The Student Room Group

BREAKING - Pork DNA Found in Halal Chicken at School...

Scroll to see replies

Can't be bothered to read all the other answers to this but, horsemeat scandal was a problem because we were lied to, pork in what is meant to be halal meat is much more than that.

Muslims believe in not eating pork as it is actually in their faith. We can easily be extremely cynical just because not all of us are muslims, but when I first heard about this I was actually appalled because it is somebodies faith that has been completely disregarded.

The horsemeat scandal was minor compared to this.
Original post by Error4001
Saying a prayer or "intending to eat Halal" doesn't automatically entail that something will magically become Halal. If we are not even allowed to eat any part of a pig (there are exceptions which I will not delve into here), then what does "intention" have to do with anything?

Just means you shouldn't be blamed for trusting someone who is certified to be selling Halal meat but doesn't. It's not practical to test everything you're about to eat yourself, that's why we have organisations that do this for us. So intention has to do with everything. That said it's important to let the authorities know how serious this is, both muslims and non-muslims are being treated like dirt when we purchase something but get something else.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rosscmullins
Can't be bothered to read all the other answers to this but, horsemeat scandal was a problem because we were lied to, pork in what is meant to be halal meat is much more than that.

Muslims believe in not eating pork as it is actually in their faith. We can easily be extremely cynical just because not all of us are muslims, but when I first heard about this I was actually appalled because it is somebodies faith that has been completely disregarded.

The horsemeat scandal was minor compared to this.

Maybe the horses had been subject to ketamine right before being turned into meat, I think the risk of lingering K being injested is worse than someone's belief in fairytales being compromised.
Original post by Skip_Snip
Maybe the horses had been subject to ketamine right before being turned into meat, I think the risk of lingering K being injested is worse than someone's belief in fairytales being compromised.

Calling someone's faith a belief in fairytales is quite offensive. Shows how painfully ignorant that statement was.

Also, nobody has died or been ill because of the horsemeat scandal - The chief medical officer at the FSA said, 'a person would have to eat 500 or 600 horse burgers every day to consume a harmful dose [of bute].'
(edited 10 years ago)

Also, nobody has died or been ill because of the horsemeat scandal - The chief medical officer at the FSA said, 'a person would have to eat 500 or 600 horse burgers every day to consume a harmful dose [of bute].'

No-one would die from eating pork
Original post by Skip_Snip
No-one would die from eating pork

Thats not what I said, but when you scare-mongered about saying that horse contained ketamine, I just pointed out that it has not harmed anybody.
Thats not what I said, but when you scare-mongered about saying that horse contained ketamine, I just pointed out that it has not harmed anybody.

It's not really scare-mongering. But the danger of accidentally being subject to ketamine is more serious than breaking religious "rules"
ITs not like you drop dead after eating a bacon sandwich :s-smilie:
Original post by HomoSapiensSap
Link: http://news.sky.com/story/1064670/pork-dna-found-in-halal-chicken-at-school

Wow, this is really widespread!

Consumer trust has been beaten and broken. Frankly, this is outrageous.

But, will there be a backlash? Surely this is most outrageous to Muslims? What do you think?

There wasn't much of a backlash when unlabelled halal meat was found to be being served all over the country, from schools and hospitals to pubs and football stadiums, why is it suddenly so 'outrageous' because a few Muslims might have eaten pork by accident? It won't kill them for ****s sake.
Original post by Cattty
karma for eating animals slaughtered by an inhumane method?

I like your way of thinking:biggrin:
Original post by Ray Barone
There wasn't much of a backlash when unlabelled halal meat was found to be being served all over the country, from schools and hospitals to pubs and football stadiums, why is it suddenly so 'outrageous' because a few Muslims might have eaten pork by accident? It won't kill them for ****s sake.

THIS
Original post by thesabbath
No British school should be serving Halal meat. This slavish kowtowing to minorities has to stop.

yh also lets bring back eugenics studies
Original post by ultimateradman
yh also lets bring back eugenics studies

Its been 4 years..
I'm glad I'm an atheist. Being religious does not give you the excuse to act like a nutcase when you eat one particular meat. Can you imagine if religion didn't exist, and people acted like this? It just wouldn't be accepted! Why should their nonsensical and cruel methods of killing animals be accepted? I don't care what colour, religion, age, gender or race you are - if you kill animals in this way, you are despicable.
Reply 174
Original post by Exams2017
I'm glad I'm an atheist. Being religious does not give you the excuse to act like a nutcase when you eat one particular meat. Can you imagine if religion didn't exist, and people acted like this? It just wouldn't be accepted! Why should their nonsensical and cruel methods of killing animals be accepted? I don't care what colour, religion, age, gender or race you are - if you kill animals in this way, you are despicable.
In the UK, the mechanics of halal and non-halal slaughter are essentially the same. The only area of issue for me is the approximately 15% of halal meat that is not stunned before slaughter. Kosher is worse as 100% is non-stunned.

The religious exemption clause the the Welfare of Animals (slaughter) Act should be removed. The only difference would then be that bismillah is said over the animal as it is being killed.
It's very frustrating to see meat unlabelled of what it is as well as the contents
It's against my religion to eat kosher or halal meat (i bet u could guess what religion i am)
So I'd be pretty annoyed if I had halal meat without being told
Reminds me of a time i went to a restaurant and we asked the manager or waiter whatever if the meat was halal
He replied saying "yes" funny enough google said otherwise
So another one of us went up to the waiter and asked we can't have halal meat so do you serve non-halal meat?
He replied "yes"
So we left
Reply 176
Original post by Taran001
It's against my religion to eat kosher or halal meat (i bet u could guess what religion i am)
Sikh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending