The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by IHTWFR
I thought that part (a) was really just referring closely to the text, when doing practice papers I have the urge to link to context but then I think that I can put it in part (b). Do you know what I mean?

It depends what the passage gives you, if there is nothing significant in the passage then most context stuff will be in part (b), if not all of it
Reply 1101
ffs there is too many characters in to kill a mockingbird :angry:
Original post by Xmarksthesh0t

I don't know what you mean, but the poem could be to do with love or power, and all you need to do is find ideas on them when comparing it to another poem depending on that other poem... I hope that answers it, but I don't think it does.

Yeah you've kinda answered it I should've put themes and the poet's potentially conveyed message, Thanks anyway :redface:
Im going to flop Kindertransport HELP! lol
sajhgasd
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1105
Original post by Nev1905
For part a (the extract) refer mostly to the extract, pick quotes and analyse them. For instance if the extract is about Crooks, do not start talking about racism as this would be general. I did this for on essay, and my teacher said it was wrong. You usually refer to the whole book on section b, so you must talk about social/historical context on section b. :smile:

Ah, ok, cheers...

I must try and stop myself then...

English literature is the only subject I don't mind getting a B in haha, it's such a load of rubbish!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are people structuring their questions? Are you including introductions and conclusions? How many 'standard' paragraphs too?
can someone tell me anything about candy?
thanks
Original post by lilacwanda28
ooooh spaceman xD
that's cool
so you wanna go to the moon and mars and stuff? that sounds fun xD

yeah,,, im going to keep my options open

hehe... im going to try and do 6 As-levels next year.(excluding GS) .that will be fun!

i dont think i will though... but we should all aspire!

what are you thinking of doing??

Original post by ryanroks1
Could Sam and Eric or Roger come up for Lord of the Flies?

i remember seeing roger on a foundation paper but i personally would hate for him to come up
sam and eric - no there too minor

i think it will be - ralph/conch/the beast

ryan
Reply 1109
Original post by Andyroo17
Thanks:smile: but what has curley got to do with attitudes towards the weak?

Well, he tries to pick on the weak (Lennie) however he does not realise that he is physically strong (a bit of a silly sausage then as lennie is a tank)

Also there is a point about how is a small guy beats a bug guy then he is praised but if a big guy beats a small guy then the big guy gets done over... It's a vicious circle for lennie, however thanks to slim, it does not worsen the situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1110
What can you say about carlson and slim in OMAM?

and what can you say about gender in AIC.
I can think of:

Women aren't supposed to know the behind the scenes work, ( I can't lay out the sentence properly ).
But what I mean is that, when the inspector is speaking to Birling + Gerald, Sheila is told to leave the room. How can I elaborate on that?
Original post by kypaldinho

Unit 1H Mark Scheme Template: Section B

Mark Band 6

-

marks

Candidates demonstrate
:

Insightful exploratory interpretation of
ideas/themes

Close analysis of detail to support interpretation

Evaluation of the writer’s uses of language and/or structure and/or form and effects on readers

Insightful exploratory response to context(s)

Insightful exploration of a range of telling deta
il to support response to context(s)

Information is presented clearly and accurately. Writing is fluent and focused. Syntax and spelling are
used with a high degree of accuracy.

This was the last general mark scheme for Section B, how do you interpret this? What do you think we have to do?

Insightful means going deeper to the actual meaning, whilst evaluating means making a theory of what the reader might usually think about the point made and seeing if it might agree with or change their perspective. Close analysis means to grab one word and say a lot about it, for example 'shine' might represent strength, whereas 'shimmer' might suggest fragility and uncertainty. Exploratory means that you have to suggest different meanings and interpretations of a quote, and not stick to one suggestion! Hope this helps a bit :smile:
Original post by ThatGirlx
can someone tell me anything about candy?
thanks

old, likes to gossip, lonely, an outcast, etc.
Original post by ryanb97
thats just s few suggestions...

hope it helps

ryan

Thank you! Those were really useful, I appreciate it! :smile:
Reply 1114
Original post by Nev1905
I'm doing Of Mice and Men & An Inspector Calls tomorrow, I've got a feeling that for Inspector Calls it is going to be a question based on ERIC
For Of Mice and Men I do not have a clue :/ I started revision late I really don't know what to revise for :frown:

As we know, in section A, we would get a choice of two questions to answer. But what springs to my mind is that everyone is saying Eric may appear in the exam. But what is the likelihood that EVA SMITH would appear in the exam? Considering the fact that she hadn't appeared on the past papers.

Original post by ryanroks1
Could Sam and Eric or Roger come up for Lord of the Flies?

I hope Roger doesn't come up there is virtually nothing other than Piggy's death,
I think it will be Ralph mainly because he hasn't come up in a while...
Reply 1116
Original post by artyom
As we know, in section A, we would get a choice of two questions to answer. But what springs to my mind is that everyone is saying Eric may appear in the exam. But what is the likelihood that EVA SMITH would appear in the exam? Considering the fact that she hadn't appeared on the past papers.

I think it's unlikely Eva will appear because there isn't much too say about her, because we don't even know if she exists!
Original post by Shanahey
(Eric already came up in the foundation paper for January 2011, but he still did not come up in any of the Higher tier papers so far, so there's still a good chance of Eric being in the higher tier paper this time)
AO1
what he says and does - foolish and young
his relationships with his family how they respond to him and how he responds to them
his growth through the play
his reaction to the Inspector
AO2
his journey through the play how he is introduced and what his last lines in the play are
the language he uses
changes in his attitude
the differences between him and his parents

You could maybe use some of these points listed in the mark scheme from the foundation paper January 2011 and apply them in more detail for higher

Thank You!!
I'm trying to come up with some perceptive points about Eric at the moment... i'll share them later if they're share-worthy ! :smile:
Reply 1118
Original post by gomg
I think it's unlikely Eva will appear because there isn't much too say about her, because we don't even know if she exists!

I can write a lot more on Eva Smith rather than just how Eric represents the younger generation in the family. For Eva Smith, you can write how she represents the unrepresented English working class women in society at that time and how her death shows the contrast in political and social ideologies based on the reactions of different characters.
Reply 1119
Can someone tell me what quotes to revise for OMAM relating to the nature/setting/bunkhouse which are significant? please? :biggrin: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending