The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 2 May 21st 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Freyaaaaaa
Ok great!

There's a really good book for the skills papers at AS and A2, it's Collins AQA Geography Units 2 and 4, you can get it from amazon etc. I don't know if you'd have time to get it but if not I'm sure there's plenty online! Maybe try s-cool - I haven't looked for skills but it often has some useful stuff :smile:

Original post by ivanttopass
can someone please explain what a GIS is please and how its used :frown:

Original post by Whiskerella
I've only used the mean as a method of analysing my data? Will this suffice or should I learn something more complex in the hope of getting better marks?

Original post by Tazza93
Can anyone tell me advantages/disadvantages of spearmnas rank?

Original post by Tabby.1.2
can someone help, i can never put together a good answer for the 'purpose of your fieldwork enquiry' question.
i was investigating how discharge increases downstream
could someone write a few points i need to include please ?

Original post by Melissajwilson
Advantages - statistical and scientific so it's reliable, tells us exactly how confident we can be with our data, scatter graphs only show a general trend

Disadvantages - hard to understand, long procedure, gives no explanation as to why the relationship is significant, ignores extremely high or low values

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by homefind
yay, a unit 2 discussion!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by lucasluke
What would a disadvantage and advantage of spearmans rank be?

Do we say
"we" or "i"
Because it was a group thing after all :s-smilie:
Reply 61
Original post by Blueray2
Do we say
"we" or "i"

U already said we :L

Do we say
"we" or "i"

Say me

Posted from TSR Mobile

What happens if you say we?

I don't think it matters which one you say but using 'I' and 'me' is probably better :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by polka dots :)
I don't think it matters which one you say but using 'I' and 'me' is probably better :smile:

You wouldn't get marked down for using a particular one just try and stick to one and not interchange between several, it'll read better and be clearer for the examiner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
F that sheet, i'll write we, still get marks for it as long as its answered correctly. :biggrin:

You get a U automatically
is it too late to start revising properly?
Reply 69
Original post by cyberphilic_9999

just because it is 3 days before the exam doesnt mean you shouldn't revise
Reply 70
Original post by cyberphilic_9999

no! Make sure you know all answers to all possible questions they could ask you about your fieldwork, learn all different ways for displaying data and make sure you can describe trends from data. Also practise stats - spearmans rank/standard deviation etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Okay

For the fieldwork section you should know the following things about your study:

- the aim of your study
- your hypothesis
- the theory you based your study on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would an aim be describing what you went to do - e.g. see how river characteristics changed downstream of ... and see how the results varied against the Bradshaw Model
Hypothesis is just stating what you think would happen and why?
You get a U automatically

Are you sure??!!
Are you sure??!!

Haha only kidding
Original post by lucasluke
Would an aim be describing what you went to do - e.g. see how river characteristics changed downstream of ... and see how the results varied against the Bradshaw Model
Hypothesis is just stating what you think would happen and why?

If the aim is only a 1 or 2 mark question then it could be something like: To investigate the changing characteristics of the river Tillingbourne.
If you get a 5 mark question on the aim then you'd have to say where you conducted your enquiry. You could explain the theory behind your investigation, such as the Bradshaw model. Also, you could outline your hypothesis and explain why you predicted what you did . :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by ksullivan96
The question is basically asking you three things:

What you were investigating/aim

What hypothesis you had

What you thought would happen and why it would happen.

For instance the hypothesis would be that discharge increases down stream which you agree with because there are more tributaries, which means there is a bigger drainage basin and so there is more water.

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 76
What is a good structure to follow when answering questions such as "Describe the trend shown in figure 1", in section 1 of the paper?
Reply 77
Original post by MobQ
What is a good structure to follow when answering questions such as "Describe the trend shown in figure 1", in section 1 of the paper?

I would say if it shows a correlation, give the highest/lowest values, compare to other values then say if there are any anomalies present

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by MobQ

i tend to state:
- general trend
- extreme figures, i.e lowest and highest
- anomalies

sometimes it says 'describe the trend in figure 1..' but then later in the question sneakily adds in 'and suggest/explain/justify' etc, so if if says this i add in generic reasons such as
(e.g question on river discharge) deforestation, urbanisation, snowmelt etc.
Reply 79
Hi guys, does anybody know how to describe the method of drawing a rose diagram and justifying it as your choice of data presentation? I did fieldwork in snowdonia investigating the angel and orientation of glacial striations but I'm not sure how to justify the choice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending