The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Jennienarwin
Curley's wife didn't come up on the January paper,Crooks did.Slim didn't come up on the foundation paper did he?:/

sorry i got it mixed up :colondollar:

on the january 2011 foundation paper OMAM - curleys wife
on the june 2012 paper higher OMAM - curleys wife

January 2013 founation paper OMAM -slim
so june 2013 may be slim????

i think that is it//

ryan
Original post by JustaDreamer
:eek: They do? Do they do this for all clusters? (I'm doing character and voice)

I think so yeah:smile:
I have a question about the poem 'Quickdraw,' why does Duffy use an ambiguous title?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 783
Original post by 123..help me
Can someone comment and give me some suggestions and an idea of what grade you would give this please?

Extract pg 45 "The old man came slowly" until "you got to take him" pg 46
How does Steinbeck make this extract so moving and revealing?

Steinbeck makes the moment when George gets annoyed with Candy listening to his conversation with Lennie so moving by making this the only chapter where the only people on the farm with companions meet. At this moment Candy enters and claims that he was just "scratchin' his dog."This can be considered his form of communication with his dog, likewise Lennie and George talking about being relatives. George wanted some privacy and wanted to make sure Lennie was safe and he didn't want anyone to know that Lennie wasn't really his cousin as that's what he has told the boss, in order to escape from the boss's suspicion towards the unusual friendship between ranchmen. Candy loved his dog and his companionship likewise George and Lennie depended on each other. Candy and George had somethign that no other man on the ranch had, a companion. The way Candy changes the topic quickly when George comments "that's a hell of an old dog" exhibits his fear of losing his companion because he knows himself that his dog is now past its age of survival and th dog's quality of life is now being restricted as the dog "got no teeth" and "is all stiff with rheutamism." This foreshadows the next chapter when Candy's dog get killed and Carlson justifies this by reassuring Candy that he"ll put the old devil out of misery". Thi smakes this moment so moving, as Candy's reluctance to talk abuot his old dog reinforces his need and dependancy on his dog because all other ranch men were lonely and loneliness and friendship are the key themes in this novella. Candy knew that if he let go of his friendship he will like everyone else be delved into the sea of loneliness. Another reason for Candy's reluctance to talk about his old dog is because he himself is old and vulnerable having lost an arm and therefore sees his dog as his reflection and killing the dog to him seems like a reminder that he will get killed too. This links to life in America in 1930's where migrant ranch workers were often seen as animals instead of humans as when they reached the end of the life cycle they were more likely to be sacked from their jobs and ut on the streets

Another way Steinbeck makes this moment revealing is through his description of Candy's old dog. The reader is confronted with the imagery of an old and vulnerable "drag-footed sheep dog" which is disadvantaged in every way in life and has reached the end of its life cycle. The use of the words "drag-footed"reveals how the dog's life was dragging on and on even thoguh it was now useless for the dog is now in pain and "blind in the eyes." This states that the dog has no more purpose in life other than being a tool of comfort for Candy, who has "had im' ever since he was a pup." This reflects the relationship between George and Lennie as George had known Lennie ever since Lennie was a small boy and the have lived together for most of their life and shared the same sense of love and friendship as Candy and his dog. Steinbeck's description of the dying dog reveals that the dog has no more use and the best thing to do is to kill the dog.

Steinbeck also makes this moment moving by his introduction of George and Candy's new friendship. George is "reassured by the swamper's defence" and asks him to "come on in and set down." This is moving as George is almost apologetic for his rude behaviour and he almost learns that the "swamper" can be trusted. Another reason why this is moving is because the next time these three character, George, Lennie and Candy are on their own they all talk about their American Dream and are on the verge of fulfillign it together and they discuss about their happy life together but at the end of the novel everyhting is ruined and the American Dream is destroyed as Lennie is killed. After the death of his source if comfort;his dog, Candy's only source of comfort was the fulfillign of the American Dream but Lennie's death ruins that dream too. Though, Candy does try to convince George by asking that "you an' me can go there an' live nice" event though this ends up being a failed attempt.
Also Steinbeck makes this moment revealing by indicating some of the lifestyles of ranch men. The theme of loneliness has come across as an underlying layer throughout this novella, we could even say that the aim of this novella is to exhibit the fact that in 1930's America,every person suffered fom loneliness because at the end of the novel, every man or woman is lonely and on their own, even Candy and George's companions have died. This clearly displays the lifestyle of ranchmen. Candy reinforces George that he "didn't hear nothing you guys were saying" by telling him that " a guy on a ran don't never listen nor he don't ast no questions," this not only demonstrate Candy's realisation of George's need for some privacy but also explains to the reader the way of life and hwo bored ranchmen were as they didn't ever bother listening to what was happening around them and they weren't interested in other people's matter. This further supports the lonely lifestyle of ranchmen. This linsk to ranchmen in American in 1930's who had no choice other than to migrate in search of jobs and this meant that they never really settled anywhere to start a new family as they had to live on raches to work there and getting jobs was very hard too. Steinbeck makes this moment also revealing by hinting some violence and bitterness from someone as mature as George as he almost threathens Candy that he shouldn't listen to what he talks with Lennie "if he wants to stay workin' long." The word long indicates a sense of bitterness and makes the reader almost get shocked to who this words come from because George is usuall as mature and fairly "good fella." This may have been used by Steinbeck to suggest that George values his friendship with Lennie mroe than anything, even morality and respect for elders. This also states George's fear of losing the job as jobs had great demand and if the boss found out that Lennie wasn't really his cousin he will be "canned" and wno't be able to make "a stake" to fulfill their American Dream.

Thank you very much :smile:
Sorry if it was too bad, I tried in timed conditions (45 minutes)

it was good and i would give it most marks but u need to show your engagement with the text for example,-this line speaks out me showing... this resonates with me... Also i think u need to talk abit more about steinbecks intentions.Otherwise that is great :smile:
Reply 784
Original post by ryanb97

i think that is it//

ryan

What was it like in 2012?

EDIT: Stupid question :redface:
Reply 785
Can any of you give me some tips on how to memorise quotes? I have one day till my exam, and I'm still unable to memorise any. :-( Helpppp

Posted from The Student's Room iPhone/iPad App
Reply 786
Original post by ThatGuyWithLSD
Hi im doing OMAM and AIC does anyone have any revision materials for these such as what characters represent or the contrasts displayed by the writer?

thanks

yea i do send me your email quick and ill send them..
Reply 787
Original post by N Kay
Same!!! I haven't done anything at all, I've been driving around, listening to music hahahah. I'm calling Kim later.
What, really? Are you going to the biology tomorrow?
Xo

Posted from The Student's Room iPhone/iPad App

NO WAY.. HAHAHA Bull*** You've been studying your ass off! And yes i'm going to Bio.. youu? Hahahah kim.... Let him motivate you :wink:
Original post by ryanb97
ive got FM on wednesday and friday...grrr the unit 1 exam is on birthday..why couldnt i have been born in july..grr

C2/3 ..maths ??

ryan

Chemistry 2
Chemistry 3
Original post by ryanb97

i think that is it//

ryan

Did Slim come up on January 2013 Foundation paper? I'm sure he came up June 2012..
Original post by ryanb97

i think that is it//

ryan

Corrected :tongue:
January 2011-
Foundation: Candy
Higher: Candy

June 2011-
Foundation: George and Lennie
Higher: George and Lennie

Jan 2012-
Foundation: Curley's wife
Higher: Bunkhouse and Inhabitants

June 2012-
Foundation: Slim
Higher: Curley's Wife

Jan 2013-
Foundation: Bunkhouse and Inhabitants
Higher: Crooks

June 2013-
Foundation: Crooks ?
Higher: Slim ?

If only we knew the Foundation January 2013 questions :redface:

EDIT: I've just been told that foundation January 2013 was bunkhouse and inhabitants :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 791
Original post by BP_Tranquility

yh i meant that :banghead:
Reply 792
January 2011-

June 2011-

Jan 2012-

June 2012-

Jan 2013-
Foundation: ?

June 2013-

Foundation jan 13 was slim :smile:
Reply 793
Original post by cjslions

Sorry that's wrong it was the bunkhouse!!!!!!!
Reply 794
January 2011-

June 2011-

Jan 2012-

June 2012-

Jan 2013-

June 2013-

It was bunkhouse and inhabitants!!

So did Slim appear in both June 2012 and January 2013 for Foundation? :s-smilie:

(the June 2012 foundation paper contains Slim in it :wink: )

EDIT: Never mind, just saw your latest post :smile:
It was bunkhouse and inhabitants!!

Thanks- I've updated my post :wink:

According to the pattern, the higher june 2013 question may be Slim and the foundation one may be Crooks... :redface:
So that must mean that it will be Slim?

Or they could put Curley for both foundation and higher, AQA are always up to something..
Does anyone what question appeared for the Crucible in January 2013 Foundation out of interest? :smile:
Does anyone what question appeared for the Crucible in January 2013 Foundation out of interest? :smile:

Mary warren and the ending of each act building tension or something on higher, didnt read question properly
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest