The Student Room Group

3 As and a B at AS-Level

Hi,

I am taking Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths AS-level.

I just wanted to know if getting 3 As and a B (in further maths) would put me at a disadvantage when applying to Medicine and if I should still apply?

I also wondered if I should carry on and do 4 A-levels or drop further maths next year. Would doing 3 A-Levels make me worse off than doing 4?

I will definitely apply to Sheffield and Nottingham and I'm not sure about the other two yet, but it will be between Leeds, Hull York and Newcastle. (They all accept further maths).

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
3 As and a B at AS is fine. Doing a fourth A level will be of no advantage unless you are applying to Barts, who I think rank applicants on UCAS points, or to Irish med schools. It would be worth considering if your FM was very strong and not likely to impact on your other 3 subjects, but if you are heading for a B in AS that wouldn't appear to be the case.
Reply 3
Original post by bobbyy1234
bump

Your post has been moved to the bigger thread and is already being answered there. You should expect this one to be moved as well, or deleted (just FYI).
Reply 4
Hi,

I just wanted to know if getting 3 As and a B (in further maths) would put me at a disadvantage when applying to Medicine and if I should still apply?

I also wondered if I should carry on and do 4 A-levels or drop further maths next year. Would doing 3 A-Levels make me worse off than doing 4?

I will definitely apply to Sheffield and Nottingham and I'm not sure about the other two yet, but it will be between Leeds, Hull York and Newcastle. (They all accept further maths).

Thank you

To apply for medicine, your teachers will have to predict you AAA for you to stand much of a chance. If you achieved three As in the subjects you are continuing with at the end of AS, then you're on track, and you won't have to bully your teachers into changing your predicted grades. Your fourth AS level grade is largely irrelevant. Most medicine courses want a pass in a fourth, for some it's an E and for others a B or even an A. Obviously doing as well as you can is adviseable, but AAAb is very competitive, and won't hold you back.
Reply 5
Original post by Velvet4
To apply for medicine, your teachers will have to predict you AAA for you to stand much of a chance. If you achieved three As in the subjects you are continuing with at the end of AS, then you're on track, and you won't have to bully your teachers into changing your predicted grades. Your fourth AS level grade is largely irrelevant. Most medicine courses want a pass in a fourth, for some it's an E and for others a B or even an A. Obviously doing as well as you can is adviseable, but AAAb is very competitive, and won't hold you back.

So basically I'm fine besides the few that require an A for AS-Level which is only a few and getting a B is pretty much nothing to worry about as long as I get 3 As next year?

Thanks
So basically I'm fine besides the few that require an A for AS-Level which is only a few and getting a B is pretty much nothing to worry about as long as I get 3 As next year?
Thanks

Correct. Only Queens Belfast makes AAAa offers, and the situation at Barts has been explained. See the wiki article... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Velvet4

Hi ,do you thing an AABb is ok if i'm predicted all A's?
Original post by mia_hilton

If you mean a scenario where you get 2 A's and 2 B's at AS, and are predicted AAA for your A2's, then you should be OK. Of course, it's never a disadvantage to get A's in your AS exams. You may need to apply strategically - see the article on 'applying using your strengths' in the wiki... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Pastaferian
Correct. Only Queens Belfast makes AAAa offers, and the situation at Barts has been explained. See the wiki article... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Good luck!

Would someone getting AAAa have an advantage over me if I got AAAb when applying to the other unis?

thanks
Reply 10
Original post by mia_hilton

No - you need a minimum of AAA at A2 for the standard 5 year course. The b at AS is fine though.
Hi,

Thank you

Some medical schools may not like you taking further maths as a 4th AS, as theres lots of overlap between FM and maths. Check before you apply.
Would someone getting AAAa have an advantage over me if I got AAAb when applying to the other unis?
thanks

It would only make a difference if you were on the borderline for getting an interview at a uni which ranked its applicants using scores based on AS grades and other criteria. AAAB at AS would be a very good scorecard to apply with, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply 13
Original post by AtomicMan
Some medical schools may not like you taking further maths as a 4th AS, as theres lots of overlap between FM and maths. Check before you apply.

Actually theres no overlap at all I think, further pure is completely different to core modules. I find FP1 harder than core 3.

I've checked and quite a lot of unis accept further maths and I'll only apply to those.
Reply 14
Original post by HCubed
No - you need a minimum of AAA at A2 for the standard 5 year course. The b at AS is fine though.

Thanks but i meant at AS when i apply to uni's is would i be ok with aabb?
Reply 15
Original post by Pastaferian
If you mean a scenario where you get 2 A's and 2 B's at AS, and are predicted AAA for your A2's, then you should be OK. Of course, it's never a disadvantage to get A's in your AS exams. You may need to apply strategically - see the article on 'applying using your strengths' in the wiki... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/

Good luck!

Thankyou! Im feeling better :biggrin:
Reply 16

Thanks

Basically, yes. Be sensible with your application by researching the entry requirements and selection focus (GCSEs, AS grades, etc) of each University. Queens Belfast is one which requires AAAa, but not many do.
Like others have said, the overlap between maths and further maths is more likely to be an issue for you.
Hi all,

I wish to apply to Medicine for 2014 entry.

Does anyone who has already made it into med school have any GAMSAT books or any other relevant book to help for the exam that does not need it anymore and wish to donate it ?

would be very much appreciated

Thanks
Original post by medicinedream
Hi all,
I wish to apply to Medicine for 2014 entry.
Does anyone who has already made it into med school have any GAMSAT books or any other relevant book to help for the exam that does not need it anymore and wish to donate it ?
would be very much appreciated
Thanks

This thread probably isn't the best one to post in... the subject is AS-level, so it'll mainly be read by Y12 students, and they won't be doing GAMSAT. IMO, you should repost in one of the graduate entry threads.
Reply 19
Original post by Velvet4
Basically, yes. Be sensible with your application by researching the entry requirements and selection focus (GCSEs, AS grades, etc) of each University. Queens Belfast is one which requires AAAa, but not many do.
Like others have said, the overlap between maths and further maths is more likely to be an issue for you.

I've checked with websites and emailed several universities about further maths and there is plenty of unis that accept further maths and i'll only apply to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending