The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by Mr M
I haven't even seen the question. He may well be right.

Question 6b.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=216954&d=1368831446

As a maths teacher what do you think - is it examiner dependent?
Reply 601
I expect once all the papers are marked they will realize and maybe mention it in the markscheme.
Original post by OllieGCSEs
The question asked for a percentage, therefore I wouldn't be surprised if they docked a mark for a decimal. I would have thought the final A1 mark will be for the percentage stated

Posted from TSR Mobile

one mark for standardising
2nd mark for doing 1 - P ( X < 225 )
3rd mark for 2.74% or 0.0274

betting my hunches on the mark scheme being that for that particular question
Original post by Fas
OE = or equivalent isn't it ?

Yes.
Original post by Fas
one mark for standardising
2nd mark for doing 1 - P ( X < 225 )
3rd mark for 2.74% or 0.0274

betting my hunches on the mark scheme being that for that particular question

Oh right, well if it's only three marks then they'll probably over look it
Original post by Xx4L3x
As a maths teacher what do you think - is it examiner dependent?

No. The team will receive guidance on how to mark the question. A decimal may require full credit or result in one lost mark. That decision is entirely down to the Principal Examiner. If he or she wants to make the paper slightly more difficult, this is one way to achieve it.
Original post by Tit

6c) - Last normal distribution question - I did what a few people were saying before: I wrote:
P(X<210)-P(X<200) = 0.98
P(z<5/sigma)-P(z<-5/sigma)=0.98
then I converted 0.98 into its z value, so:
5/sigma - -5/sigma = 2.06
5/sigma + 5/sigma = 2.06
5+5=2.06sigma=10
so sigma = 10/2.06=4.85 something.
How many marks would i get for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I keep bringing this up but it's really bugging me, does anyone have any thoughts?
I keep bringing this up but it's really bugging me, does anyone have any thoughts?

i had a look , but i got the same answer you did - i dunno why but if you did P ( X > 210 ) = 0.01 or P ( X < 200 ) = 0.01 then you'd get 2.15 , but thats weird cos the way you did it should get the right answer but it doesn't :s-smilie:
Reply 608

You will lose 2 marks I think
Original post by Fas
i had a look , but i got the same answer you did - i dunno why but if you did P ( X > 210 ) = 0.01 or P ( X < 200 ) = 0.01 then you'd get 2.15 , but thats weird cos the way you did it should get the right answer but it doesn't :s-smilie:

Nah, the reason we were wrong was because, if you imagine it, we said that P( X < 210 ) - P( X < 200 ) =0.98, so we said that it is the area from the far left side 98% of the way to the right, whereas actually there was a small area of the graph on the left side that isn't included in our probability... I hope that kind of makes sense?
Reply 610
Original post by Graham981
On the Jan 2012 S1 paper, for a Venn diagram question, they say the following in the mark scheme:

"All values/100 or equivalent fractions award accuracy marks."

Obviously in the case of this question, it would be 33/200 etc.

so you should get all the marks, unless they decide to be strict and wipe of the accuracy marks.

As the question said to represent events, I'd say that probabilities would be best of all.
Nah, the reason we were wrong was because, if you imagine it, we said that P( X < 210 ) - P( X < 200 ) =0.98, so we said that it is the area from the far left side 98% of the way to the right, whereas actually there was a small area of the graph on the left side that isn't included in our probability... I hope that kind of makes sense?

ohh yeah i getcha
Reply 612

i did the same thing :/

how many marks of the 4 do u think we will get

2?
Reply 613
Original post by Arsey
Decent paper, every question had been asked before, nothing sneaky or too hard at all.

1. Correlation and regression - pretty easy but took a long time. Part e) will be poorly answered.

2. Box plots - very easy

3. Probability - pretty easy

4. Mean, sd, median, coding - all pretty simple

5. drv - I thought this was easy but I can see it causing problems

6. Normal distribution - standard.

Quite a bit easier than Jan, but S1 boundaries are generally low as a higher prortion of weaker candidates take S1. The highest summer boundary in the last 10 years was 61.

I am going for 62 for an A.

This summer I will upload solutions to the following Edexcel papers:

Core 1;
Core 2;
Core 3;
Core 4;
FP1;
M1;
M2;
S1;
D1;
D2.

I will try to get hold of some solutions for FP2; FP3 and M3.

I don't do S2 :frown:

All papers will be uploaded in line with site rules (please don't PM me asking when I will I be uploading them).

hey, small doubt. in the last question where we had to find the SD, i multiplied the actual answer by 2. will i be at least getting marks for the working?
Reply 614
Original post by Olly2304
Venn Diagram Question Solution.pngWould this gain any marks for the Venn Diagram question? Anyone else get this?
Thanks

Looks perfect to me, but I'm not Edexcel.
Original post by GrandMasterChe
i did the same thing :/

how many marks of the 4 do u think we will get

2?

I don't know, i'd take 2 if i was offered them, I'm hoping Arsey will let us know what he thinks
Original post by Fas
ohh yeah i getcha

Sweet
Reply 617
I don't know, i'd take 2 if i was offered them, I'm hoping Arsey will let us know what he thinks

I think the only mark you might get is a method mark for standardising.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 618
Original post by chigyy
anyone?

I thought that was right.
Reply 619
Original post by Mr M
No. The team will receive guidance on how to mark the question. A decimal may require full credit or result in one lost mark. That decision is entirely down to the Principal Examiner. If he or she wants to make the paper slightly more difficult, this is one way to achieve it.

Indeed. It would be pretty daft to deduct a mark for this but they might.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending