The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
How much do you think doing most of the past papers will help if I have the average knowledge on most of the topics?
Reply 101
Original post by dakenSoren
You're clearly working for OCR and will rat all the people who are going to PM you now. :biggrin:

Original post by ss2012
I hope this is a joke:/

i joke i joke..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Joseph-
i joke i joke..

Hmmm from some gentle stalking I think we have a quite a bit in common: programming, computers, chemistry, maths, further maths, gym :biggrin:
You hoping to do CompSci or something at Uni?
Here is those long word question answers
(edited 10 years ago)
on the first one I think you mean Galileo :smile: really good notes though thank you
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by madrevision
on the first one I think you mean Galileo :smile: really good notes though thank you

Dammit, yeah I did mean Galileo.
All fixed now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 106
It's tomorrrooowwwwww, gleep! I'm feeling a lot more confident this time round though. We had a new lady start recently at college who's head of maths and science and she's been amazing. She actually spent a good three hours of her time helping me with the concepts I was struggling with, giving extra questions, marking them and giving me pointers for giving better answers in some cases. She's been amazing, I can't thank her enough. I'm going to do some last minute past papers today and some questions on the bits I'm still a bit unsure on, but for the most part, feeling much more confident.

I'm hoping for a more maths-y paper this time round, too. I didn't think January's paper was too bad but I do prefer the maths side of it.
Reply 107
What does everyone think is very likely to come up this time round??

I think vectors look promising
Anyone got a model answer for how a crumple zone works?
Reply 109
Personally I think stress/strain and all that material stuff with feature. There was only that YM question in January if I'm remembering this correctly. SUVAT will most likely come up and tension will too probably (as much as I hope it doesn't).

Very helpful notes, however it's important to state that Galileo used a smooth inclined plane for his experiments so that they could be slowed down in order to time the motion :smile:
Things that will apear

Crumple zones, Seat belts No GPS

Stress and strian graphs

Normal moment questions

And a massive 7 marker defo ¬ probz how to measure young modulus
Original post by hosamthemaster
Things that will apear

Crumple zones, Seat belts No GPS

Stress and strian graphs

Normal moment questions

And a massive 7 marker defo ¬ probz how to measure young modulus

thanks for this, I better go learn how to tackle the 7 marker.
Original post by OllieGCSEs
Very helpful notes, however it's important to state that Galileo used a smooth inclined plane for his experiments so that they could be slowed down in order to time the motion :smile:

Ah, didn't know that thanks.
Reply 114
Can anyone explain whether its stronger to have springs in parallel or series and what difference does it make?

there isn't anything on it in the book :/
Original post by JASApplications
Anyone got a model answer for how a crumple zone works?

My notes on Crumpl Zones

-Parts of the car (Normally Front and Back) are designed to collapse during collision.
-So in an accident this will increase the distance of the force.
-Time is also increased which will decrease the deacceleration.
-Decreasing the deacceleration will lead to a smaller force because of F=ma.
Reply 116
Original post by ss2012
Can anyone explain whether its stronger to have springs in parallel or series and what difference does it make?

there isn't anything on it in the book :/

I think it's stronger to have them in series. I think it's because the force is then shared out between them and it's going to stretch less, whereas if you are putting the same force on two springs in parallel, they're just going to stretch even further.
Original post by ChloeB43
I think it's stronger to have them in series. I think it's because the force is then shared out between them and it's going to stretch less, whereas if you are putting the same force on two springs in parallel, they're just going to stretch even further.

Where does it say about series and parrallel in the spec? Can't find anything about it

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/81024-specification.pdf
Original post by yodawg321
My notes on Crumpl Zones

-Parts of the car (Normally Front and Back) are designed to collapse during collision.
-So in an accident this will increase the distance of the force.
-Time is also increased which will decrease the deacceleration.
-Decreasing the deacceleration will lead to a smaller force because of F=ma.

This answer is more appropriate for seatbelts and airbags i think - crumple zones are designe to absorb some of the energy from a collision

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 119
Original post by yodawg321
Where does it say about series and parrallel in the spec? Can't find anything about it

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/81024-specification.pdf

Its not in the spec and that's why I haven't learned them but I've just seen a question on one of the legacy papers on it and that made me ask..

Latest

Trending

Trending