The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

The Silence have become the most incompetent villains on Doctor Who, "Let's kill the Doctor so the universe won't get destroyed!"

Blow up the TARDIS to kill him and end up destroying the universe
Create a psycopath to kill him and end up with her opening the tomb
Original post by Imperial_Maniac
Because the episode wasn't about revealing his name, it was about revealing that the doctors name is a promise- ie, when he becomes the valeyard he isn't the doctor.

That's still deliberately provoking us and laughing at us that they know and we don't his name. His real name's the password to get in the grave, oh dear, lucky that plot device was spoken off screen and out of the audio. How long do you reckon they're still going to go on about the fact that they know his name but us?

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1263
Original post by Watch Key Phone
What is the Valeyard?

He is a dark form of the Doctor that was created during the regeneration of the 12th to the 13th Doctor. He was in the series when Colin Baker was the Doctor.
Reply 1264
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1368912557.496108.jpg hey guys, is that David in the background or someone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1265
What?! Omg my head hurts, that episode was so good (so much better than the other episodes this series) but that ending came out of nowhere!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Henna x
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1368912557.496108.jpg hey guys, is that David in the background or someone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, its from the Silence in the Library episode.
Reply 1267
Original post by Snagprophet
That's still deliberately provoking us and laughing at us that they know and we don't his name. His real name's the password to get in the grave, oh dear, lucky that plot device was spoken off screen and out of the audio. How long do you reckon they're still going to go on about the fact that they know his name but us?

They probably don't even know his name, it will never be revealed and if a writer tries to create one it will ruin the show.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Henna x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks like David Tennant.
Original post by Henna x

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is definitely Tennant's Doctor in the background, the scene is from the Forest of the Dead.
Original post by Kagutsuchi
It would be quite worrying if the Doctor does become as dark as they say and become the Valeyard...

As in... Screen episodes with him as the Valeyard? I don't think I'd like that.

Original post by Yoghurt
I do like the fact that the Valeyard is in the showrunners mind. I was always slightly worried that that part of 'Classic Who' would get ignored when we finally do get to the 12th doctors regeneration.

I always love throwbacks to Classic Who, as I grew up watching it (back on UKTV Gold, those were the days!) :biggrin:

Original post by Watch Key Phone
What is the Valeyard?

Taken from the Valeyard's Wikipedia page:

Wikipedia
The Valeyard is a fictional character from the long-running British science fiction television series, Doctor Who. He is described as an amalgamation of the Doctor from between his twelfth and final incarnations.

Source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeyard
Original post by Snagprophet

They never will, the only name that could possibly shock people is if The Doctor turned out to be The Master, and that doesn't make any sense. Any other name would leave people disappointed at how pointless learning his name was, it makes no sense to ever reveal his name. Anyway the episode never promised his real name, it lead you to believe it would but the title is still apt since Matt Smith's Doctor comments that John Hurt's version shunned his name.
Reply 1272
Original post by The Batman
That is definitely Tennant's Doctor in the background, the scene is from the Forest of the Dead.

How do you know so much about doctor who?! I've seen all the episodes since it started in 05 and I've learnt more about the story from your last few comments than I have watching all the episodes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was obvious that they weren't going to reveal his name even from when they said the title of the episode - it would be a massive anti-climax for a start.
But that John Hurt bit at the end was brilliant - and would have been a total shock if it hadn't been for the fantastic, informative reporting of a certain tabloid (*cough* the mirror *cough*). WHY NOVEMBER 23RD???????
Original post by Scienceisgood
Question - Shortly after the Great Intelligence demanded The Doctor's name, he said something and as soon as he said that, the TARDIS opened, I know he didn't say his name but I didn't catch what he said (even though River said his name off screen).

It sounded like Reese? Or perhaps RElease?
Reply 1275
Original post by snowyowl
Everyone's going on about John Hurt being the 9th Doctor but I'm really not that bothered about that reveal :sad:

I'm more intrigued by the mention of the Valeyard... I'm not entirely sure why :erm:

Me too :teeth:
Reply 1276
Original post by de_monies
It sounded like Reese? Or perhaps RElease?

"Please"
As soon as I heard that something about this episode had been spoiled, I avoided the internet and any entertainment type news source like the plague.

Thank God I did, because the John Hurt reveal was EPIC and a complete surprise to me.

From a brilliant opener to a brilliant cliffhanger. What an episode.

Now begins the waiting game...
Original post by D4rth
How do you know so much about doctor who?! I've seen all the episodes since it started in 05 and I've learnt more about the story from your last few comments than I have watching all the episodes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I don't know how to answer that really. I've been watching the show since 'Tooth and Claw' in series 2 and I've just payed really close attention to what was happening plus the fact that I get a lot of information from the 'Gallifrey Base' website (I recommend signing up). :smile:
OR maybe, just maybe...

Spoiler

Reply 1279
Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza
As soon as I heard that something about this episode had been spoiled, I avoided the internet and any entertainment type news source like the plague.

Thank God I did, because the John Hurt reveal was EPIC and a complete surprise to me.

From a brilliant opener to a brilliant cliffhanger. What an episode.

Now begins the waiting game...

I'm going to suffer waiting!!!I'm such an impatient person so this going to kill me!

Quick Reply

Latest