The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Clarky747
:smile:

Do you happen to have the January 2013 paper? My teachers aren't able to log on to the teacher section of the AQA website.

I don't see anything wrong with doing so as for the people doing AS next year the June 2013 paper will be the unknown one that they can't access.

Don't worry if you can't.
Reply 541
Original post by henpen
Do you happen to have the January 2013 paper? My teachers aren't able to log on to the teacher section of the AQA website.

I don't see anything wrong with doing so as for the people doing AS next year the June 2013 paper will be the unknown one that they can't access.

Don't worry if you can't.

Yeah :smile:
image.jpg

how is the voltmeter measuring 'lost volts'? is it not measuring pd across the variable resistor?
Original post by BenChard
image.jpg

how is the voltmeter measuring 'lost volts'? is it not measuring pd across the variable resistor?

Lost volt is the voltage lost inside the battery.
Reply 544
image.jpg

I don't understand what your getting at?
Original post by StalkeR47
Lost volt is the voltage lost inside the battery.

the text says about as current increase, volts lots increase and pd decreases. I just need this explained please
I don't understand what your getting at?

voltmeter is not measuring lost volt. it is measuring the voltage at the resistor. however, as the current increases, the lost volt inside the battery also increases so the pd across battery terminal decreases. and therefore, the voltmeter reads lower value of voltage at the resistance. Again, this is because more voltage is being used up in the battery (increase in lost volt). Did you get this?
Reply 547
the text says about as current increase, volts lots increase and pd decreases. I just need this explained please

As current increases. Heat dissipated in the battery increases and so more voltage is lost in the internal resistance of the battery as increased temperature increases voltage needed. Therefore as more volts are lost in the battery. The voltage shown on the voltmeter will have decreased.
voltmeter is not measuring lost volt. it is measuring the voltage at the resistor. however, as the current increases, the lost volt inside the battery also increases so the pd across battery terminal decreases. and therefore, the voltmeter reads lower value of voltage at the resistance. Again, this is because more voltage is being used up in the battery (increase in lost volt). Did you get this?

thanks that's cleared things up :biggrin:
As current increases. Heat dissipated in the battery increases and so more voltage is lost in the internal resistance of the battery as increased temperature increases voltage needed. Therefore as more volts are lost in the battery. The voltage shown on the voltmeter will have decreased.

Yes! that is what I said.
thanks that's cleared things up :biggrin:

Your welcome!:wink:
Reply 551
Yes! that is what I said.

Sorry, you must of posted it while I was typing.

this also helped, thanks:rolleyes:
Sorry, you must of posted it while I was typing.

Oh! It is ok. :smile:

The volts are lost to increased heating due to current.... it becomes much lesser than the EMF value (which can be considered as like the true pd).

This is why you can only find EMF when the current is zero... because there's no heating in the circuit therefore no resistance.... therefore no loss of volts :tongue: so you get the EMF, this of course practically never happens... there's always some kind of resistance :smile: So that's why you use the graph from experimental data to predict the EMF value
Reply 555
Hi does anyone have a list of all the experiments that could come up for 6 marker for unit 1?
Guys, what are the hardest electricity questions you have ever come across in the past papers?
Reply 557
Yeah :smile:

Excellent, you are by far the most useful person I know wrt the January 2013 papers.
Original post by Jatt.B
Hi does anyone have a list of all the experiments that could come up for 6 marker for unit 1?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=217144&d=1368903799
that's what has come up, I think it will be:

- graph of emf and internal resistance
- graph of threshold frequency and work function
- filament lamp circuit
- osiclloscope
Reply 559
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=217144&d=1368903799
that's what has come up, I think it will be:

- graph of emf and internal resistance
- graph of threshold frequency and work function
- filament lamp circuit
- osiclloscope

Thank you! Also, is tommorow likely to be a harder paper? since most people doing it will be retaking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending