The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys I know about the point, evidence, explain, relate to context etc. structure but are you guys going to include an introduction for both the Sunlight on the grass and Of mice and men? Or neither? Responses appreciated greatly! :smile:
Original post by higuyslol
would this structure get me a B or an A?
4 paragraphs for an inspector calls
Point:
Evidence:
Explain:
Elaborate:
Effect on audience:
Personal opinion and refer to question:

three paragraphs for of mice and men passage(a) and 4 for part (b)

Point:
Evidence:
Explain:
Elaborate:
Effect on reader:
Historical context:
personal opinion and refer to question

Whatever you do - do not give your opinion on it and do not use the personal pronoun 'I' as it has to be formal.
so you could says 'this makes the reader feel'. 'As the reader you feel....'
Hi guys! For the exam tomorrow, do you know how to formulate the answers to the questions? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1063
Original post by JustaDreamer
Hey guys I know about the point, evidence, explain, relate to context etc. structure but are you guys going to include an introduction for both the Sunlight on the grass and Of mice and men? Or neither? Responses appreciated greatly! :smile:

I would always structure your essay with an introduction and conclusion. It's more impressive, sophisticated and reads better.
Original post by sos_
I would always structure your essay with an introduction and conclusion. It's more impressive, sophisticated and reads better.

Ok thank you :smile:
How much should you write for section a and section b to achieve a high grade (if the quality is the aswell)
What do you guys plan on putting in your intro/conclusion?
Original post by kypaldinho
How much should you write for section a and section b to achieve a high grade (if the quality is the aswell)

Its not about quantity its about quality, you should manage to write at least 2 sides but it depends on your handwriting :smile:
Original post by Moljane
Hi. is the exam on the 20th May (tomorrow) about short stories? such as 'compass and torch' or about poetry like 'quickdraw' etc? I'm confused reading these posts as i done poetry in my last literature exam..

I know tomorrow has questions about of mice and men aswell but is it short stories and of mice and men or poetry and of mice and men?

Tomorrow for me is the Sunlight on the grass (short stories) and of Mice and Men
Original post by kypaldinho
Tomorrow for me is the Sunlight on the grass (short stories) and of Mice and Men

Tomorrow for me is The Crucible and OMAM
Original post by HASSANATOR
Hi,

You can probably tell that most people think that the natural world or slim will come up in OMAM

So why don't we share context ideas so we can all come out with an A*

I will start of:

Natural World-Context- "periscope head moved from side to side". The "side to side" is ironic as it was important to turn your head around to keep cautious in such an individualistic society where all the itinerant workers would think on just survival.

Thanks

Lets see how many perceptive points on context we can gather
Come on

The snake being eaten by the heron could foreshadow Lenne's death , especially because the snake is described as "little" and Lenie's surname is "small"
Alternatively, the heron could represent people with a higher status in society consuming the vulnerable people (snake)
Vulnerable people would be : disability, racial prejudice, sex e.t.c

Any other ideas for Nature?
guys, everyone seems to be doing Inspector Calls tomorrow :frown: Is anybody doing The Crucible and Of Mice and Men and have any tips for me? mainly for The Crucible pleaseeee I'm so scared for this exam
WHY do i screw so badly in these english papers? I mean, i just can't come up with these amazing points you all seem to make so effortlessly! Like in the exam i literally sit there staring at the paper thinking as hard as i can but nothing gets to me :frown: i will love anyone who can help me with this issue very VERY much (metaphorically speaking). And i swear im the only one who flops these tests badly
Original post by Natasha792
Him & Sheila contrasting the older generation:
- Sheila's arguments are more carefully thought out, whereas Eric's are more hostile "Damn you, damn you"
-Eric later accepts that he had some responsibility and is "frightened". Both he and Sheila are annoyed that their parents will not change
-Sheila and Eric's generation will later set up the Welfare state in 1945 and they are breaking free from their parents strong capitalist grasp
-Sheila and Eric feel guilty whereas Mrs B just denies it. "It can't be..."
-Sheila and Eric refer to Eva as a person and what to do the right thing by the girl, whereas Mr B is prepared to pay "thousands" to protect his status.

Any more ideas?? :smile:

(Eric already came up in the foundation paper for January 2011, but he still did not come up in any of the Higher tier papers so far, so there's still a good chance of Eric being in the higher tier paper this time)
AO1
what he says and does - foolish and young
his relationships with his family how they respond to him and how he responds to them
his growth through the play
his reaction to the Inspector
AO2
his journey through the play how he is introduced and what his last lines in the play are
the language he uses
changes in his attitude
the differences between him and his parents

You could maybe use some of these points listed in the mark scheme from the foundation paper January 2011 and apply them in more detail for higher
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hassan.arif97
WHY do i screw so badly in these english papers? I mean, i just can't come up with these amazing points you all seem to make so effortlessly! Like in the exam i literally sit there staring at the paper thinking as hard as i can but nothing gets to me :frown: i will love anyone who can help me with this issue very VERY much (metaphorically speaking). And i swear im the only one who flops these tests badly

People on Student room are not representative of the whole of Britain. Don't feel bad!

What helps me is that I DON'T think, I just appreciate what the novel is about and am happy to express my thoughts about it. Don't think of it like in Science and Maths, think of it like an Art.
Reply 1075
Original post by BP_Tranquility
I wrote this a while ago so this might be a weak essay, but what grade would you give this and how could I improve? :smile:

Spoiler

A very successful response, fulfilling top band for most objectives.

A couple of small points: I would include more reference to the acts (e.g. in Act 1.... or ..., as shown in Act 2 etc.). Just shows the examiner that you understand the play through and through, and holistically. You have indirectly done this by providing quotes, but to be 100% safe, I would state which acts these quotes are from.

Another thing: Make reference to language devices, e.g. lexical choices etc.

Since you seem like a potential full mark candidate, I would try and include a sentence or two about political or religious context and what you think Miller's thoughts are. Told to do this by my teacher.

Another full mark tip is to include an evaluative bit at the end of each paragraph, and then also have the "concluding", bit at the end of the essay.

Just to tell you the words from the top band:
Exploratory & Insightful
Close analysis of detail
Evaluation
Interpretation of ideas.

Your essay fulfils a lot of that. Well Done!
Original post by Elm Tree
My plan is to do well in the Poetry exam, and I've done well in the CAs so I should still be able to get an A. :wink:

That's the part I hate most about it.. you can do hours and hours of revision only to find they ask a question you haven't revised :angry:

edit: How long should the answers to Sections A and B be?

A-2/3 sides
B- 1 full side each
As long as they are good the above will be enough and yup that's my point.

Original post by JustaDreamer
Yep that's how you spell it thank you for the meaning, I roughly had it but not the whole picture. What key ideas do you have about the poem?

I don't know what you mean, but the poem could be to do with love or power, and all you need to do is find ideas on them when comparing it to another poem depending on that other poem... I hope that answers it, but I don't think it does.
For Jan 2013 Higher
Hour and Farmers Bride Came

Hope this information helps! :smile:

Unit 1H Mark Scheme Template: Section B

Mark Band 6

-

marks

Candidates demonstrate
:

Insightful exploratory interpretation of
ideas/themes

Close analysis of detail to support interpretation

Evaluation of the writer’s uses of language and/or structure and/or form and effects on readers

Insightful exploratory response to context(s)

Insightful exploration of a range of telling deta
il to support response to context(s)

Information is presented clearly and accurately. Writing is fluent and focused. Syntax and spelling are
used with a high degree of accuracy.

This was the last general mark scheme for Section B, how do you interpret this? What do you think we have to do?
The water is warm could also symbolise the journey of their dream to be tranquil and moving; in this moment in time, it seems to be fulfilling and rich, which conjoins with the "deep", "green" and "fresh" adjectives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending