The Student Room Group

What if I DON'T include household income?

Hiya, just a "quick" question...
I've used a few calculators about finding out how much finance I am entitled to and it seems to be that my parents earn too much for me to warrant any amount of grant or large sum of loan. I'll have no living costs while at Uni, so even the small amount of maintenance loan that I'm entitled to will be far more than I need.

So basically, I don't need any more than the standard entitlement which I think is £9000 tuition and nearly £3000 loan.

My question is could I just not include household income? Are there any pros and cons about not including household income? Next year could I include it if need be?

I'm having a lot of troubles submitting our household income and SF aren't being very helpful.. so this is why I ask as the deadline is fast approaching :eek:

Thankssss :biggrin:
Original post by bethanychoo
I've used a few calculators about finding out how much finance I am entitled to and it seems to be that my parents earn too much for me to warrant any amount of grant or large sum of loan. I'll have no living costs while at Uni, so even the small amount of maintenance loan that I'm entitled to will be far more than I need.

So basically, I don't need any more than the standard entitlement which I think is £9000 tuition and nearly £3000 loan.

My question is could I just not include household income? Are there any pros and cons about not including household income? Next year could I include it if need be?

I'm having a lot of troubles submitting our household income and SF aren't being very helpful.. so this is why I ask as the deadline is fast approaching :eek:

You can apply without taking household income into account, and you're correct you will only be eligible for Maintenance Loan and Tuition Loan.

I believe you could include it next year, as you have to reapply at that point.
Reply 2
Original post by ExWunderkind
You can apply without taking household income into account, and you're correct you will only be eligible for Maintenance Loan and Tuition Loan.

I believe you could include it next year, as you have to reapply at that point.

Thanks for your reply :cute:, so you reckon there are no hidden nasties if I choose not to use our household income?
Thanks for your reply :cute:, so you reckon there are no hidden nasties if I choose not to use our household income?

I don't believe so. I got this from the SFE PDF

"you choose not to provide details of your
parents’ income because you only want
support that is not assessed on your household
income. If your parents do not give these
details, you may get the full Tuition Fee Loan
but only 65% of the Maintenance Loan if
you are 2012 cohort student, 72% if you are
a 2009 cohort and 75% if you are not a 2009
cohort student. Student Finance England will
usually look at your parents’ residual income
for the financial year 2010-11. But if your
parents’ residual income has fallen by 15%,
they can ask Student Finance England to look
at their likely income for the
current
financial
year. Your parents’ income will be added to
yours to arrive at the total household income.
Using your household income, Student
Finance England will work out what support
you are entitled to and whether your parents
should make a contribution, and if so, how
much it will be"

I haven't been means tested this year as I wouldn't get more than the minimum amount - it's totally fine and you apply as if from scratch for next year.
Reply 5

Not only are there no nasties but the whole thing is approved so much quicker :smile:
There aren't any nasties, but I an highly sceptical of the idea that you will have no living expenses - even if you are living at home you week still need bus fares, new clothes, snacks, society membership fees, beer money and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
There aren't any nasties, but I an highly sceptical of the idea that you will have no living expenses - even if you are living at home you week still need bus fares, new clothes, snacks, society membership fees, beer money and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She can pay for that from the basic loan, it'll be more than enough if she has to pay for neither accommodation nor daily food.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
She can pay for that from the basic loan, it'll be more than enough if she has to pay for neither accommodation nor daily food.

I know, but she also states

I'll have no living costs while at Uni, so even the small amount of maintenance loan that I'm entitled to will be far more than I need.

Which rather suggests to me that she is being unrealistic about the cost of living.
Reply 9
hi i'm in the same boat. i'm 99.99999% sure i'm not entitled to anything extra but the minimum. my parents are helping me out with any extra living expenses that the maintenance loan does not cover. so is it ok to not declare their income? i'm scared i'm won't get the minimum if i don't declare my income (some places say up to 65% of the full thing - ie. up to £3575 a year... is this wrong? am i entitled to the £3,575 no matter what?) or that i'm missing something.
Original post by dinner dawg
hi i'm in the same boat. i'm 99.99999% sure i'm not entitled to anything extra but the minimum. my parents are helping me out with any extra living expenses that the maintenance loan does not cover. so is it ok to not declare their income? i'm scared i'm won't get the minimum if i don't declare my income (some places say up to 65% of the full thing - ie. up to £3575 a year... is this wrong? am i entitled to the £3,575 no matter what?) or that i'm missing something.

my daughter ticked the box

her student finance was sorted almost instantly

she gets the 3575 ... you only get less than this if you are receiving some grant too
Original post by dinner dawg

As TenOfThem said, you will get the full £3575 and also the paperwork will be sorted almost immediately which is great.
Reply 12
Original post by Origami Bullets
I know, but she also states

Which rather suggests to me that she is being unrealistic about the cost of living.

I think I'm being very realistic actually, I didn't mention in my original post that I've actually made a budget planner - I know how much transport is going to cost, estimated book/stationary costs etc.. treats and social events are going to come out of my personal income & the savings I've made during my gap year, and given myself some leeway just in case :smile: so the amount money really isn't an issue, i was just concerned about pros and cons of not including income, thanks for your reply! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Thanks for everyone's input - you've made me a lot more confident about not including income! :biggrin: I have now submitted my application, requested less loan than what was offered with no issues; easy peasy!:tongue: Thanks guys!! :hugs:
You may get this link helpful for getting more details for your student loan and maintenance loan application thanks.
I think I'm being very realistic actually, I didn't mention in my original post that I've actually made a budget planner - I know how much transport is going to cost, estimated book/stationary costs etc.. treats and social events are going to come out of my personal income & the savings I've made during my gap year, and given myself some leeway just in case :smile: so the amount money really isn't an issue, i was just concerned about pros and cons of not including income, thanks for your reply! :biggrin:

So you will have living costs, it's just that you plan on paying for then in other ways...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending