The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

I love the quantum phenomena topic for this unit, but I have never been able to get my head around Feynman diagrams or interaction :frown: and I just find electricity a real chore to revise. Which sucks cause I really need an A by the end of this year :frown:
Original post by Felix Felicis
Ok, so you can work out the total resistance to be RT=(140×103+115×103)1=120×10311 ΩI=VR=1.1×103AR_{T} = \left( \dfrac{1}{40 \times 10^{3}} + \dfrac{1}{15 \times 10^{3}} \right)^{-1} = \dfrac{120 \times 10^{3}}{11} \ \Omega \Rightarrow I = \dfrac{V}{R} = 1.1 \times 10^{-3} A

Now, when the voltage branches off into the 2 parallel branches, the voltage stays the same (each coulomb of charge still has the same amount of energy) but the current splits as the charges split. Call the current across A-E I1I_{1} and the current across B-F I2I_{2}

From conservation of energy, you know that the potential difference (i.e. the voltage drop) across A-E has to be 12V as when the current branches from E and goes back to the cell, there should be a drop of 12J in every coulomb of charge, therefore you know that by Ohm's law 12=I1×(20×103+20×103)I1=1240×103=3×104A12 = I_{1} \times (20 \times 10^{3} + 20 \times 10^{3} ) \Rightarrow I_{1} = \dfrac{12}{40 \times 10^{3}} = 3 \times 10^{-4} A

Thus, the potential difference across A-C is 3×104×20×103=6V3 \times 10^{-4} \times 20 \times 10^{3} = 6V

By similar arguments, you can calculate the potential difference across BD and the difference in C-D is just the difference in potential difference from AC and BD.

You again! :P

Are you even doing this exam? haha

But thank you- that was a really useful explanation :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any advice for the electricity diagram questions?

Is it just: a) be able to draw potential divider circuits; b) be able to draw variable resistor circuits; c) always have an ammeter in series, and a voltmeter in parallel, with whatever you're measuring. Anything else?
Reply 503
Can someone give a simple explanation of why there is a maximum value for Ek in the photoelectric effect?

Thanks
Original post by Alistair_Mallard
Anyone got any bets on what the long answer question will be on?

last year: oscilloscope
year before: circuit
year before: photoelectric

it is screaming out to be another oscilloscope to me
What sort of things are on every 6-mark experiment question's mark scheme? Such as taking repeat readings, etc.
Original post by x-Sophie-x
You again! :P

Are you even doing this exam? haha

But thank you- that was a really useful explanation :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me again... :wink:

Lolno, OCR ftw. xD But I'm bored from my chem/ geog revision and decided to go on TSR considering I'm gated. xD I see physics question, I do random physics question => Monkey see, monkey do....xD

No probs :wink:
Original post by danlocke
Can someone give a simple explanation of why there is a maximum value for Ek in the photoelectric effect?

Thanks

Photons have energy dependent on frequency. Each electron absorbs the energy from 1 photon and therefore gains energy = hf, where hf is the energy of a light photon. An electron can leave the metal surface if the energy gained from a single photon exceeds the work function of the metal. therefore, the maximum ke of emitted electron is given by ek=hf-work function. (The intensity does not effect the max ke of a photoelectron). No matter how intense the light is, the electron will still absorb 1 photon, and there gains max kinetic equal to hf-work function.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BenChard

Internal resistance experiment though? never come up, and surely thats a contender?
Reply 509

They won't ask exactly the same question and theres no other reasonable questions to ask about osciloscopes
Original post by Goods
They won't ask exactly the same question and theres no other reasonable questions to ask about osciloscopes

I think the same.
And I seriously hope it isn't oscilloscopes..I hate them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone got a link to the jan 13 paper ?
preferably mark scheme to

if it is another oscilloscope question i will cry into my hands
Original post by vengeance111
anyone got a link to the jan 13 paper ?
preferably mark scheme to

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2317448&page=22&page=22 end post
Original post by Alistair_Mallard
Internal resistance experiment though? never come up, and surely thats a contender?

earlier in the thread I did suggest it could be a question on emf and internal resistance, just internal resistance would be too easy simply connect an ohmmeter to the battery

Original post by Goods

fair point I know my oscilloscopes inside out just In case. most likely is emf and internal resistance from a graph or possibly work function and threshold frequency from a graph.
Reply 515

Could possibly well be an oscilloscope :P
Reply 516

Doing this paper and it's asked for energy but it's got answer in Watts, is that a mistake because I thought energy is in Joules

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-W-QP-JUN11.PDF Question 6 d)ii
Reply 517
Original post by carrellii
I love the quantum phenomena topic for this unit, but I have never been able to get my head around Feynman diagrams or interaction :frown: and I just find electricity a real chore to revise. Which sucks cause I really need an A by the end of this year :frown:

Here are the 6 feyman diagrams you need to remember.

img005.jpg
Original post by Qari
Doing this paper and it's asked for energy but it's got answer in Watts, is that a mistake because I thought energy is in Joules

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-W-QP-JUN11.PDF Question 6 d)ii

Energy is Joules and power is joules/second. watt is another name for power.

I just feel like its gonna be another one on circuits, something on a filament lamp hasn't come up before

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending