The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justinawe

I'd be more worried about people like Felix Felicis ruining our chances :colone:

Pshh, I was more worried about people like you and Justeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen ruining my chances :tongue: Maybe we should have all collaborate so we apply to different colleges like we do at school? xD Shotgun Pembroke :colone:
I think I would've **** myself if I had applied to Pembroke this year with DJ and LotF :eek:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Are all 3 of you applying to Pembroke?

Yeah I am :tongue:

I know Robbie is and I almost certainly am but I've got other colleges in mind as well (mainly Clare atm) but that would lead to competition with joostan i.e. same problem :s-smilie:
Original post by Felix Felicis
I feel the word being monosyllabic better conveys my laziness and the stress on the double 'e' replicates the feeling when yawning :teehee:

Deal with it :wink:

Doesn't change the fact that it's 5 characters instead of 3 - your choice to spend a fraction of a second extra typing an additional 2 characters to convey your laziness shows that you still could be lazier, as you didn't choose the quickest option possible :wink:

I feel that this is undoubtedly this best "deal with it" GIF out there :colone:
Doesn't change the fact that it's 5 characters instead of 3 - your choice to spend a fraction of a second extra typing an additional 2 characters to convey your laziness shows that you still could be lazier, as you didn't choose the quickest option possible :wink:

I feel that this is undoubtedly this best "deal with it" GIF out there :colone:

What...what have I done!? :zomg: I've expend energy I'll never get back with those 2 letters :zomg:

OMFG, I haven't come across that one before, you win :adore:

I've narrowed my choices down to Pembroke, King's and Emmanuel, so possibly :tongue:
Original post by Robbie242
I don't quite know how to deal with this, a small section of my friends want to apply to the same unis as each other, we've agreed on separate colleges for cambridge (as we're all from the same school and all applying for maths) But they keep changing their choices/ wanting me to change mine, I said choose the 5 unis you want but they seem a bit insistent on remaining together for the 3 years and as we're all maths applicants and my friends have performed generally better I feel we're ruining each others chances. Anyone got any advice?

E.g. today I said I'm applying for Bristol and then a moment later hes like I'm applying for Bristol even though hes not checked the website or the course or anything.

My advice? Get the choices YOU want and leave them to it, making sure they're aware that you have no plans on changing yours to suit them. At the end of the day you're applying for yourself and that's all there is to it. If they decide they're going to change to match yours, whatever they are, then short of not telling them where you're applying there is very little you can do so you may as well pick the ones you like.

(I am glad I did not face this problem.)
I've narrowed my choices down to Pembroke, King's and Emmanuel, so possibly :tongue:

I'm also considering Pembroke and Emmanuel :biggrin:
Original post by DJMayes
My advice? Get the choices YOU want and leave them to it, making sure they're aware that you have no plans on changing yours to suit them. At the end of the day you're applying for yourself and that's all there is to it. If they decide they're going to change to match yours, whatever they are, then short of not telling them where you're applying there is very little you can do so you may as well pick the ones you like.

(I am glad I did not face this problem.)

Cheers DJ, yeah I've clearly said to them I don't want to shift my choices to the London unis (UCL, LSE, Imperial) etc. I've got 4 choices atm and they all relatively fit my criteria for a good uni for me. Thanks though, I will just leave them be now.

Yeah its a bit annoying, I like them and all but university I dunno I'd like to think I was against everyone else rather than my friends and everyone else.
Lol, so what is it about Pembroke that's made all you lot wanna apply? :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
What...what have I done!? :zomg: I've expend energy I'll never get back with those 2 letters :zomg:

OMFG, I haven't come across that one before, you win :adore:

Gary Oak is such a boss :cool:

Spoiler

Lol, so what is it about Pembroke that's making all you lot wanna apply? :tongue:

- The grounds
- The accommodation
- The Library
- The societies
- The dining room
- The excellent maths department
- Interesting speakers, diverse people and a great mix
- Great professors
- In the middle of Cambridge basically, not on the outskirts
- uhh I'll think of more later

A lot of these are universal across Cambridge though so it's kinda hard to distinguish a college for its application factor, though when I arrived it was generally a great place

Original post by Robbie242
Yeah I am :tongue:

I think I would've **** myself if I had applied to Pembroke this year with DJ and LotF :eek:

Allow me to interject here before you all get too worked up by who is planning on applying to which college and so on - don't. Your chances of getting a place are approximately constant independently of which college you apply to. You may as well apply to the one you like the most as if too many people apply there and you don't get a place there you'll still get a place somewhere else if you're good enough. On the other hand, if you apply somewhere else just because there's the competition the only difference is you know you don't get first consideration from your preferred college, so there's little point.

(Also, if everyone applied somewhere else because they expected competition there wouldn't be competition... :lol: )

Lol, so what is it about Pembroke that's making all you lot wanna apply? :tongue:

I wonder... :rolleyes:
Lol, so what is it about Pembroke that's made all you lot wanna apply? :tongue:

Aesthetics
General atmosphere of the place when I visited.
I know, very vague...
Original post by DJMayes
Allow me to interject here before you all get too worked up by who is planning on applying to which college and so on - don't. Your chances of getting a place are approximately constant independently of which college you apply to. You may as well apply to the one you like the most as if too many people apply there and you don't get a place there you'll still get a place somewhere else if you're good enough. On the other hand, if you apply somewhere else just because there's the competition the only difference is you know you don't get first consideration from your preferred college, so there's little point.

(Also, if everyone applied somewhere else because they expected competition there wouldn't be competition... :lol: )

Yeah any Cambridge college would be ideal tbh but Pembroke is my preferred, so hence my choice :smile:
Original post by DJMayes

:s-smilie: I'm serious, I've never been.
(edited 10 years ago)
I take pity on my friend that applied to Cambridge this year as he had some very stiff competition from TSR alone!

Also I've heard that someone in the lower 6th wants to apply to Pembroke next year, it seems like there is going to be a lot of competition on TSR for Pembroke by the sounds of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've asked this before (sorry :redface:), but can I complete A2 maths on a different board (CIE) after finishing AS maths on Edexcel?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MathsNerd1
I take pity on my friend that applied to Cambridge this year as he had some very stiff competition from TSR alone!

Also I've heard that someone in the lower 6th wants to apply to Pembroke next year, it seems like there is going to be a lot of competition on TSR for Pembroke by the sounds of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remember TSR's is still a small sample :tongue:
Original post by MAyman12
I've asked this before (sorry :redface:), but can I complete A2 maths on a different board (CIE) after finishing AS maths on Edexcel?

No.

Especially not in this situation, CIE is linear and Edexcel is modular!

Latest

Trending

Trending