The Student Room Group

AQA Government and Politics Unit 1

Anyone doing this exam tomorrow? Any predictions of questions? :smile: I'm doing Voting behaviour and electoral systems.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
how you finding those two? I can't decide between electoral systems or pressure groups..
Reply 2
(I am doing voting behaviour too)
Reply 3
Two out of voting behaviour, electoral systems and pressure groups :smile:
Reply 4
Not too bad, I just hope they're nice questions! Something at devolved level would be horrific eg referendums outside Westminster or second order elections! They'd be awful! Hoping for more general questions, what about you?
Reply 5
Ihave the exam today and i am basicly praying that the party policies isnt on as we had a poor teacher so we have had to teach ourselves :frown:
Reply 6
How did everyone find it? I thought the 25 markers were good but didn't really like the 10 markers and the by-election question wasn't brilliant. But overall, I think it went quite well :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ginge1+2
How did everyone find it? I thought the 25 markers were good but didn't really like the 10 markers and the by-election question wasn't brilliant. But overall, I think it went quite well :smile:

I thought they were easy (exc. 10 markers and participation 25 marker).

What did you put for the FPTP?

And for the 25mks topic 1 :smile:
Reply 8
What did you put for the 25 marker(topic 1)? I said stability: still some link between class and voting and rational choice. Volatility: media, issue voting.

10 marker (topic 1): protest voting and floating voters

5 marker was easy for topic 1.

Topic 2 5 marker was fairly easy

Topic 2 10 marker I put: FPTP requires a party to win a certain amount of support favouring two main parties. Also: PR system gives same share if vote to seat leading to third parties - those most common in coalitions - to getting a say. DIDNT GET THIS AT ALL.

Topic 2 25 marker. For referendums: democracy, involvement, stop divisions in government. Against: ill informed voters, apathy, allows government to shirk responsibility.

Are these good points
Reply 9
For FPTP I put about how it's a 'simple plurality' system, so they don't need to secure an absolute majority etc. and they can go into minority gov. If they really want to. Can't really remember what else I put!

think I got a good balance of quotes, statistics and theory though, hopefully we'll all have done our best!
For FPTP I put about how it's a 'simple plurality' system, so they don't need to secure an absolute majority etc. and they can go into minority gov. If they really want to. Can't really remember what else I put!

think I got a good balance of quotes, statistics and theory though, hopefully we'll all have done our best!

What did you put for the Voting Beh. 10 marker? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Phil Dunphy
What did you put for the Voting Beh. 10 marker? :smile:

Can't remember exactly, but I think about how people change their minds all the time and maybe opinion polls? I really can't remember! What did you put?

Also, are you all doing P2 on Thursday? I'm quote scared for that one
Can't remember exactly, but I think about how people change their minds all the time and maybe opinion polls? I really can't remember! What did you put?

Also, are you all doing P2 on Thursday? I'm quote scared for that one

I put protest and issue voting.

Yep, I am doing P2 :frown:
have any of you guys got any predictions for what might be on unit 2 on thursday? I really hope a separation of powers essay comes up!
Original post by jellybellys
have any of you guys got any predictions for what might be on unit 2 on thursday? I really hope a separation of powers essay comes up!

What do you mean by "separation of powers"? :tongue:

Like the PM's powers and limitations?
What do you mean by "separation of powers"? :tongue:

Like the PM's powers and limitations?

Nah not really - basically it's the principles that the legislative, executive and judicial branches of government should be independent of each other. This would mean that they would each have different functions and distinctive memberships which shouldn't overlap which is currently present in the USA but the UK has a fusion of powers :smile:
UK has a fusion between legislature and executive with the executive dominating and due to an absence of separation of powers it leads to executive dominance and a large concentration of power - Lord Hailsham called this 'elective dictatorship':smile: This elective dictatorship is reinforced by parliamentary sovereignty and also due to FPTP which often gives a 1 party majority in the HOC. Dominance also by government controlling the parliamentary timetable
Absence of a sep of powers can result in govt having too much power as the only check of the power is the need to hold and win general elections as with the fixed term parliament act 2011, between the 5 years the govt is regarded to do as it wishes. More power for govt through whipping system but govt can be removed by a vote of no confidence and power is checked by the opposition and in a system of parliamentary government, ministers are held accountable to Parliamet and the electorate. HRA has reduced govt power as shown in case of Abu Qatada
Creation of a Supreme Court as increased britains sep of powers due to the removal of the Law Lords and the downgrading of Lord Chancellor under the CRA 2005
thats basically it! Hopefully you understand :smile:
Original post by jellybellys
Nah not really - basically it's the principles that the legislative, executive and judicial branches of government should be independent of each other. This would mean that they would each have different functions and distinctive memberships which shouldn't overlap which is currently present in the USA but the UK has a fusion of powers :smile:
UK has a fusion between legislature and executive with the executive dominating and due to an absence of separation of powers it leads to executive dominance and a large concentration of power - Lord Hailsham called this 'elective dictatorship':smile: This elective dictatorship is reinforced by parliamentary sovereignty and also due to FPTP which often gives a 1 party majority in the HOC. Dominance also by government controlling the parliamentary timetable
Absence of a sep of powers can result in govt having too much power as the only check of the power is the need to hold and win general elections as with the fixed term parliament act 2011, between the 5 years the govt is regarded to do as it wishes. More power for govt through whipping system but govt can be removed by a vote of no confidence and power is checked by the opposition and in a system of parliamentary government, ministers are held accountable to Parliamet and the electorate. HRA has reduced govt power as shown in case of Abu Qatada
Creation of a Supreme Court as increased britains sep of powers due to the removal of the Law Lords and the downgrading of Lord Chancellor under the CRA 2005
thats basically it! Hopefully you understand :smile:

Ok, maybe that's not in the topics I've been revising :wink: What topic is that? :smile:
Reply 17
Ok, maybe that's not in the topics I've been revising :wink: What topic is that? :smile:

What topics are you planning on doing?
Original post by William24
What topics are you planning on doing?

3 and 4 :smile: Got 70% on my mock doing that. I had As and Bs on every question but one (I got an E on the 25 marker for the core executive - too much information :tongue:). So I should've got an A :frown:

You?
Reply 19
3 and 4 :smile: Got 70% on my mock doing that. I had As and Bs on every question but one (I got an E on the 25 marker for the core executive - too much information :tongue:). So I should've got an A :frown:

You?

The Constitution and The Core Executive. The volume is heavy for the Constitution but I feel it's a nicer topic and more easy to apply than Parliament.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending