The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Anybody else think that this series had a subtext of "Wake up and see the world as it is?". Rather like Muse's The Resistance album.

The first episode of "Unplug yourselves from the internet".

This made me think of the moon landing conspiracy (Particularly when you see the external shot of the lights etc)
Yeah, from the dialogue in the last scene (I revisited it on iPlayer :tongue: ) it sounds like John Hurt is some incarnation of the Doctor that besmirched the name and so wasn't able to call himself the Doctor, presumably reverting to his actual name. That would fit with the 'real 9th doctor' theory that's been mentioned on here.
Reply 1202
there's only one way to clear all our minds free of confusion ... 28th November - the day we shall all know.

now that sounds like the end of a Doctor Who episode :tongue:
Reply 1203
Could someone explain how John Hurt could be the real 9th Doctor? I can't really remember the Time War comes into this. Are people saying that the 8th Doctor reincarnated into John Hurt's Doctor - the real 9th Doctor - who then partook in the Time War and was presumably then wiped from history due to his actions that weren't "in the name of the Doctor"?
Original post by An Ignorant Duck
I'd like series finales which make more sense. RTD's finales were a perfect mix of story and action in my opinion.

I thought this episode made a lot of sense, except for the unanswered questions (which were left unanswered on purpose). Only thing that I felt didn't make sense was: why did Clara only see 11 faces+John Hurt?

If the identity of who John Hurt plays (apparently confirmed in an interview) isn't a spoiler, then I don't know what is...

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1205
I enjoyed the episode today. Nice little cliffhanger and enough unanswered questions for me to set 23rd November into my reminders.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I thought this episode made a lot of sense, except for the unanswered questions (which were left unanswered on purpose). Only thing that I felt didn't make sense was: why did Clara only see 11 faces+John Hurt?

Maybe it's where the TARDIS was dying, it was to prevent future paradoxes?
I think the TARDIS was dying, not dead in that episode.
Original post by Caitlin_dj
"There's an insane, thoroughly unsourced rumor floating around that the 50th Anniversary special's major guest star, legendary actor John Hurt, is going to be playing... the Doctor. And not just some future or alternate Doctor, but the real 9th Doctor, an incarnation that was somehow forgotten in the insanity of the Time War. And in case you're thinking this is all part of an absurdly elaborate "Screw you" to Christopher Eccleston, fear not the rumor claims that, as Hurt emerges as the forgotten 9th Doctor, Eccleston becomes the 10th, David Tennant the 11th, and Matt Smith the 12th. While I can kind of imagine Steven Moffat doing something like that, if only to piss off insane fans like myself with retroactive renumbering, it's worth stressing that there's no clear source for this rumor at present, and even if there were, it would still be wise to take it with a grain of salt."

One of my friends posted this - am finding out where she got it now but this might be it! Totally unsourced atm though

Just to pick up on this, I think it was the knee jerk reaction of everyone who had a reaction. Certainly my sister agrees and it was the first thing I thought of.

The problem I have with the theory is the amount of unanswered questions it brings in relation to series 7, and I think there are other explanations that tie in better with accordance to not only River, Clara and the great intelligence but also better explain the minor details (e.g. the doctor (said) he understood "what awaits him"). Also it doesn't really explain why Tennant and Rose would return if the 50th anniversary is themed around his name - what happened, etc.

I also think it's a bit too obvious for a Moffat plot. But that's not to say it's wrong at all, John Hurt could be the real ninth doctor. And if he is then there will be another twist instead.
Original post by Kieran?
Could someone explain how John Hurt could be the real 9th Doctor? I can't really remember the Time War comes into this. Are people saying that the 8th Doctor reincarnated into John Hurt's Doctor - the real 9th Doctor - who then partook in the Time War and was presumably then wiped from history due to his actions that weren't "in the name of the Doctor"?

Pretty much. But if you look back on Eccleston's series (particularly his first few comments) then it doesn't entirely fit.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Scienceisgood
Maybe it's where the TARDIS was dying, it was to prevent future paradoxes?
I think the TARDIS was dying, not dead in that episode.

So you think the TARDIS might have purposefully "blocked off" that part of the timeline from being accessed?
Reply 1209
Original post by Minion
Was confused as to what actually was the big revelation other than Trenzalor being his grave site. Also anyone think John Hurt's Doctor would be the one rumored to be the 'forgotten' Doctor or simply his final form..? Found it brilliant though brings it back to how much the Doctors existence really effects the universe.:biggrin:

I've read in an article that

Spoiler

I think of it as the teaser for the 50th anniversary
(edited 10 years ago)

If the identity of who John Hurt plays (apparently confirmed in an interview) isn't a spoiler, then I don't know what is...

Spoiler

Spoiler

So you think the TARDIS might have purposefully "blocked off" that part of the timeline from being accessed?

Best I can think of.
Original post by An Ignorant Duck
I'd like series finales which make more sense. RTD's finales were a perfect mix of story and action in my opinion.

What part of it didn't make sense?

The Great intelligence forced the Doctor into going to his own grave by taking his friends hostages. The Doctor opens his own grave. Inside is a link to his entire life. The Great Intelligence enters this and begins rewriting it, turning his victories into defeats. This kills him. To stop him (or what he's trying to do), Clara enters and saves the doctor (across his timeline). Then the Doctor goes in after Clara to rescue her and he does.

There have been far more confusing episodes than that.

Spoiler

I don't think we know John Hurt's Doctor actually revealed his name to the universe.

All Matt said was whatever John Hurt's Doctor did was "not in the name of the Doctor".

In a past episode, the Master said to the Doctor (when talking about their names):

Master: As you chose yours; "the man who makes people better", how sanctimonious is that?

So from this, I think Matt just meant Hurt's Doctor betrayed the meaning and "promise" of his name - to make people better.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kagutsuchi
John Hurt Spoilers

Spoiler

That's speculation not a spoiler, :mad:
Original post by Llewellyn
What part of it didn't make sense?

The Great intelligence forced the Doctor into going to his own grave by taking his friends hostages. The Doctor opens his own grave. Inside is a link to his entire life. The Great Intelligence enters this and begins rewriting it, turning his victories into defeats. This kills him. To stop him (or what he's trying to do), Clara enters and saves the doctor (across his timeline). Then the Doctor goes in after Clara to rescue her and he does.

There have been far more confusing episodes than that.

River opened the tomb.
Original post by The Mad Dog
That's speculation not a spoiler, :mad:

My speculation is associated with a spoiler.

The spoiler is to do with John Hurt

Spoiler

Better safe than sorry.
Original post by Kagutsuchi
John Hurt speculation

Spoiler

That's a really interesting interpretation of it!

It wasn't a spoiler because the speculation didn't use any info that wasn't in this episode. :tongue:
What if the Doctor was someone else prior the Doctor years? What if John Hurt was "the Doctor's name," did something terrible and then he became the Doctor - one regeneration gone which is why Clara didn't see him in the timeline!

My thoughts anyway :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Farmerboy521
What if the Doctor was someone else prior the Doctor years? What if John Hurt was "the Doctor's name," did something terrible and then he became the Doctor - one regeneration gone which is why Clara didn't see him in the timeline!

My thoughts anyway :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

John Hurt is the name of the actor, it isn't the Doctor's name. Well, I'm fairly sure it isn't his name anyway, that would be pretty poor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending