The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olympiad
awww, you'll do great anyhow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

For To Kill A Mockingbird, which themes might come up in the exam?
Reply 1222
Original post by artyom
What are some of your interpretations that you would use when referring to Arthur Birling in An Inspector Calls?

No one here has any interpretations related to Mr Birling? I would really appreciate if someone could help me out here, as I don't know the things I could write on Mr Birling, apart from the obvious characteristics and his capitalistic ideology. I would upload revision notes and some essays I had collaborated into one word document in return. Though it may not be finished, it does have a bit over 7,000 words. The document only contains notes on An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men, however.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ryan075
Yeah it was. I thought they were the same thing :/

What's the barn then?

The bunkhouse was where they lived the barn was where the death of Curley's wife occurred and the puppies innocence.So it symbolises death.It also foreshadows Leenie's death.
Original post by Elm Tree

Thanks you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1225
what questions are predicted to come up on the of mice and men foundation paper also what question for an inspector calls??
please respond someone with a list of previous exam question of past papers like from 2008-2013.
Reply 1226
Do we spend 45 mins on each?:smile:
Original post by artyom
No one here has any interpretations related to Mr Birling? I would really appreciate if someone could help me out here, as I don't know the things I could write on Mr Birling, apart from the obvious characteristics and his capitalistic ideology. I would upload revision notes and some essays I had collaborated into one word document in return. Though it may not be finished, it does have a bit over 7,000 words. The document only contains notes on An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men, however.

Ooh, I don't know. I suppose it depends on the question what I would write but perhaps saying something about him being selfish due to the fact that he made his own way in this world and didn't rely on anybody else so why should he help someone else.

Also, I always think that his views on love are interesting as he appears to warm to Gerald and want him to marry his daughter because of his status so did he only marry his wife for her status and if so, is that why his children have grown up and committed such actions (Sheila's basically a spoilt b**** who does learn to be decent and Eric's an alcohol and the fact that they change suggests that they were a little messed up by their parents but 'fixable')
Original post by Evieb97
Do we spend 45 mins on each?:smile:

:yep:

That's what is recommended.
Hi guys, could you help me to understand how to answer this question if it was to come up
How does the character of slim present 1930's America?
Please helpp it would be MUCH appreciated thanks

(BTW I'm predicted an A so would you be able to show me how to answer it to an A/A* answer?)
Original post by Olympiad
Relationships you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Place. There's only about 3 poems that I'm in love with though and I really wish that I was doing Character and Voice although I don't know how easy it is to get high marks in that.

What's Relationships like?
Original post by Mallory
I really want an A/A* to get into my sixth form , is everyone aiming for that too?

I was wondering I got like 83% in my course work ( the teacher used last years mark scheme which was like high and many people complained about it)

It is still possible to get an A* ?:confused:

If you got 33/40 (83%) you were only 2 marks away from a* which is 35 and the cw is only 25% so as long as you get over the a* boundaries in the exam by a bit you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by fbrep2012
i reckon slim or Crooks will come up in of Mice and Men, as they've not been asked about in previous past papers. For an Inspector Calls, I reckon there will be a question on Mrs Birling or Eric. That's what I'm analysing thoroughly atm, the relationship between Eric and his dad, birling.

Crooks came up in January.
Do you think 3 very detailed point paragraphs backed up with 1-2 quotations each and an introduction and conclusion would be enough for the section A question?
Reply 1234
My teacher said a side per 15 marks, so thats a total of four sides, I always write more though:")

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ineedhelp4
Hi guys, could you help me to understand how to answer this question if it was to come up
How does the character of slim present 1930's America?
Please helpp it would be MUCH appreciated thanks

(BTW I'm predicted an A so would you be able to show me how to answer it to an A/A* answer?)

Well to get an A/A* you can pretty much say anything but answer it as: PEEISAI (which stands for POINT, EVIDENCE, EXPLAIN, IDENTIFY a word from the evidence, SUGGEST what it means, give an ALTERNATIVE interpretation and state the writer's INTENTIONS).

But as for the historical context I suppose you would write about how he is perhaps the only worker who realises that the American Dream is unrealistic and that he is an intelligent Migrant worker which supports the view that everybody was affected by the dustbowl and the Great Depression etc. Not just the not so clever people.

Hope that helped!
Reply 1236
Original post by tatwriter
Ooh, I don't know. I suppose it depends on the question what I would write but perhaps saying something about him being selfish due to the fact that he made his own way in this world and didn't rely on anybody else so why should he help someone else.

Also, I always think that his views on love are interesting as he appears to warm to Gerald and want him to marry his daughter because of his status so did he only marry his wife for her status and if so, is that why his children have grown up and committed such actions (Sheila's basically a spoilt b**** who does learn to be decent and Eric's an alcohol and the fact that they change suggests that they were a little messed up by their parents but 'fixable')

The questions that would appear *if* Mr Birling would come up in the exam, may be something like "What is the importance of Arthur Birling and how does Priestley present him?" or a question contrasting the characters of Eric and Mr Birling. I'm just hoping they both don't come up in the exam. I'd try to find a quote and then interpret it.

Here is the document for your effort to reply, lol.
Original post by goldfish21
Do you think 3 very detailed point paragraphs backed up with 1-2 quotations each and an introduction and conclusion would be enough for the section A question?

I think it also depends on what the question is. My teacher has always said don't go for length, go for time. For example, if you're only on your second point and you have, say, 10 minutes left, then don't try to rush a third because having one more rubbishy bit is more damaging to your marks than missing a bit?

But try and plan (ish) your essays and give yourself a rough time scale for each point. If you ensure that you don't ramble you should have more than enough time.
In Section B, are the marks split 15 then 15 for part a then part b or could you get. for example, 17 and 13 if your answer for part a was stronger?

And how many Point, evidence, explain, alternative interpretation paragraphs would you suggest doing? (I'm meant to be aiming for an A* but my teacher hasn't given us any essay planning or writing guidance)
Original post by tatwriter
Well to get an A/A* you can pretty much say anything but answer it as: PEEISAI (which stands for POINT, EVIDENCE, EXPLAIN, IDENTIFY a word from the evidence, SUGGEST what it means, give an ALTERNATIVE interpretation and state the writer's INTENTIONS).

But as for the historical context I suppose you would write about how he is perhaps the only worker who realises that the American Dream is unrealistic and that he is an intelligent Migrant worker which supports the view that everybody was affected by the dustbowl and the Great Depression etc. Not just the not so clever people.

Hope that helped!

thank you!! :biggrin: but i don't get how slim links to 1930's america?

Quick Reply