The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1300
[video="youtube;1A4JfCmu5oc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A4JfCmu5oc[/video]

Have a feeling this is somewhat relevant
Why the 'introducing John Hurt as the Doctor' at the end? It just took the entire effect away. If you had been living on another planet for decades and didn't know who John Hurt was then just look at the end credits!
Original post by rhw
[video="youtube;1A4JfCmu5oc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A4JfCmu5oc[/video]

Have a feeling this is somewhat relevant

Yes true! Would rep but I'm all out :/
187 days.......
The episode wasn't excellent, but it was far better than any other episode this series. It's just a shame that the writers can't utilise Matt Smith's amazing acting more than writing rubbish stories with awful endings.
So, here are my rankings for Series 7 as a whole (bar 2 episodes).

1. Nightmare In Silver
2. The Name of The Doctor
3. The Bells of Saint John
4. Hide
5. Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
6. The Power of Three
7. Cold War
8. The Rings of Akhaten
9. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
10. The Angels Take Manhattan
11. Asylum of the Daleks
12. The Crimson Horror

I haven't seen The Snowmen or A Town Called Mercy so I haven't included them.
So, agree? Disagree?
I haven't had a chance to read through the latest comments but I have to say, I was left disappointed by that episode.

I mean, it was was good, really good. One of the best episodes for a while. But with all the build up, I expected to be taken aback but the awesomeness of it... But I wasn't. Maybe I'm just nervous for exams. Maybe it's because I expected a better answer to "Doctor Who?" Actually, I don't even know what the answer was....

As for John Hurt:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only good episodes in the whole series were The Name of The Doctor, Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS and The time agent lost in time (can't remember name of ep)
Original post by Rascacielos
I haven't had a chance to read through the latest comments but I have to say, I was left disappointed by that episode.

I mean, it was was good, really good. One of the best episodes for a while. But with all the build up, I expected to be taken aback but the awesomeness of it... But I wasn't. Maybe I'm just nervous for exams. Maybe it's because I expected a better answer to "Doctor Who?" Actually, I don't even know what the answer was....

As for John Hurt:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the episode was excellent.

I think the biggest issue this episode had was hype. This was the most hyped episode of Doctor Who I have seen in a long time.
Hmmm. I'm in two minds.

On the one hand, the first 80% of that episode was much of a muchness. It was all a bit rushed.
But on the other hand, I'm happy Moffat didn't totally change the game for the series.

I'm on the John Hurt = 9th bandwagon.

We know kind of what the Doctor did during the Time War. We know that it was distressing to him and he doesn't talk about it - demonstrated by Ecclestone's fantastically dark performance.

It's a twist I'm intrigued by, and hope the 50th will be an entertaining explanation of exactly what went down during the time war.

My two cents is that they aren't technically renumbering everyone. Hurt is an incarnation of the Doctor, but as he didn't follow the principle of the Doctor (by ending the Time War how he did), he will be the only one that goes by the Doctor's given name.

Brother's out of control speculation below. Just for the lulz:

Spoiler

Has there been any rumours of Timothy Dalton being in the 50th btw? Would be schweet.
Reply 1310
Original post by ChocolateMelody
Why the 'introducing John Hurt as the Doctor' at the end? It just took the entire effect away. If you had been living on another planet for decades and didn't know who John Hurt was then just look at the end credits!

I personally loved that bit. But I can understand why some might find it a bit jarring.
Original post by pinkpenguin
Hmmm. I'm in two minds.

On the one hand, the first 80% of that episode was much of a muchness. It was all a bit rushed.
But on the other hand, I'm happy Moffat didn't totally change the game for the series.

I'm on the John Hurt = 9th bandwagon.

We know kind of what the Doctor did during the Time War. We know that it was distressing to him and he doesn't talk about it - demonstrated by Ecclestone's fantastically dark performance.

It's a twist I'm intrigued by, and hope the 50th will be an entertaining explanation of exactly what went down during the time war.

My two cents is that they aren't technically renumbering everyone. Hurt is an incarnation of the Doctor, but as he didn't follow the principle of the Doctor (by ending the Time War how he did), he will be the only one that goes by the Doctor's given name.

Brother's out of control speculation below. Just for the lulz:

Spoiler

Has there been any rumours of Timothy Dalton being in the 50th btw? Would be schweet.

I was thinking exactly the same-we don't even get to see how The Great Intelligence changed the Doctor's victories to defeats and the effects of the people in those stories, obviously it would have been hard to do it with the old Doctors but the effects and how the Great Intelligence did it could still have been shown with recreated sets.I wonder how The Doctor and Clara are going to escape from the Doctor's timeline and repair the Doctor's timeline because it has been destroyed by the Doctor going in to save Clara.I think I might lodge a complaint on the thing with John Hurt because you can't just add extra incarnations of the Doctor and we all know the Doctor's actions in the Time War were bad.I do see the Doctor in a bad way but not in the way Steven Moffat is suggesting, more like an evil meddler- there is a lot of evidence in the series to suggest this eg.The Rings of Akaten a great example.It also destroys 8 years of fandom of 8th-9th and is an absolutely terrible Matt Smith's portrayal is probably the 6789th Doctor because all the rest have been forgotten by The Doctor and the Doctor's greatest secret isn't John Hurt's Doctor but his name and Steven Moffat knows this but wants extra publicity.
(edited 10 years ago)

As for John Hurt:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

There wasn't an answer to "Doctor Who?"

Also does everyone remember "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Asking the question at the Doctor's tomb gives access to the most dangerous thing in the universe - his timeline, and changing that...we saw how that changed the universe...silence fell.
Original post by Dalek1099
I was thinking exactly the same-we don't even get to see how The Great Intelligence changed the Doctor's victories to defeats and the effects of the people in those stories, obviously it would have been hard to do it with the old Doctors but the effects and how the Great Intelligence did it could still have been shown with recreated sets.I wonder how The Doctor and Clara are going to escape from the Doctor's timeline and repair the Doctor's timeline because it has been destroyed by the Doctor going in to save Clara.

I agree.

How great would it have been to have a two-parter, in which the Doctor's past is erased in the first half, and then Clara saves the day in the second?

I assume that the Doctor and Clara being in the Doctor's timeline is how we lead into them meeting our lovely special guests in the 50th, but it'll be interesting to see how they get out!

Also, this may have been something I missed entirely, but...

Who/What is the Great Intelligence?

Was this ever covered or do you think we'll see him again?
Original post by Politics Student
I thought the episode was excellent.

I think the biggest issue this episode had was hype. This was the most hyped episode of Doctor Who I have seen in a long time.

I think it's the hype that let me down. If there hadn't been any no doubt I would have been much more impressed by the episode. The fact that Moffat was describing it as a "game changer" etc let me down. We all know the Doctor has a dark past - John Hurt didn't exactly take me by surprise. It was all quite predictable once it got going.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's the hype that let me down. If there hadn't been any no doubt I would have been much more impressed by the episode. The fact that Moffat was describing it as a "game changer" etc let me down. We all know the Doctor has a dark past - John Hurt didn't exactly take me by surprise. It was all quite predictable once it got going.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreeing. He likes building things up and getting people to be like OMG WHAT'LL HAPPEN AAAAH and then it's all a bit disappointing because it's doesn't match up to the hype. I reckon it would work a lot better if he hadn't hyped it up. It was still a really good ep though, I'm uber excited for the 50th now!
Original post by Sherlockedd
Agreeing. He likes building things up and getting people to be like OMG WHAT'LL HAPPEN AAAAH and then it's all a bit disappointing because it's doesn't match up to the hype. I reckon it would work a lot better if he hadn't hyped it up. It was still a really good ep though, I'm uber excited for the 50th now!

I am, and I'm not. I'm worried that the 50th plotline is too obvious, i.e.

Spoiler

There has to be something else otherwise it's going to be a letdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
There wasn't an answer to "Doctor Who?"

Also does everyone remember "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Asking the question at the Doctor's tomb gives access to the most dangerous thing in the universe - his timeline, and changing that...we saw how that changed the universe...silence fell.

Surely it would be "silence will fall when the question is answered." i.e. The password to his tomb.

Just a thought: if it was River who said his name to open the tomb, then Clara must have heard it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1318
Original post by pinkpenguin
I agree.

How great would it have been to have a two-parter, in which the Doctor's past is erased in the first half, and then Clara saves the day in the second?

I assume that the Doctor and Clara being in the Doctor's timeline is how we lead into them meeting our lovely special guests in the 50th, but it'll be interesting to see how they get out!

Also, this may have been something I missed entirely, but...

Who/What is the Great Intelligence?

Was this ever covered or do you think we'll see him again?

The great intellengence was one of the Drs older enemes, but he has appeared more recently, firstly startign with the snowmen and then the bells of saint john (which shows how memorable that episode was :tongue:)

love the ending. admittdly it was all a bit rushed and whiffy waffy, but loved the tophat ghouls and Strax's attempt to fight them
I am, and I'm not. I'm worried that the 50th plotline is too obvious, i.e.

Spoiler

There has to be something else otherwise it's going to be a letdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm this is true actually... err noooo :frown: :L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending