The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scienceisgood
I am assuming the timelords had to log all their regenerations and once the reached number 12, they removed their ability to regenerate possibly through the use of a virus with a vector to remove the regeneration gene (A level bio ftw!) meaning they die a natural death.

If they hadn't logged their regenerations, I am assuming they would have been executed on the spot or something.

So really, the Doctor could regenerate endlessly?
November is too far away :frown:
Original post by Mr.Messy

Spoiler

Now. Where is that 50th clip we were promised?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Em8lmmTNkA
I am assuming the timelords had to log all their regenerations and once the reached number 12, they removed their ability to regenerate possibly through the use of a virus with a vector to remove the regeneration gene (A level bio ftw!) meaning they die a natural death.

If they hadn't logged their regenerations, I am assuming they would have been executed on the spot or something.

Except in the classic show the Master tried to regenerate past his end and ended up basically a walking zombie.
Original post by Kagutsuchi
So really, the Doctor could regenerate endlessly?

If he chose to, although, Timelord politics has not gone into much depth given The Doctor is now the final word on Timelord politics if you remove timelord or human/timelord hybrids currently in existence including the following;

Jenny (The Doctor's Daughter)
Donna Noble
River Song
The Master (Who's fate is currently unknown)

The biology isn't known that well either.
Original post by drbluebox
Except in the classic show the Master tried to regenerate past his end and ended up basically a walking zombie.

Not seen the classic, although, I did look on the wiki for The Master and saw a zombified version. I thought this was a consequence of an action of his own plan which went wrong though.

If this is true, it sounds as though whenever a timelord regenerates, their DNA degrades each time meaning at the 13th regeneration, the tissue becomes unstable.
Huh.

A Time Lord past its 13th form:

Oh man. Why does Moffat deliberately title episodes 'The Name of the Doctor' and then not reveal what it is? I'm fine with not knowing it, but he's taking the piss by constantly going on about it like some off-screen plot device. I've already said I don't care what his name is, why on earth does he think I'd be interested in watching an episode where everyone's 'I know what his name is hahahaha boo hiss boo'. **** you, Moffatt.

Yeah, and saying 'introducing John Hurt as The Doctor' over his face was pretty dumb, but I guess the show has to appeal to the lowest common denominator, namely dumbass children who can't be arsed to read it in the credits or recognise him from Harry Potter/Merlin. My immersion into the episode was completely ruined by that. I enjoyed that reveal, even though it was spoiled for some reason (how about you keep your show secret instead of having your actors reveal the plot in interviews?)

Dumbass BBC

That's brilliant. I was hoping for a sneak peak of the 50th though. :sad:
Original post by Snagprophet
Oh man. Why does Moffat deliberately title episodes 'The Name of the Doctor' and then not reveal what it is? I'm fine with not knowing it, but he's taking the piss by constantly going on about it like some off-screen plot device. I've already said I don't care what his name is, why on earth does he think I'd be interested in watching an episode where everyone's 'I know what his name is hahahaha boo hiss boo'. **** you, Moffatt.

Actually I've been thinking that "The Name of The Doctor" refers to Matt's line about Hurt doing something which isn't in the name of the doctor, probably the genocide of the Daleks & Time Lords.

Looking back though, The Silence say that "Silence must fall when the question is asked", meaning that they don't want him to open his Tomb for the GI to go and destroy 99% of the Universe.,,,,,are the Silence good guys? :confused:
Not seen the classic, although, I did look on the wiki for The Master and saw a zombified version. I thought this was a consequence of an action of his own plan which went wrong though.

If this is true, it sounds as though whenever a timelord regenerates, their DNA degrades each time meaning at the 13th regeneration, the tissue becomes unstable.

Been a while but I think the implication was at the time that the dna only broke down when trying to regenerate past its limit but even talks then said the limit was likely pre set rather than natural as Rassilon was said to be in his tomb but they didn't know if he was really dead or could die.
Reply 1251
Just finished watching the Finale! Double Yoo Tee ****! That ending. THAT ENDING! SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

Loved every second of that episode.

Yeah, and saying 'introducing John Hurt as The Doctor' over his face was pretty dumb, but I guess the show has to appeal to the lowest common denominator, namely dumbass children who can't be arsed to read it in the credits or recognise him from Harry Potter/Merlin. My immersion into the episode was completely ruined by that. I enjoyed that reveal, even though it was spoiled for some reason (how about you keep your show secret instead of having your actors reveal the plot in interviews?)

Dumbass BBC

Imagine if most took it as though The Doctor's name was John Hurt. What if it is? :rofl2:

50th

Spoiler

Dumbass BBC

Because the episode wasn't about revealing his name, it was about revealing that the doctors name is a promise- ie, when he becomes the valeyard he isn't the doctor.
Original post by Cnuofesd
I think Jon Hurt Doctor kills River Song.

No, she killed herself in the library in saving the doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone's going on about

Spoiler

but I'm really not that bothered about that reveal :sad:

I'm more intrigued by the mention of the Valeyard... I'm not entirely sure why :erm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Gjaykay
Actually I've been thinking that "The Name of The Doctor" refers to Matt's line about Hurt doing something which isn't in the name of the doctor, probably the genocide of the Daleks & Time Lords.

Looking back though, The Silence say that "Silence must fall when the question is asked", meaning that they don't want him to open his Tomb for the GI to go and destroy 99% of the Universe.,,,,,are the Silence good guys? :confused:

Yes it's been known for quite a while now. They are the silent guardians of the universe - remember they had been on Earth for hundreds of years living with humans. Anyway, they tried to kill the Doctor before hand in order to prevent him from going to Trenzalore, opening his tomb and destroying the universe. They trained River Song to kill him but the irony there is she is the one that actually opened the tomb!
Original post by snowyowl
I'm more intrigued by the mention of the Valeyard... I'm not entirely sure why :erm:

It would be quite worrying if the Doctor does become as dark as they say and become the Valeyard...
Reply 1258
Original post by snowyowl
Everyone's going on about John Hurt being the 9th Doctor but I'm really not that bothered about that reveal :sad:

I do like the fact that the Valeyard is in the showrunners mind. I was always slightly worried that that part of 'Classic Who' would get ignored when we finally do get to the 12th doctors regeneration.
What is the Valeyard?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending