The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Endless Blue
Ah, ok, that makes sense. So is A= 3rh + r^2 correct?

A? Which area would that be referring to?
Original post by justinawe
A? Which area would that be referring to?

Sorry, I meant total surface area = that. Never mind, got the question now. Cheers :biggrin:
Original post by Endless Blue
Sorry, I meant total surface area = that. Never mind, got the question now. Cheers :biggrin:

Small unrelated question, is "cheers" frequently used as a substitute for "thanks" in the UK? I'm not british so I'm not 100% sure, but from what I've seen, it is :holmes:
Small unrelated question, is "cheers" frequently used as a substitute for "thanks" in the UK? I'm not british so I'm not 100% sure, but from what I've seen, it is :holmes:

Yep, The two are synonymous. "Ta" also means thanks. Don't worry, I had to learn quite a few words after I returned to the UK after 7 years in Trinidad!
Original post by reubenkinara
Yep, The two are synonymous. "Ta" also means thanks. Don't worry, I had to learn quite a few words after I returned to the UK after 7 years in Trinidad!

"Ta"? Never heard of that one :lol: thanks for the info, though!
"Ta"? Never heard of that one :lol: thanks for the info, though!

I think "ta" is one of the words that form the north English vernacular so as the majority of folks on here are probably Southern it's not surprising you don't 'hear' it.
Original post by reubenkinara
I think "ta" is one of the words that form the north English vernacular so as the majority of folks on here are probably Southern it's not surprising you don't 'hear' it.

Aparrently it's very popular in Australia too :tongue:

Yep. Now you just need to know not to use the americanised version of any word (Especially not Math instead of Maths) and you'll be fine. :tongue:
"Ceebs"? Really?

You mean my use of the word 'ceebs' oor the fact that it requires so little effort to calculate the corresponding y coordinates? :tongue:

Either way, haters gonna hate :cool:
Original post by DJMayes
Yep. Now you just need to know not to use the americanised version of any word (Especially not Math instead of Maths) and you'll be fine. :tongue:

British and American terms are used interchangeably here, but we normally say "Maths" and learn British spellings in school.

I personally do prefer to use British terms... I say "chips" instead of "fries" (though I tend to refer to those tiny ones you get at McDonalds as "fries"), "petrol" instead of "gas", etc... so I think I'll be alright :tongue:
British and American terms are used interchangeably here, but we normally say "Maths" and learn British spellings in school.

I personally do prefer to use British terms... I say "chips" instead of "fries" (though I tend to refer to those tiny ones you get at McDonalds as "fries"), "petrol" instead of "gas", etc... so I think I'll be alright :tongue:

Good. :ninja:

(I think we do tend to refer to the extremely skinny chips as fries but I don't tend to have those; I don't find them enjoyable at all. It's proper thick cut chips or even better, just potatoes for me.)
I don't quite know how to deal with this, a small section of my friends want to apply to the same unis as each other, we've agreed on separate colleges for cambridge (as we're all from the same school and all applying for maths) But they keep changing their choices/ wanting me to change mine, I said choose the 5 unis you want but they seem a bit insistent on remaining together for the 3 years and as we're all maths applicants and my friends have performed generally better I feel we're ruining each others chances. Anyone got any advice?

E.g. today I said I'm applying for Bristol and then a moment later hes like I'm applying for Bristol even though hes not checked the website or the course or anything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Robbie242
I don't quite know how to deal with this, a small section of my friends want to apply to the same unis as each other, we've agreed on separate colleges for cambridge (as we're all from the same school and all applying for maths) But they keep changing their choices/ wanting me to change mine, I said choose the 5 unis you want but they seem a bit insistent on remaining together for the 3 years and as we're all maths applicants and my friends have performed generally better I feel we're ruining each others chances. Anyone got any advice?

What you mean by applying for the same university? I doubt applying for the same course at the same uni will affect your chances of getting in that much...it only really applies for Oxbridge colleges...
Original post by Felix Felicis
You mean my use of the word 'ceebs' oor the fact that it requires so little effort to calculate the corresponding y coordinates? :tongue:

Your use of the word :unimpressed: "cba" is actually shorter when you're typing, so your usage of it completely defeats the purpose :teehee:

I don't think a small handful of your friends applying to the same place is going to make much difference to your chances of getting in :holmes:

I'd be more worried about people like Felix Felicis ruining our chances :colone:

Yeah, I'm not really sure about how this will affect any of your chances to be honest bar possibly Oxbridge (and even then if two of you really wanted to go to say, Christ's, I'd say go for it). I don't really think it's a good idea either unless everyone involved actually wants to go to all five universities. Chances are you won't all get offers from exactly the same places anyway and by then the idea of going to the same university may not even be an option.
What you mean by applying for the same university? I doubt applying for the same course at the same uni will affect your chances of getting in that much...it only really applies for Oxbridge colleges...

Like the same exact ones as me or want all of us to apply for the same university. I understand that I guess but I don't want them to regret their choices either, applying to uni just for friends but a course structure you don't like won't help them. I just want apply where they want to go rather than where I want to go or someone else out of our group wants to go

*confused*. What does "ceebs" mean?
Your use of the word :unimpressed: "cba" is actually shorter when you're typing, so your usage of it completely defeats the purpose :teehee:

I feel the word being monosyllabic better conveys my laziness and the stress on the double 'e' replicates the feeling when yawning :teehee:

Deal with it :wink:

Are all 3 of you applying to Pembroke?

Latest

Trending

Trending