The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Accommodation?

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know where the "Crescent Flats" are? I found the other flats (Crewe and Endcliffe vale) on Googlemaps, but can't find Crescent Flats. Googlemaps (never fully up-to-date) shows a building site directly north of The Edge - is that the location I'm looking for?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 21
I'm also debating on which accommodation also. I'm planning to study abroad for a year starting Fall 2013 and I have no idea which one would be better for me ):

I'm actually thinking either Ranmoor or Opal2 and can anyone tell me about the room sizes? I know there's 2 or 3 sizes but I can't really tell from pictures if they're too small or too big or whatever.
Original post by tomooo
I'm also debating on which accommodation also. I'm planning to study abroad for a year starting Fall 2013 and I have no idea which one would be better for me ):

I'm actually thinking either Ranmoor or Opal2 and can anyone tell me about the room sizes? I know there's 2 or 3 sizes but I can't really tell from pictures if they're too small or too big or whatever.

Did you try the virtual tours? http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective/virtualtours
They aren't just pictures... if you wait a few seconds, you get a 360 degree sweep of each location.
Reply 23
Original post by Pastaferian
Did you try the virtual tours? http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective/virtualtours
They aren't just pictures... if you wait a few seconds, you get a 360 degree sweep of each location.

Yes I tried them! But I can't seem to find so much information about Opal2.. does it really not make that much difference with the other dorms?
Original post by tomooo
Yes I tried them! But I can't seem to find so much information about Opal2.. does it really not make that much difference with the other dorms?

I didn't visit Opal2 (to be honest, I'm not sure where it is - is that the 'city campus'?)

I'd didn't see rooms in Ranmoor either, but was told by students that it's much the same as Endcliffe Village.

Compared to other uni's I visited, I'd say Sheffield's rooms are a little smaller, but they re still adequate. The accommodation office might be able to give you more info on sizes.
Reply 25
I didn't visit Opal2 (to be honest, I'm not sure where it is - is that the 'city campus'?)

I'd didn't see rooms in Ranmoor either, but was told by students that it's much the same as Endcliffe Village.

Compared to other uni's I visited, I'd say Sheffield's rooms are a little smaller, but they re still adequate. The accommodation office might be able to give you more info on sizes.

I seee, thanks !

And by the way, do you know anything about changing accommodations?
Like is it possible to change your accommodation after you've sent your application?
Original post by tomooo
I seee, thanks !
And by the way, do you know anything about changing accommodations?
Like is it possible to change your accommodation after you've sent your application?

I have no idea about changing. As they don't allocate rooms until mid-July at the earliest, it shouldn't be a problem to change your preferences before then. If you don't like your room once you're moved in, that may be more problematic - it may be up to you to arrange a swap with someone.
Reply 27
Hello everyone, I am a postgraduate student and I have to apply for accommodation. I've read in the Sheffield site that:
"There are events and activities designed just for postgraduates, which are a great way to meet people...".

I am just curious what these events are. Also I want to apply with catered options, but it is available only in Endcliffe so any advice would be good :smile:
Reply 28
Some of my friends at Uni of have stayed at Norfolk Park student village. It's a little bit further away but is quite similar to Endcliffe park in terms of location. The rooms I've seen at Norfolk park are a little bigger, but it is a little further out.
Reply 29
Hi, I've frimed Sheffield and have applied for Endcliffe Shared Bathroom and preference Endcliffe over room type (not fused whether shared bathroom or ensuite) but haven't received anything from the Uni telling whether the application was successful or not, is this normal? Do they wait until you get the grades before assigning rooms and letting people know if they got what Halls?
Original post by Gingerdom
Hi, I've frimed Sheffield and have applied for Endcliffe Shared Bathroom and preference Endcliffe over room type (not fused whether shared bathroom or ensuite) but haven't received anything from the Uni telling whether the application was successful or not, is this normal? Do they wait until you get the grades before assigning rooms and letting people know if they got what Halls?

I applied for the same thing, and got two emails - an ack that they received my application, and details of the process. If you didn't get emails, phone them and check your email address was correctly entered and/or that you completed the online process properly.

They don't allocate rooms until mid-July or results day, whichever is later (so 'results day' for us).
Reply 31
I applied for the same thing, and got two emails - an ack that they received my application, and details of the process. If you didn't get emails, phone them and check your email address was correctly entered and/or that you completed the online process properly.

They don't allocate rooms until mid-July or results day, whichever is later (so 'results day' for us).

Thanks I rang the Uni and they did get my applicantion so I think I may have deleted the e-mail, oops. Thanks for your help good luck with your exams
Reply 32
Original post by super_kawaii
I'm a first year at Sheffield and I'm in Endcliffe Village in one of the self catered en suite blocks :smile: You don't choose the block you're in-you get allocated at the end of August after results. :smile:

I've been to Ranmoor a few times, as quite a lot of my friends live over there, and in personal opinion, I think Endcliffe is much better. As there are far more students in Endcliffe, there's more of a buzz about the place, which I really like. The laundrette in Endcliffe is also bigger and, for me this is quite important, Endcliffe has a cash point, whereas Ranmoor doesn't. All my friends in Ranmoor have complained about this.

I'm in the end of Endcliffe farthest from uni, and it takes me about 20 minutes to walk there from my flat. I don't take the bus that often because it's now 80p and that can easily add up if you take it every day! It's also quite a pleasant walk, especially when the weather's nice like it is now! If you want to get the bus though, the 120 is the one most students in first year get.

The number of people in a flat varies-in some blocks, there are 10 people per flat, 5 boys and 5 girls, although in my block there's only 6 people per flat and it's all single sex. I share with 5 girls, although the flat next door has 6 boys in it, so you will get male friends and female friends :smile:

If you have any other questions about any part of the uni, please just ask :smile:

Hello. :smile: just wondering if you chose a single sex flat, or if you were allocated it randomly? Because I'd much rather live in a mixed flat, but I can't remember if that came up when I applied haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Turty
Hello. :smile: just wondering if you chose a single sex flat, or if you were allocated it randomly? Because I'd much rather live in a mixed flat, but I can't remember if that came up when I applied haha.

You get asked for your preference at the end of the process, IIRC
Is it right that we don't hear back about accommodation until after results day?
Original post by RebekahGrassby
Is it right that we don't hear back about accommodation until after results day?

Yes, that's correct for the majority. People with unconditional offers might hear something from late July onwards.
Yes, that's correct for the majority. People with unconditional offers might hear something from late July onwards.

Ah thank you, I have an unconditional so hopefully I'll hear sooner rather than later :smile:
Reply 37
Ive applied for city centre. Im a mature student. Any other mature students staying in accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When's the deadline for applying for accommodation to ensure you get a room? And is everyone guaranteed one or only Firmers?
Reply 39
I've done a Pre med year so hopefully medicine as a fresher too! Is anyone not looking for halls and want to house share walking distance from uni? Our friend dropped out last minute so we have a spare room for £72 a week, 3 other girls :smile: Let me know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending