The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Do they take the aggregate score of both papers and then give you a grade? I was told that you can only get a certain grade if you get it in both papers, which I highly doubt anyway but confirmation would be nice :tongue:
Reply 221
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Do they take the aggregate score of both papers and then give you a grade? I was told that you can only get a certain grade if you get it in both papers, which I highly doubt anyway but confirmation would be nice :tongue:

No your grade is based on your ums score out of 120 which is based on your marks out of 75 (the whole paper). Just like section A and B last year.
Reply 222
Original post by ThatRandomGuy

Its based on UMS. A* is the tricky one. You need I think 90% UMS in your A2 modules in total, so you could do full UMS in Unit 5 and 6, but 90UMS. So long as it adds up to 270UMS. It may be that you only need 80% UMS overall with the 90% at A2, of 90% AS and A2. I maybe mistaking the last part with the Maths A level.

The other grades are simple enough. A is 80% UMS, B is 70% , C 60% etc.
Is it just my computer messing me around or is the physics page of the aqa website down?
Reply 224
Anyone else having problem with the AQA site?
Also, can anyone upload a formula sheet for A2 please? Would be hugely helpful. :smile:
Its just you
Reply 226
Original post by Beth_L_G
Is it just my computer messing me around or is the physics page of the aqa website down?

same problem here. :frown:
Original post by igloo1
same problem here. :frown:

Now I can't access any of the aqa website :/

They do love to muck up just as everyone needs them don't they!
wow im finding this unit harder than i expected, the questions seem to be really vague and dont precisely tell you what they want.
aaaaaaaarghhh!!!!!!!
Hi everyone, got a question i need help on please.
For reference nelson thornes chapter 9.7 qn 4ai

A cardiac pacemaker is a device used to ensure that a faulty heart beats at a suitable rate. The required electrical energy in one type of pacemaker is obtained from the energy released by a radioactive isotope. The radiation is absorbed inside the pacemaker. As a result, the absorbing material gains thermal energy and heats a thermocouple attached to the absorbing material. The voltage from the thermocouple provides the source of electrical energy for the pacemaker.

Discuss whether the radioactive source should be an alpha, beta or gamma emitter.

Any help appreciated thanks.
Original post by UnvesedSplash
Hi everyone, got a question i need help on please.
For reference nelson thornes chapter 9.7 qn 4ai

A cardiac pacemaker is a device used to ensure that a faulty heart beats at a suitable rate. The required electrical energy in one type of pacemaker is obtained from the energy released by a radioactive isotope. The radiation is absorbed inside the pacemaker. As a result, the absorbing material gains thermal energy and heats a thermocouple attached to the absorbing material. The voltage from the thermocouple provides the source of electrical energy for the pacemaker.

Discuss whether the radioactive source should be an alpha, beta or gamma emitter.

Any help appreciated thanks.

This probably isn't as hard as you think....

... alpha is least penetrating but causes great harm inside the body, so that's a huge no no. I believe Gamma radiation does the least damage to body tissues :smile:

As well as this I think Gamma radiation has most energy and will provide sufficient energy for the pacemaker.

Also something I've just read recently on the news actually ! A boy discovered that the magnetic parts inside the iPad (for the smartcovers) can switch of pacemakers, which of course is highly dangerous :smile: Gamma radiation is the only radiation in this case not effected by magnetic fields
Original post by posthumus
This probably isn't as hard as you think....

... alpha is least penetrating but causes great harm inside the body, so that's a huge no no. I believe Gamma radiation does the least damage to body tissues :smile:

As well as this I think Gamma radiation has most energy and will provide sufficient energy for the pacemaker.

Also something I've just read recently on the news actually ! A boy discovered that the magnetic parts inside the iPad (for the smartcovers) can switch of pacemakers, which of course is highly dangerous :smile: Gamma radiation is the only radiation in this case not effected by magnetic fields

that's great thanks :smile:
i got the same reason for disregarding alpha, but could not think of disregarding beta. Just to confirm it can't be beta because magnetic/electric fields affect the radiation
Original post by UnvesedSplash
that's great thanks :smile:
i got the same reason for disregarding alpha, but could not think of disregarding beta. Just to confirm it can't be beta because magnetic/electric fields affect the radiation

Ah never knew myself being an apple fan-boy would ever help me with my Physics, aha :biggrin: I still need to start this unit properly... I'm resitting all modules though so I'm having difficulties finding time :frown:
We didnt have a choice, we do turning points :smile:

If I could pick I would definitely pick astro :')

Tbh I'm finding turning points alright, a lot of maths really :') special relativity just blows my mind :redface: but I actually understand now.

Only just finished the spec this week, so gonna revise revise revise now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SortYourLife
We didnt have a choice, we do turning points :smile:

If I could pick I would definitely pick astro :')

Tbh I'm finding turning points alright, a lot of maths really :') special relativity just blows my mind :redface: but I actually understand now.

Only just finished the spec this week, so gonna revise revise revise now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We were going to do medical physics, and then switched to Turning Points... I think it's the shortest choice & it can be pretty interesting :biggrin:

Best of luck with revision ! :smile: don't have too much fun :tongue:
We were going to do medical physics, and then switched to Turning Points... I think it's the shortest choice & it can be pretty interesting :biggrin:

Best of luck with revision ! :smile: don't have too much fun :tongue:

Yeah I hated the fact we didnt get a choice to begin with, but do quite like it now :')

I would have definitely hated doing medical physics, can't be doing with all that, proper creeps me out !

Good luck to you too :smile:

I'm resitting unit 2 too but that'll be out the way in a few weeks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I hated the fact we didnt get a choice to begin with, but do quite like it now :')

I would have definitely hated doing medical physics, can't be doing with all that, proper creeps me out !

Good luck to you too :smile:

I'm resitting unit 2 too but that'll be out the way in a few weeks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So am I :smile: so good luck with that too...

I'm doing all modules in fact so I have unit 1 exam tomorrow :biggrin:
So am I :smile: so good luck with that too...

I'm doing all modules in fact so I have unit 1 exam tomorrow :biggrin:

Ouch! Don't think I could do unit 4 again.... I got like a mid C on that but aiming for a B overall so it's fine I think, I can pick up max 29 from unit 2, aiming for 25 :smile:

I hated unit 1.... We did unit 2 before unit 1, but ah just hated all the particle stuff, somehow managed to get an A in that one though :s

Weird aha, I know a few people resitting unit 1 tomorrow, so good luck :biggrin:

I'm quite happy that this time round all my exams are morning, as when in January they were all afternoon, and with me doing C3 and M2 for maths, they were on the same day at the same time, not nice :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ouch! Don't think I could do unit 4 again.... I got like a mid C on that but aiming for a B overall so it's fine I think, I can pick up max 29 from unit 2, aiming for 25 :smile:

I hated unit 1.... We did unit 2 before unit 1, but ah just hated all the particle stuff, somehow managed to get an A in that one though :s

Weird aha, I know a few people resitting unit 1 tomorrow, so good luck :biggrin:

I'm quite happy that this time round all my exams are morning, as when in January they were all afternoon, and with me doing C3 and M2 for maths, they were on the same day at the same time, not nice :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

snap ! :biggrin: I can get a max of 29 UMS from unit 2 as well (I got 91UMS last year). I scraped an A in both Unit 1 & 4... the reason I'm retaking is I get Us in the ISAs and I need to get an A overall :frown:

Oh wow luckily that hasn't happened to me yet ! I've only had to sit 2 exams in one day once (the first time I sat AS which was a bit harsh :biggrin: ). C3 & Unit 4 are on the same day, so I don't know how I'll cope... I have about 3 hours in-between to prepare for unit 4 :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending