The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
Original post by ImBetterThanYou
old, likes to gossip, lonely, an outcast, etc.

The context link here is the treatment of the elderly
Reply 1141
ME TOMORROW!

Reply 1142
Original post by ThatGirlx
Has candy come up before?

yes, on both the foundation and higher paper in January 2011
Reply 1143
I think the of mice and men question will be about Crooks and how people portrayed black people at the time linking to racial prejudice. What does everyone think the woman in black question will be about?
Reply 1144
Does anyone know any good resources or links? This is literally last minute revision for OMAM and also AIC. I have no idea what characters to revise or anything so could someone just give me some tips and guidance. I'm doing higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1145
Original post by Alice_13
I think the of mice and men question will be about Crooks and how people portrayed black people at the time linking to racial prejudice. What does everyone think the woman in black question will be about?

Crooks came up in January 2013, so I don't think it will be him
Which characters have come up in 'Of Mice and Men'?

Does anyone know any good tips for actually finishing the exam quickly?
How many points can you make about Eric? Is there a lot to write about?
Reply 1148
Original post by ryanroks1
Is it possible that the barn could come up for OMAM?

Any revision for it?

It last came up in January 2012 so probably not
Reply 1149
Yeah I need to know which characters came up in January 2013, could someone please tell me if they know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1150
Original post by bobbricks
Please can someone mark this- Of Mice and Men :smile:

a) How is Curley represented in this passage? (From “at that moment a young man” to “shifted his feet nervously”)?

b) How does Steinbeck use Curley in the rest of the novella to convey attitudes towards the weak at the time it was set?

Curley enters as a ‘young man’. This can be clearly contrasted with the elderly Candy and it is clear that Curley in his youth has potential for damage. He also “wore high heeled boots” where the terms ‘high’ and ‘boots’ provide an impression of his high status within the ranch. He does not seem as humble as Slim who wore a ‘crushed Stetson hat’ which suggests that Curley is not afraid to flaunt his possessions. Steinbeck may have intended to contrast Curley with the boss who was a “nice fella” unlike Curley and this is representative of how some people became “mean” at working at the ranch for too long.

He also “wore a work glove” in his hand. Since this is an example of how Curley tried to distinguish him from others, it also indicates that he was a good worker which is surprising since he is the bosses son, the reader would have expected him to be indolent. This is an example of the harsh times of the Great Depression where people were forced to work. His eyes “passed over the new men” which is similar to that of a bird scanning for its prey. However, when “he glanced coldly” the juxtaposition of the two words provides the impression that automatically, he dislikes the new ranch members. Steinbeck may be portraying the lack of trust the ranch members had with each other but could also symbolize the predatory nature of the world where people would not rely upon support others. However, it is evident that Steinbeck is foreshadowing the confrontation between Lennie and Curley and has effectively managed to represent the savage nature of Curley who would soon become an impediment for George and Lennie achieving their dream.

Curley is described as a “mean little guy” which not only represents the predatory nature of society where Curley due to his height, has to prove himself worthy. However, in the fight scene, Curley who exclaims “no son-of-a-b**** is going to laugh at me” takes advantage of Lennie’s mental, “kid” disability and attacks him. Lennie is described as a “terrier” and the use of this anthropomorphism indicates how he is vulnerable and subject to Curley’s torture. However, Curley is afraid of Slim, despite being the boss’s son, since all he can do is “glare” at Candy despite having the strength and body advantage. Steinbeck may have portrayed this as being a situation where the strong attack the weak, and the weak attack those who are weaker. However, as Candy was under Slim’s protection, he could only attack Lennie. This can be linked to the Great Depression which was a time of survival of the fittest since the itinerant worker had to fight to secure a job.

Curley’s wife is depicted as a possession of Curley’s. For instance, she is never named in the novel and is described as being “brittle.” This adjective is used to describe something that looks strong but in fact, it is weak on the inside. This is representative of Curley’s wife who is also subject to Curley’s “glova fulla Vaseline.” Here, it seems that she is a possession of Curley and Steinbeck may have criticized this social attitude via Slim, who does not call her a “tart” or a “looloo” but rather, greets her with “hello beautiful.” Slim is someone who overlooks social restriction- in this case her gender- and shows respect to Curley’s wife.

The reader may at first believe she was pathetic in marrying Curley but later we being to sympathise wither her. For instance, Curley’s wife is lonesome and solitary but we learn the true value of women was to be mere sex objects that were worth “two an-a half! Whilst a bottle of whisky was worth just a tiny bit less- “two bits.” This clearly shows the role of women in society was to be objects for men or to stay at home, the contrast between “two bits” and “two an’ a half” is apparent as it seems that women were not worth more than alcohol. Steinbeck has presented this using a dialogue but this also shows that brothels were seen as normal and not strange. This is also symbolism behind Curley’s wife who wore “a red dress” which foreshadows their ultimate fate and the abandoning of the American Dream, Women here are represented like Eve from the Garden of Eden where death and destruction follows as a result and although red can symbolize passion, it is a warning that she will be involved with Curley’s wife’s fate.

I would have less paragraphs
Original post by ryanb97
so i think we need a revision break

Who watched suits???

[video="youtube;85z53bAebsI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85z53bAebsI[/video]

Im fine doing hardcore revision thanks :wink:
I'm doing Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls tomorrow. Does anybody have any ideas what the questions might be on?
Original post by ryanb97
the subjects i will e doing are not as varied as yours
im going to do : maths, FM,AFM, bio,chem,physics
ive already got an A in AS maths... so you could say 5 .. but i will finish the A-level next year hehe

the best guy that i know of did 8... he went to cambridge to do maths.. he got 5A* and 2 A's

im gob smacked lol

ryan

my God!!! He must be so smart! You must be sooo smart for doing all that maths!!! My God, I think I'd die!!! I'm doing English Lit, Drama, Spanish and English Lang. My God...I feel slightly....insufficient now....:o:Sgood luck next year xD
anyone help me out on key vocabulary for an A/A* answer?
Original post by Chloe_Atherton
I'm doing Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls tomorrow. Does anybody have any ideas what the questions might be on?

Possible Mr Birling as he hasn't come up in a while
Reply 1156
Original post by Chloe_Atherton

My teacher thought it would either be Mr.Birling or Eric
Reply 1157
I'm doing OMAM tomorrow, does anyone know which characters are likely to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have written a response to the Sample Assessment Material question 14 for Of Mice And Men about dreams which is a theme others mentioned may be in the understanding prose exam tomorrow. This question has not been used yet as it was only sample assessment so they could actually still use it.
Anyway could you guys please mark it and give me some feedback, its probably terrible but see what you think............

Explore how dreams and dreaming affects individual characters in the novel
Dreams are very significant in the novella and are important to characters such as George, Lennie, Candy, Crooks and Curley’s wife. Steinbeck uses the vivid description of dreams to ensconce the reader and characters in the possibility of achievement of their dreams.

In the first section, George describes how they will “live off the fatta the lan’”. This phrase connotes freedom and independence as they are living off the “lan’” which suggests purity and a sense of simplicity. Although it connotes isolation as well, this is viewed positively because it is their land. Steinbeck uses this to symbolise the American Dream which promises freedom and independence to hard working and honest workers. This is especially significant due to the financial crisis and the Great Depression due to the Wall Street crash of 1929.

The movement of Lennie and George to the new ranch also represents the itinerant workers who migrate across the country in an attempt to find a job, relying on the hope provided by the American Dream. The in depth description of the dream and the detail of “the rabbits” and “the rain in the winter and the stove” provide the aspirations for the migrant workers which motivates them to work hard. This is important because of the Dust Bowl phenomenon of the 1930s which contributed to the lack of jobs and this therefore resulted in the difficulty of achieving the American Dream.

Furthermore, Steinbeck’s use optimistic description of the cream being so thick “you can hardly cut it” presents an idealistic image of the future life but is almost a paradox because later it becomes apparent to the reader this will not occur. Therefore this phrase could represent the hardships the characters endure in the attempt to achieve the dreams. This therefore affects George and Lennie because they rely on the hope and future idealistic images provided by the American Dream and motivates them to work hard in aspiration of achieving the dream.

In section five, Curley’s wife confides in Lennie and displays her view of dreams. Curley’s wife’s hidden positivity and optimism is shown as she tells Lennie “Maybe I will yet” (in reference to her dream of being a movie star). This phrase represents the dreams of females in 1930s America. It is also evidence to imply that although she is conscious of the fact she is achieving her dream, it is unlikely. Therefore she chooses to continue aspiring to achieve her dream. This affects her behaviour as a character due to the fact she uses anger and hostility as a defence mechanism for protecting her dream.

However Curley’s wife will experience difficulty in achieving her dream and this is represented by the control Curley attempts to assert on her. For example when Curley asks George “Well which way’d she go?” Curley’s anger and the control he attempts to enforce symbolises the lack of freedom and independence females experienced in 1930s America due to their lack of rights. This causes Curley’s wife to become defensive and use arrogant behaviour around others. However characters who share the dream in the novella confide in each other because they share common understanding. This is shown when the marginalised characters assemble in Crooks’ room.
Does anyone know what stories are likely to come up for Sunlight in the grass tomorrow? I haven't seen the Jan 2013 paper, so my predictions are probably miles off, and if anyone could let me know which stories were in said paper that would be great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending