The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brittanna
Thanks, and you too :smile:.

Thanks :biggrin: We're going to ace these exams and get into Warwick, I just know it!
Original post by MAyman12
That's exactly how I thought about my friend. I thought that one week of his life is just too much for me (I'm the laziest person you would have the misfortune to meet:tongue:, an hour of studying a day is more than enough for me).

I really can't comprehend how busy he is:confused:

Yeah I thought I do quite a lot compared to other people in my year but he just makes my efforts look like nothing in comparison, I just feel his natural talent will eventually run out and then I'll be better off as I know what its like to work for my grades :tongue:
Original post by DJMayes
No, it would just be a fairly tasteless joke about getting past interview. Besides, it would not be fair for me to go on about someone I've never met/spoken to for the few reasons other than perhaps a twinge of jealousy.

Fair enough and yeah you got an offer from them when he didn't which says something :tongue: I still wouldn't compare him to you at all as he's definitely not in your league and to be honest he seems more into the sports side rather than Maths which he's chose to study for the next 4 years.
Original post by MathsNerd1
Fair enough and yeah you got an offer from them when he didn't which says something :tongue: I still wouldn't compare him to you at all as he's definitely not in your league and to be honest he seems more into the sports side rather than Maths which he's chose to study for the next 4 years.

Well, Maths is all I have. :lol:
Yeah I thought I do quite a lot compared to other people in my year but he just makes my efforts look like nothing in comparison, I just feel his natural talent will eventually run out and then I'll be better off as I know what its like to work for my grades :tongue:

It's worse because he's my best friend too. :s-smilie:
Original post by MAyman12
It's worse because he's my best friend too. :s-smilie:

I see, mine is just someone I talk to during lesson considering we're the only 2 doing A2 Chemistry :tongue:
Original post by DJMayes
Well, Maths is all I have. :lol:

Well at your level I'd say that's enough, if I was just half as good as you then I'd be pretty ecstatic! :biggrin:
Well at your level I'd say that's enough, if I was just half as good as you then I'd be pretty ecstatic! :biggrin:

You should aim higher than that; there are people on this forum far better than I am.
Original post by DJMayes
You should aim higher than that; there are people on this forum far better than I am.

Oh I will and do but I just feel like I took an interest in Maths far later than others on here so have a lot to do to catch up on. But I feel with quite a lot of practice I'll improve to match others on this forum.
Oh I will and do but I just feel like I took an interest in Maths far later than others on here so have a lot to do to catch up on. But I feel with quite a lot of practice I'll improve to match others on this forum.

How can you pinpoint exactly when you took an interest in Maths? :lol:

I know for myself it's difficult to make an exact pinpoint. It's always been my favourite subject, and when choosing A Levels Maths and Further Maths were the only two definite A Levels there, and when in year 12 there was never any decision on which course to apply for in year 13 - it was always going to be Maths, and didn't even bear a second thought. However, even with all this I don't think I got a conscious obsession with the subject until the end of year 12, when I first started looking at STEP and self-teaching Maths.

(I think that perhaps a large advantage I have is that I started STEP revision "A question a day" at the start of October because I knew STEP was going to be the big hurdle. However, it's worked well - I've now done 623 questions, and am doing quite a high amount (8 today) each day alongside A Level revision.
Original post by DJMayes
How can you pinpoint exactly when you took an interest in Maths? :lol:

I know for myself it's difficult to make an exact pinpoint. It's always been my favourite subject, and when choosing A Levels Maths and Further Maths were the only two definite A Levels there, and when in year 12 there was never any decision on which course to apply for in year 13 - it was always going to be Maths, and didn't even bear a second thought. However, even with all this I don't think I got a conscious obsession with the subject until the end of year 12, when I first started looking at STEP and self-teaching Maths.

(I think that perhaps a large advantage I have is that I started STEP revision "A question a day" at the start of October because I knew STEP was going to be the big hurdle. However, it's worked well - I've now done 623 questions, and am doing quite a high amount (8 today) each day alongside A Level revision.

Well when choosing my A levels Maths was a definite but I chose Law instead of Further Maths to begin with and after the first lesson I decided that it wasn't going to be for me and I'd try to chance at Further Maths but was under the impression I'd drop it at A2 as I wanted to go into Medicine to begin with, after results day I decided to keep it up and it wasn't until about December time when I created my account on here that I found out how far behind I was compared to others on here which pushed me more. I then decided to self teach the rest of C4, look ahead in FP2 and look through the M1 and M2 content. I started to look at STEP as Warwick was an aspiration but I couldn't find any questions that I could actually do at that time so just gave up on it.

