The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
:s-smilie: I'm serious, I've never been.

OK then:

- The college is beautiful
- It's incredibly central (Just off the main market iirc) but very few tourists seem to know where it is
- Well situated for Maths as it's supposed to be opposite the buildings where first and second year lectures take place, and it has a bus stop to the main center for mathematical sciences (Absolutely amazing place, if I never go back there I'll be very sad indeed) right outside the college
- It's a very relaxed and friendly place, whereas some other colleges have a far more serious atmosphere
- One of the cheapest rents in Cambridge (£100 per week is about the most expensive)
- Amazing food, supposed to be the best in Cambridge

For me, the main thing with Pembroke was simply how nice it felt - whereas other colleges I visited felt very uptight, Pembroke felt very laid back and relaxed (Hopefully other people who've visited can back me up on this) which instantly endeared me to it. In addition to this, to me it seemed to win on all of the little things as well.

Original post by MathsNerd1
I take pity on my friend that applied to Cambridge this year as he had some very stiff competition from TSR alone!

Also I've heard that someone in the lower 6th wants to apply to Pembroke next year, it seems like there is going to be a lot of competition on TSR for Pembroke by the sounds of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which course did he apply for, and which college? After having to compete with LotF for a place I can understand what that feels like... :lol:
ave difficulty feeling sympathetic towards a lot of
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Remember TSR's is still a small sample :tongue:

Yeah but contains some of the elite applicants! My friend has now decided to firm Nottingham and insure Leeds which he hardly needs to do much to get in, just get 80 in either M2 or FP2 and 85 in C4 whilst getting a high B in this last Chemistry exam! Wish I could be in that position now but I'd rather get into Warwick than Nottingham :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justinawe
No.

Especially not in this situation, CIE is linear and Edexcel is modular!

I thought it was impossible too:tongue:

I've heard CIE has November sessions, do they? If that's true then I would be able to catch up.
Original post by justinawe
No.

Especially not in this situation, CIE is linear and Edexcel is modular!

Are you sure? It's been done in other instances that I know of. At least with AQA and Edexcel. But then CIE is linar. Hmmm.
I suppose the person go ahead and learn the A2 material and do all 6 exams next year.
LOL 3 prospective Valencians already? Here we go again. :lol:
Original post by DJMayes
OK then:

- It's incredibly central (Just off the main market iirc) but very few tourists seem to know where it is
- Well situated for Maths as it's supposed to be opposite the buildings where first and second year lectures take place, and it has a bus stop to the main center for mathematical sciences (Absolutely amazing place, if I never go back there I'll be very sad indeed) right outside the college
- It's a very relaxed and friendly place, whereas some other colleges have a far more serious atmosphere
- One of the cheapest rents in Cambridge (£100 per week is about the most expensive)

For me, the main thing with Pembroke was simply how nice it felt - whereas other colleges I visited felt very uptight, Pembroke felt very laid back and relaxed (Hopefully other people who've visited can back me up on this) which instantly endeared me to it. In addition to this, to me it seemed to win on all of the little things as well.

Which course did he apply for, and which college? After having to compete with LotF for a place I can understand what that feels like... :lol:

Yup I can back you up on this, it was the immediate impression I got when I visited, I had looked around queens and trinity as well on the day and it all seemed a bit more serious than Pembroke (though only for a about 10minutes in each one so don't know that well how they all are).
Original post by reubenkinara
Are you sure? It's been done in other instances that I know of. At least with AQA and Edexcel. But then CIE is linar. Hmmm.
I suppose the person go ahead and learn the A2 material and do all 6 exams next year.

Four papers.:tongue: At least I've idea about two of them. But FM is **** I would have to take statistics wether I like it or not:frown:
Original post by DJMayes

He applied for Maths at Pembroke and even though he had an average of 97% across his 3 best A levels he wasn't successful after interview, but he wasn't too fussed as he said he would probably have rejected them anyway as he felt like he had to apply and go there just because he got an offer, although he wasn't too fond of it really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Following on from the DE/induction stuff, I have a couple of questions for you:

- STEP II 2000 Q8 and Q9

Q8 is a standard DE's question with a bit of limits and so is the sort of thing you're after practice on. Q9 is a Mechanics DE also on the paper which you might want to try. The paper unfortunately doesn't have a specific induction question (There's a bit in complex numbers but nothing substantial) but it does have 2 DE's, and is illustrative of why DE's are a good topic to be comfortable with. :lol:
Original post by Lord of the Flies

Wasn't there like 8 people applying to Pembroke from TSR this year? I remember it being quite a large portion compared to the other colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DJMayes
OK then:

I can vouch for this, having spent almost a week in Cambridge on a conference in March. I think that Pembroke's location is absolutely perfect; the grounds are stunning; food is excellent; and most importantly, as you say, it has a really great 'feel' :tongue:. It's a very strange phenomenon that isn't easily explained. I mean, I went into St. John's and absolutely hated it from the moment I was charged for entry (which I wasn't supposed to be! :furher: ) but felt really at ease in Pembroke (and I should point out in one or two other colleges too).
He applied for Maths at Pembroke and even though he had an average of 97% across his 3 best A levels he wasn't successful after interview, but he wasn't too fussed as he said he would probably have rejected them anyway as he felt like he had to apply and go there just because he got an offer, although he wasn't too fond of it really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The competition was pretty intense - there were at least 8 TSR applicants alone! I think me and LotF were the only two from TSR who got an offer from Pembroke, although another who was pooled received an offer in the pool.

Secretly they're all applying there for the prospect of us, I know it. :tongue:
Wasn't there like 8 people applying to Pembroke from TSR this year? I remember it being quite a large portion compared to the other colleges.

That sounds about right, it might even have been 10. When was your friend there? I may have met him/her :biggrin:

Original post by DJMayes

So true :ninja:
D2 maths anyone???? PLEASEEEE HELP ME!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see well at least don't completely rule them out as they honestly can be some nice marks to get in the actual exam, with that being said I've completely ruled out the Stats questions as its been far too long since I practiced any of the methods so I wouldn't know where to start with them. :tongue: I feel like I should try more of the Mechanics questions as some of them can be easier than some pure questions which could be touch and go with me at the minute, but we shall see how it goes on the day :tongue:

Also while on the topic how is your preparation coming along for STEP, AEA and all your other Maths exams?

STEP isn't going as badly as thought it would be. I remember when I first started and I literally couldn't do a single question, whereas as now I can usually get at least a couple of full solutions in a paper. AEA is very hit and miss for me. The fact that you need to answer every question on the paper makes it quite difficult sometimes. I'm happy with where i'm at at the moment, but I still need to do a lot more work. I've got the 2009-2012 papers which i'm going to do as mocks under timed conditions to properly sense where i'm at.

As for the other maths exams, C4 i'm fine with. As long as I just do the papers i'm given in class, I shouldn't need to do much more. FP2 I think i'm happy with most of it, although I still need to a little bit more work on complex numbers (loci) and second order D.E's. And don't get me started on D2 :lol:. I know pretty much all of it, I just lose so many marks in the papers. I did the 2012 paper as a mock in class and got 63/75 (B) :grumble:. But I think just practising some of the questions and i'll be fine with that. So in terms of maths, I think i'm fairly ok. It's chemistry I need to worry about mainly now. I have a lovely list of transition metal colours to learn :no:.

How is your maths? I'd imagine your okay with FP2 and C4 now, and are you sitting any other maths exams? And how is your chemistry going? Are you resitting all the units, or only a few of them?
Original post by DJMayes
The competition was pretty intense - there were at least 8 TSR applicants alone! I think me and LotF were the only two from TSR who got an offer from Pembroke, although another who was pooled received an offer in the pool.

Yeah I remember earlier on in the year seeing it all and how when the offers came out only certain people actually updated their application status.

I'm quite envious of him as he basically does nothing whatsoever in terms of practice for exams but doesn't get any less than 97% and he was asked to compete in the Olympics a few years ago but turned them down to carry on his education, he's competed all over the world in Karate tournaments though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beautywithbrains
D2 maths anyone???? PLEASEEEE HELP ME!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing D2. D2=not nice.
That sounds about right, it might even have been 10. When was your friend there? I may have met him/her :biggrin:

So true :ninja:

Yeah he went to the interview on the days allocated, although I can't actually remember which one but he's quite tall and has a large build, he's constantly at the gym and training for Karate and working than actually doing his work. Does it about 20 minutes before its due in, I'm going to best him one of these days! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DJMayes

Thanks for the suggestion on the DE questions and I'll have a go at them tomorrow after my shift at work, that paper seems rather nice too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah he went to the interview on the days allocated, although I can't actually remember which one but he's quite tall and has a large build, he's constantly at the gym and training for Karate and working than actually doing his work. Does it about 20 minutes before its due in, I'm going to best him one of these days! :biggrin:

I met someone who fits that description, if he was on the 12th then it probably was him. If I get in I'll apply for a helpers position (DJ probably will too), so we might meet you guys in December. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending