The Student Room Group

A Level Economics?

Hi, I'm currently in year 11 doing GCSEs and thinking about my options for A levels next year. Currently my choices are as follows:

Maths
Further maths
Physics
French
German

Maths is my strongest subject and the thing I'd most likely want to do at uni but I'm still uncertain. French and German I just find easy and relatively enjoyable and they're meant to be well regarded so I guess they're 'safe bets.'

Recently I've been thinking about economics though (instead of German) as it sounds quite interesting and relevant to lots of careers. I've enjoyed the theory behind my business studies GCSE and was wondering whether A level economics would be a more complicated version of that. Can anyone who's studying it give me an idea of what it's like? As a fourth or fifth option, it's mainly just for enjoyment but any advice would be much appreciated. Maybe if I like it I might pursue it later but that's a long way off yet I suppose. I don't really know what it's all about yet haha.
Reply 1
Original post by ADG123
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 doing GCSEs and thinking about my options for A levels next year. Currently my choices are as follows:

Maths
Further maths
Physics
French
German

Maths is my strongest subject and the thing I'd most likely want to do at uni but I'm still uncertain. French and German I just find easy and relatively enjoyable and they're meant to be well regarded so I guess they're 'safe bets.'

Recently I've been thinking about economics though (instead of German) as it sounds quite interesting and relevant to lots of careers. I've enjoyed the theory behind my business studies GCSE and was wondering whether A level economics would be a more complicated version of that. Can anyone who's studying it give me an idea of what it's like? As a fourth or fifth option, it's mainly just for enjoyment but any advice would be much appreciated. Maybe if I like it I might pursue it later but that's a long way off yet I suppose. I don't really know what it's all about yet haha.

Hi there,

i'm an A2 economics student and first of all, my comparison may be a little bias since i've never studied german making it a little difficult to compare the two. From personal experience, economics is a fantastic subject. I've thoroughly enjoyed learning about issues and it will give you a greater insight on logical decisions. Economics has very interesting issues which are relatable and applicable. It's especially useful if you're looking into careers based on business,finance, politics etc. I've enjoyed it a lot because my teacher is very passionate about the subject and is very helpful, which i think factors in considerably personally.

When you make your decision think about

- what career you plan to follow up in the end
- who is teaching the subject (sixth-form?)
- Try a taster day of the subject

Remember you can try it out for 2 weeks and revert to german if you're unhappy ( one girl in my class changed to history)

Good luck on your choice and best of luck in the future :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ih094
Hi there,

i'm an A2 economics student and first of all, my comparison may be a little bias since i've never studied german making it a little difficult to compare the two. From personal experience, economics is a fantastic subject. I've thoroughly enjoyed learning about issues and it will give you a greater insight on logical decisions. Economics has very interesting issues which are relatable and applicable. It's especially useful if you're looking into careers based on business,finance, politics etc. I've enjoyed it a lot because my teacher is very passionate about the subject and is very helpful, which i think factors in considerably personally.

When you make your decision think about

- what career you plan to follow up in the end
- who is teaching the subject (sixth-form?)
- Try a taster day of the subject

Remember you can try it out for 2 weeks and revert to german if you're unhappy ( one girl in my class changed to history)

Good luck on your choice and best of luck in the future :smile:

Hi, thanks for the reply!
It certainly sounds interesting so I think I'll see if I can get a feel for it on my sixth form induction day. As I'm really quite uncertain for the future I suppose it'd be good to try it out to see if I might want career involving it.

Just out of interest, what are you planning for next year? Which other subjects compliment economics well do you think? I just want to make sure if it is something I want to do my choices will allow me to do so.

Thanks for the great advice and good luck to you too! ADG
Reply 3
Original post by ADG123
Hi, thanks for the reply!<br />
It certainly sounds interesting so I think I'll see if I can get a feel for it on my sixth form induction day. As I'm really quite uncertain for the future I suppose it'd be good to try it out to see if I might want career involving it.<br />
<br />
<br />
Just out of interest, what are you planning for next year? Which other subjects compliment economics well do you think? I just want to make sure if it is something I want to do my choices will allow me to do so.<br />
<br />
<br />
Thanks for the great advice and good luck to you too! ADG
<br />
<br />

Hi again,

I am aiming to study Accounting and finance at university (aiming to get A*BB).

Maths and economics go great together, if you're looking for careers specifically in business, then business studies also works well ( business studies is really just microeconomics but alot more in depth).

However, it doesnt matter too much about what you choose, since your course at uni should teach you what you need to know.

I chose economics, biology, psychology and product design. If i could go back i would have chose maths purely because of use in the future, but in terms for understanding in economics it really isnt required much. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ih094
<br />
<br />

Hi again,

I am aiming to study Accounting and finance at university (aiming to get A*BB).

Maths and economics go great together, if you're looking for careers specifically in business, then business studies also works well ( business studies is really just microeconomics but alot more in depth).

However, it doesnt matter too much about what you choose, since your course at uni should teach you what you need to know.

I chose economics, biology, psychology and product design. If i could go back i would have chose maths purely because of use in the future, but in terms for understanding in economics it really isnt required much. :smile:

Hi, thanks a lot for the advice and good luck at uni! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ADG123
Hi, thanks a lot for the advice and good luck at uni! :smile:

No worries! One last piece of advice i would give to you is pursue something you are passionate about and not just what interests you :smile: good luck with your future prospects and endeavors.
Reply 6
which board is easier for A level economics ? here, where I live, there'r only 2 options. CIE or edexcel.
:smile:
Original post by rfs127
which board is easier for A level economics ? here, where I live, there'r only 2 options. CIE or edexcel.
:smile:

Opinions are subjective ~ But I would choose > Edexcel :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending