The Student Room Group

ABB at AS? Uni help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 3mmz
Oh wow that's great! How many retakes did you do on your gap year...
Boy these questions my be annoying you...
Also you may have had good grades only only needed to retake a few to get them to a's..../

I retook 2 chemistry modules and 2 biology modules. I think it was ABB I got originally.

And no worries. Once upon a time I was in your position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Eljamaispa
I retook 2 chemistry modules and 2 biology modules. I think it was ABB I got originally.

And no worries. Once upon a time I was in your position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats great...no wonder you got all your offers....
so you just put pending on modules you are retaking right
and don't mention it on your ucas that your retaking, just what im doing on my gap year
Original post by 3mmz
thats great...no wonder you got all your offers....
so you just put pending on modules you are retaking right
and don't mention it on your ucas that your retaking, just what im doing on my gap year

I really can't remember. Best to check with your tutor or sixth form head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by PatienceO94
i really wouldn't worry too much i got BCCD (dropped the D subject) at AS and even got a few U's in some modules but still got offers from Manchester, Sheffield and Newcastle (also Lincoln) i've firmed Manchester now for BioMed, good luck to you:smile:

How did you pull that off ?!? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by I am Dog
What UMS did you get for the 3 subjects?

I am not sure because I haven't finished them but realistically, this is what I am aiming for. obviously, if I don't get these grades, my question would probably be invalid but yep, I'm hoping now realistically ABB!
Reply 25
Most people will get predicted higher than the results they get at AS. Just explain to your teacher you need them to predict you an A for university and you'll work harder next year. A lot of people get in with grades lower than the entry requirements:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by acj94
I got BCCC at AS and got offers from 5 Russell Groups for Law so i wouldn't worry, they'll give you offers on the off chance you resit and raise your grades because it's no skin off their nose if you don't achieve your offer in the end :smile:

keele isnt russell
Reply 27
I did a third year and got worse grades than that- managed to get 4 offers (withdrew from my 5th) including Sheffield and Exeter. Don't worry about it :h:
Original post by Jkizer
How did you pull that off ?!? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha :biggrin: i had good GCSE's and my personal statement was pretty good if i do say so myself :smile: i kinda wish i'd done better from the beginning of AS but i can only look forward and ace these exams
Reply 29
Original post by sarah09_
Most people will get predicted higher than the results they get at AS. Just explain to your teacher you need them to predict you an A for university and you'll work harder next year. A lot of people get in with grades lower than the entry requirements:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!!! Yeah, I can definitely get my teachers to help me out on that side :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by lilGem
I did a third year and got worse grades than that- managed to get 4 offers (withdrew from my 5th) including Sheffield and Exeter. Don't worry about it :h:

Phew!! Haha, I feel a lot better. Thank you!! :biggrin:
Reply 31
Negative ratings?!
sorry if I offended anyone with my posts?!?!!
Reply 32
haha :biggrin: i had good GCSE's and my personal statement was pretty good if i do say so myself :smile: i kinda wish i'd done better from the beginning of AS but i can only look forward and ace these exams

Wow what were the conditional grades they offer to you ? :redface:
I am inspired to replicate your success !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Wow what were the conditional grades they offer to you ? :redface:
I am inspired to replicate your success !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manchester offered me ABB the A in biology, wow thanks :smile: what about you?
Reply 34

hey- im in a similar situation....

what offers did you get and did you do resits?
Original post by 3mmz
hey- im in a similar situation....

what offers did you get and did you do resits?

glad to know i'm not alone :smile: i got offered ABB from Manchester, AAB from Sheffield, ABB from Newcastle and 280 UCAS points from Lincoln which is equivalent to BBC and gosh so many resits in the last 2 years yes, i did 2 or 3 last year, 1 in January, i did one yesterday lol and still got 2 left adding that to my actual exams its quite a lot, im glad they dont take resits into consideration when making an offer some unis do tho which is a little unfair but oh well :/ so what ure situation? :smile:
Reply 36
glad to know i'm not alone :smile: i got offered ABB from Manchester, AAB from Sheffield, ABB from Newcastle and 280 UCAS points from Lincoln which is equivalent to BBC and gosh so many resits in the last 2 years yes, i did 2 or 3 last year, 1 in January, i did one yesterday lol and still got 2 left adding that to my actual exams its quite a lot, im glad they dont take resits into consideration when making an offer some unis do tho which is a little unfair but oh well :/ so what ure situation? :smile:

Oh wow. I'm a mature student. Doing two alevels in one year now and my 3rd one on my gap year whilst travelling as my current college didn't allow me to take politics as it was completely full. I don't think I would have managed 3 intensive alevels in one year anyway!
My ucas is gonna look so weird lol! I will have two alevels and one as pending(the Poltics)
The reason btw I'm asking about retakes is incase I don't do too well in my exams in June and want to retake on my gap year whilst doing my politics!
I know....my situation is weird...mainly because after GCSEs I left education an worked! I decided to come back this year though....hence why I am doing two intensive alevels.....
Reply 37
i got BBBB at AS level, predicted AAA for A level and got offers from Imperial, UCL, York, Bath and Manchester. And my course didn't interview. Just make sure your personal statement is really good
Reply 38
Original post by script100
i got BBBB at AS level, predicted AAA for A level and got offers from Imperial, UCL, York, Bath and Manchester. And my course didn't interview. Just make sure your personal statement is really good

With regards to personal statement...what's the best way to write it...
Talk about your subject, why you want to study it and what you hope to learn....?
Reply 39
Original post by 3mmz
With regards to personal statement...what's the best way to write it...
Talk about your subject, why you want to study it and what you hope to learn....?

Talk about your subject, why it interests you and what particular areas you like. yeah, talk about what you hope to learn and what you hope to do in future. I advise you put in books you've read about the subject or scientific journals ect., but you have to make sure your comfortable to talk about them in an interview. Most of it should be about the course but talk about about extra curricular activities and write what you learned from then, don't just list them.

Quick Reply

Latest