The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

How awesome would it have been to see a Clara saving the Doctor segment, using DS9's Trials and Tribble-ations technology?
Original post by Rascacielos
I am, and I'm not. I'm worried that the 50th plotline is too obvious, i.e.

Spoiler

There has to be something else otherwise it's going to be a letdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He also needs to work a way to travel from Trenzalore to Victorian London because Strax, Jenny and Vastra traveled back in the Tardis.I wonder how he is going to get the Tardis back?

50th Spoilers-

Spoiler

Reply 1322
TO be honest, I'm just thinking of the season finale as the introduction to the 50th anniversary. It is, isn't it?
Surely it would be "silence will fall when the question is answered." i.e. The password to his tomb.

Perhaps, but as a prophetic statement, then it's accurate due to the question being answered when it was asked.

Just a thought: if it was River who said his name to open the tomb, then Clara must have heard it.

Not necessarily. There's nothing to say that Clara hears anything that River doesn't want her to. There's the suggestion that the Doctor heard River say his name, though.
Who was the woman in the shop who gave Clara the Doctor's number?
Original post by CanineVet
Just jumping in here :smile:

Something that I wondered if not already mentioned is when River and Clara met at the 'conference'. Understandably, Clara would not have met River living in the mainstream timeline but River, being already dead from the library and having frequently travelled with the Doctor, also acted as if she never met her before plus Vastra explicitly introduced them to each other. Does this suggest that we won't see River anymore (or for a very longtime i.e. post Clara) or Clara isn't going to be in the show for very long? Just speculating on minor details :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the impression from the final farewell of River and the Doctor that this will be the last time we see her.
Original post by pinkpenguin

Could be a disguised version of herself?
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
There wasn't an answer to "Doctor Who?"

Also does everyone remember "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Asking the question at the Doctor's tomb gives access to the most dangerous thing in the universe - his timeline, and changing that...we saw how that changed the universe...silence fell.

Makes me immediately think of 'Silence in the Library'.

Surely it would be "silence will fall when the question is answered." i.e. The password to his tomb.

Just a thought: if it was River who said his name to open the tomb, then Clara must have heard it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was probably too busy having her heart stopped, but I thought of that...
Original post by pinkpenguin

Rose? River Song?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dalek1099
He also needs to work a way to travel from Trenzalore to Victorian London because Strax, Jenny and Vastra traveled back in the Tardis.I wonder how he is going to get the Tardis back?

50th Spoilers-

Spoiler

The obvious explanation is that he'll just find the right part of his timeline (i.e. Victorian London) and just walk back into it, battling a few old enemies on the way.

Spoiler

I hope to God that I'm wrong though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1330
Do you guys think that I could watch the final episode (and maybe the one before), and still understand it? I haven't watched any DW this series but kind of want to see what all the excitement is about for the finale. I've watched the previous series so I understand everything about the Doctor's name, but will I get most of it?
Question about that episode:

We're led to believe that this is the last time that the Doctor and River see each other (before the Library). However...

River, Silence in the Library

As she hooks herself up: Funny thing is, this means you've always known how I was going to die. All the time we've been together, you knew I was coming here. The last time I saw you, the real you the future you, I mean you turned up on my doorstep, with a new haircut and a suit. You took me to Darillium to see the singing towers. Oh, what a night that was! The towers sang and you cried. You wouldn't tell me why, but I suppose you knew it was time. My time. Time to come to the Library. You even gave me your screwdriver; that should've been a clue. [The Doctor tries unsuccessfully to reach their sonic screwdrivers] There's nothing you can do.

Source: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/River_Song

So, erm... how do they explain this then?

To watch the clip again:

Original post by snowyowl
Question about that episode:

We're led to believe that this is the last time that the Doctor and River see each other (before the Library). However...

Source: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/River_Song

So, erm... how do they explain this then?

To watch the clip again:

No, this isn't before the library, it's after. The River in this episode is in the computer on the Library planet.

We saw them go to the Singing Towers of Darillium in a mini episode.
Original post by kalios
Do you guys think that I could watch the final episode (and maybe the one before), and still understand it? I haven't watched any DW this series but kind of want to see what all the excitement is about for the finale. I've watched the previous series so I understand everything about the Doctor's name, but will I get most of it?

Yeah, a lot of the excitement was around stuff you'd understand, but I think you should watch more of series 7 (Asylum of the Daleks and ****) to get a better feel for the wonder that is Oswin Oswald. Half of the brilliance of this episode was just how fantastically Matt Smith and JLC performed, quite genuinely I thought that this episode was JLC's best performance.

No - he told Vasta etc to take the Tardis back if he didn't return. Presumably he'll just manage to get out of his timestream, so they don't need to take the Tardis.
Reply 1335
The obvious explanation is that he'll just find the right part of his timeline (i.e. Victorian London) and just walk back into it, battling a few old enemies on the way.

Spoiler

I hope to God that I'm wrong though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, Moffat sometimes does write good storylines. He does leave a lot of clues. Lets hope something surprising happens. If we expect too much we'll be left disappointed
Original post by Feefifofum
No, this isn't before the library, it's after. The River in this episode is in the computer on the Library planet.

We saw them go to the Singing Towers of Darillium in a mini episode.

Is it? Was that explained in the episode?

Edit: I don't watch mini-episodes, perhaps it's my own fault I didn't know then :tongue: did it happen in the episode just as River described it?
i was loving it right up to the last few seconds and then i was just sorely disappointed.
Original post by snowyowl
Is it? Was that explained in the episode?

Edit: I don't watch mini-episodes, perhaps it's my own fault I didn't know then :tongue: did it happen in the episode just as River described it?

Yeah, there were loads of references to the fact that it wasn't 'real' River - it was the River that died in the Library and was saved to CAL. There was the stuff about River being dead, about the Doctor having made a backup, and so on.

We didn't actually see it in the mini-sode, but we saw the Doctor and River about to head there. It's hard to explain, you should just watch it! :p: It was in 'Last Night'.
Reply 1339
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Perhaps, but as a prophetic statement, then it's accurate due to the question being answered when it was asked.

Not necessarily. There's nothing to say that Clara hears anything that River doesn't want her to. There's the suggestion that the Doctor heard River say his name, though.

Yeah but earlier in the episode, Clara started remembering what happened when the TARDIS' engine exploded and when The Doctor asked her questions about who she really is - that's how she realised she's the 'Impossible Girl'. In that episode, she also found out The Doctor's real name so she may have remembered it.

Quick Reply