A few months on in February and March after finishing C4 content I found I could actually do some questions so I thought I'd have my try at the exams and since doing the questions it has made the A level Maths and Further Maths modules look very simple in comparison. I should now be able to get 4 solutions on a paper although this could change depending on what topics come up.

A few months on in February and March after finishing C4 content I found I could actually do some questions so I thought I'd have my try at the exams and since doing the questions it has made the A level Maths and Further Maths modules look very simple in comparison. I should now be able to get 4 solutions on a paper although this could change depending on what topics come up.

Well, I'm certainly glad that (From the impression I've gotten) DE's seem to be coming along nicely as an addition to your repertoire of STEP questions, due to the frequency with which they come up as there is one on most papers. They're one of my favourite topics along with induction, although I'm lucky in that I'm alright with most topics, and the only two things I actively avoid are vectors and obscure stats (e.g. moment generating functions)
Original post by DJMayes
Well, I'm certainly glad that (From the impression I've gotten) DE's seem to be coming along nicely as an addition to your repertoire of STEP questions, due to the frequency with which they come up as there is one on most papers. They're one of my favourite topics along with induction, although I'm lucky in that I'm alright with most topics, and the only two things I actively avoid are vectors and obscure stats (e.g. moment generating functions)

Yeah, it's beginning to appear quite possible that I'll be able to answer 4 questions correctly and maybe some partials too! I want this 1,1 now and you're right about them being in most papers, it's the same with projectile questions and calculus ones too, they always seem to appear in some form or another.

I'm still unable to understand the series questions and the obscure pure question dealing with manipulation of numbers and approximations but I feel I should just leave them for the purpose of STEP preparation and instead build on the topics I'm already comfortable with so I'm able to answer the majority of questions which arise in the topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beautywithbrains
D2 maths anyone???? PLEASEEEE HELP ME!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you need help with? :smile:
Original post by DJMayes

A very simplistic question DJ but one I need answered immediately if possible.

You see in C2 integration when we have a curve and line intersecting it, and we want to find the area in between, sometimes when I do it one way it works and other times it doesn't, when would you do curve-line in the integral, and when would you do line-curve because it seems to alternate a bit cheers.
Original post by Robbie242

You see in C2 integration when we have a curve and line intersecting it, and we want to find the area in between, sometimes when I do it one way it works and other times it doesn't, when would you do curve-line in the integral, and when would you do line-curve because it seems to alternate a bit cheers.

It should be logical and common sense.

Draw the lines as limits and see what's going on.

Sometimes there isn't any subtraction, and just adding.

As a flimsy rule of thumb, it's

Line - Curve when it's the tiny bit in between them.

I don't think it matters as you take the magnitude of the definite integral for the Area. And usually, this is the rule (I think). If g(x) is beneath f(x) then it's f(x)-g(x) to find the area you want.
What I've said can be expressed mathematically as
(edited 10 years ago)

Draw the graphs. If the line is below the curve then you do the area underneath the curve minus the area underneath the line and if the line is above the curve, you do the opposite.
Original post by reubenkinara
I don't think it matters as you take the magnitude of the definite integral for the Area. And usually, this is the rule (I think). If g(x) is beneath f(x) then it's f(x)-g(x) to find the area you want.

Oh so by ''the curve'' would it mean the part which it turns (the turning point/minimum/maximum), in one case here it says the line y=12 and y=x(4+x) so am I right in saying the line would be on top?
Original post by Fuzzy12345
i) P(X=5)=(115)(34)5(134)6\mathbb{P} (X = 5) = \displaystyle\binom{11}{5} \left(\dfrac{3}{4} \right)^{5} \left(1-\dfrac{3}{4} \right)^{6}

ii) P(X=0)=(110)(p)0(1p)11=0.05\mathbb{P} (X = 0) = \displaystyle\binom{11}{0} \left(p \right)^{0} \left(1-p \right)^{11} = 0.05

Var(X) for a binomial distribution = np(1-p)

Thanks for your help fuzzy! I realised how to do it like a minute after posting! I kept using Var(x) for a geometric distribution *facepalm* thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending