The Student Room Group

English Lit B-17th May exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dooobie_
Ah cool. I've used loads of points but I've hardlies explained. I think I'll only get 15 marks for section B. It isn't my forte hahaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

Na the points you said sound good, i'm sure you'll get 20+:tongue:. And you only need 46 for an A, so even if you get 20 you'd need 26/42 on Section A:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 301
Hey for anyone that did Auden/Frost (or maybe even other author's, idk) in Section A, the even number asked to focus on just one poem (For Auden it asked about religion in Victor).

Usually, or at least I've been lead to believe, the section A even asks you to cover a range of poems.

Did you guys cover a range as well, or stuck specifically to just one poem?

Original post by kenjina
Hey for anyone that did Auden/Frost (or maybe even other author's, idk) in Section A, the even number asked to focus on just one poem (For Auden it asked about religion in Victor).

Usually, or at least I've been lead to believe, the section A even asks you to cover a range of poems.

I did Auden, just covered the one poem:smile: Just concentrated on the question tbh, wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 303
Reading through, it looks like not many people did the time settings section B question. Who did it? and what texts did you do?
Reply 304
Original post by timjn14
Reading through, it looks like not many people did the time settings section B question. Who did it? and what texts did you do?

"in the woods on a snowy evening" -Robert Frost

"Rime of the ancient Mariner"

"Birdsong"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 305
Original post by kenjina

Usually it asks for a range but sometimes they ask to focus on one. I did Frost and used Auden for Section B. You're supposed to stick to the one they've asked you to talk about but if you mention other poems that shows you know his works well. But yeah the points should be focused on Victor or Out, Out -- respectively.
Reply 306
Original post by timjn14

Most people at my school did time settings and out texts are Frost, Auden, Kite Runner and Great Expectations (don't know any other school that uses Great Expectations!)
Reply 307
Original post by KayeH
"in the woods on a snowy evening" -Robert Frost

"Rime of the ancient Mariner"

"Birdsong"

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you write about for Rime? I did how it is written in an older style and how the more modern style of the annotations showed how ancient the story was but couldn't think of much else to write!
For Section A i did Kite Runner..which is what i always do :tongue:
The 1st question was ok lol.."..in Chapter 22"..said he uses memories and memories could represent the breakdown of Amir's consciousness and understanding - especially after the rape..(should have added could also be a turning point as it is the 1st time he decides not to run from his past when he has been throughout the novel mentally and physically)..also a chapter after the rape so the childlike voice- simple and unembellished - events interpreted and emotions considered is lost and replaced with just showing events and not attempting to show emotions..also how Amir can be unreliable as a narrator since he want's to be disliked- focuses only on the bad things "i wish Rahim Khan hadn't called me.."..and parrallels/ mirrors - baba seeking redemption in form of an orphanage and Amir in the form of an orphan - "like father like son" and how we don't realise how much Baba and Amir are alike till later on as the narrative progresses..but i really didn't say it was a parallel or mirror but would that matter?..

2nd Question
I was like wtf cuz it asked like two questions "..hero too good to be true" and "role and character.."..anyway good i read something on Rahim Khan recently..i wrote how he was the catalyst for truth - telling Amir of Baba's betrayal..helped Amir find "a way to be good again"..(should have added only character given a chapter to narrate) - fills in for Amir's absence..supported Amir in is writing when Baba didn't # I should have also said how Baba first read Amir's story in the book that Rahim gave Amir as a present#..said that he was too good to be true as he also lied by livng with knowing Baba's betrayal - lying is stealing from people the right to truth and stealing is an unforgivable sin according to Baba..how his role or character doesn't bring anything to the novel as he is not always there - left in afghanistan so where he got his evidence of things can't be reliable #don't know if that is even needed lol#..

Section B i did time setting..stayed away from conflict since i failed at crises in the mock lol.. Auden, Gatsby and TRoTAM..
Auden uses months as time settings to show pathetic fallacy in Victor..father died lacing up his boots at december..december is winter- snow..how snow covers up things..lacing up his boots covers up the seriousness of the cause of death - heart disease (should have added or heigtens it) as lacing up boots is an everyday thing so heart disease can happen at anytime and to anyone.."..married in august" - although it is summer its nearing autumn - season of decay and foreshadows what is to come...and that decay came in september when he heard of "..fun in the baby Austin car.." so looked for a twisted way of respecting the family name by killing his wife

Fitzgerald uses exact times as time settings in Gatsby to show the routine lives of the rich - "at 9:30 we had dinner"..shows how the American Dream eludes people but they still strive towards it..also how the death of a hero broke the routine "at 10:30 there was a procession of 3 cars heading to Gatsby funeral"..though i should have talked about the jazz age and the time gatsby died - how a dreamer can't live without their dreams..

Coleridge uses times of days to juxtapose the changes in nature in TRoTAM..nighttime when the moon is up Mariner experiences great relief - rain and sleep..daytime when the sun is up experiences great pain - baked tongues and having to drink his blood..when it should be the other way round - night is where shady things happen and day is where innocent/ good things happen...this emphasises that it was no ordinary sea the Mariner was stranded on..afterall he had already witnessed supernatural things - "shot the bird that brought the fog and mist"..

Um..anyway what do you think so far? lol :/..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 309
Original post by SkittlerSnicks_x
For Section A i did Kite Runner..which is what i always do :tongue:
The 1st question was ok lol.."..in Chapter 22"..said he uses memories and memories could symbolise the breakdown of Amir's consciousness and understanding - especially after the rape..could also be a turning point as it is the 1st time he decides not to run from his past when he has been throughout the novel mentally and physically..also a chapter after the rape so the childlike voice- simple and unembellished - events interpreted and emotions considered is lost and replaced with just showing events and not attempting to show emotions..also how Amir can be unreliable as a narrator since he want's to be disliked- focuses only on the bad things "i wish Rahim Khan hadn't called me.."..and parrallels/ mirrors - baba seeking redemption in form of an orphanage and Amir in the form of an orphan - "like father like son" and how we don't realise how much Baba and Amir are alike till later on as the narrative progresses..

2nd Question
I was like wtf cuz it asked like two questions "..hero too good to be true" and "role and character.."..anyway good i read something on Rahim Khan recently..i wrote how he was the catalyst for truth - telling Amir of Baba's betrayal..helped Amir find "a way to be good again"..only character given a chapter to narrate - fills in for Amir's absence..supported Amir in is writing when Baba didn't # I should have also said how Baba first read Amir's story in the book that Rahim gave Amir as a present#..said that he was too good to be true as he also lied by livng with knowing Baba's betrayal - lying is stealing from people the right to truth and stealing is an unforgivable sin according to Baba..how his role or character doesn't bring anything to the novel as he is not always there - left in afghanistan so where he got his evidence of things can't be reliable #don't know if that is even needed lol#..

Section B i did time setting..stayed away from conflict since i failed at crises in the mock lol.. Auden, Gatsby and TRoTAM..
Auden uses months as time settings to show pathetic fallacy in Victor..father died lacing up his boots at december..december is winter- snow..how snow covers up things..lacing up his boots covers up the seriousness of the cause of death - heart disease or heigtens it as lacing up boots is an everyday thing so heart disease can happen at anytime and to anyone.."..married in august" - although it is summer its nearing autumn - season of decay and foreshadows what is to come...and that decay came in september when he heard of "..fun in the baby Austin car.." so looked for a twisted way of respecting the family name by killing his wife

Fitzgerald uses exact times as time settings in Gatsby to show the routine lives of the rich - "at 9:30 we had dinner"..shows how the American Dream eludes people but they still strive towards it..also how the death of a hero broke the routine "at 10:30 there was a procession of 3 cars heading to Gatsby funeral"..though i should have talked about the jazz age and the time gatsby died - how a dreamer can't live without their dreams..

Coleridge uses times of days to juxtapose the changes in nature in TRoTAM..nighttime when the moon is up Mariner experiences great relief - rain and sleep..daytime when the sun is up experiences great pain - baked tongues and having to drink his blood..when it should be the other way round - night is where shady things happen and day is where innocent/ good things happen...this emphasises that it was no ordinary sea the Mariner was stranded on..afterall he had already witnessed supernatural things - "shot the bird that brought the fog and mist"..

Um..anyway what do you think so far? lol :/..

Sounds really good! I panicked on TRoTAM and forgot that, ended up having to talk about the weather and desperately try and link it to seasons :/
Original post by timjn14
Sounds really good! I panicked on TRoTAM and forgot that, ended up having to talk about the weather and desperately try and link it to seasons :/

oh you should have linked it to times of day..would have been easier as you can't really tell what season it is in TRoTAM..i think seasons would have been more appropiate for Auden lol especially in Victor..the main Auden peom i usually use is O what is that sound but time settings are not apparent in it..do you think conflict is though..anyway like i said stayed away from conflict since i failed crises in the mock lol..you say you panicked i found myself unusually calm lol..maybe because i had 2 english based exams (economics and philosophy) in the morning so i already kind of had some practice lol..idk really but i usually panic in english lit exams haha..plus i finished all my exams in time which i've never done before in class!...same went for my gcses..maybe i perform more under pressure...didn't use better because my gcse results were just ok lol..

PS: how many marks do you think i would have got in each question from what you've read so far??..and do you have to write "this is significant because..." "This is important because.." e.t.c or can you just go straight into it like "this shows how the American dream eludes people but they still strive towards it" "this emphasises the fact that this was no ordinary sea the Mariner was stranded on" :/...ugh if the former can't believe i forgot to add that...it would have been easy to slip in "Time setting used in this way is significant as it shows how the American Dream..." "Time setting used in this way is important as it emphasises the fact that this was no ordinary sea.."...
(edited 10 years ago)
I didn't choose the time setting one because I thought it'd be difficult to link the setting with times sometimes too - especially with the ancient mariner. But then again I could have linked it to timelessness, which was why the sea was calm, no wind, etcetera. I hate when I think of things after the exam, but I found crises easier to talk about at the time. I thought this question made it easy to become unfocused, and more on the setting than the days, moths and years used, like the question asked for.

Does anyone else think the time we have should be longer? I ran out time for last question, my RoTAM suffered for it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 312
If you missed out the 42 mark question, can you still get a decent enough grade?
Reply 313
Original post by ChloeBazingaa

Does anyone else think the time we have should be longer? I ran out time for last question, my RoTAM suffered for it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is quite a tight exam for time :frown: What I did was do Section A part 1 then Section B, then went back and did Section A part 2...if that makes sense. I know I'm better at Section B so I wanted to make sure I had time and could get it all balanced between the texts.. whereas for the second question of Section A there's no specified number of points to make,
Original post by Smarticus
If you missed out the 42 mark question, can you still get a decent enough grade?

lol section B that is half of the marks..so you're looking at a D or lower :/...is that a decent enough grade?..though that still depends on how well you answered section A..
Original post by ChloeBazingaa
I didn't choose the time setting one because I thought it'd be difficult to link the setting with times sometimes too - especially with the ancient mariner. But then again I could have linked it to timelessness, which was why the sea was calm, no wind, etcetera. I hate when I think of things after the exam, but I found crises easier to talk about at the time. I thought this question made it easy to become unfocused, and more on the setting than the days, moths and years used, like the question asked for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

but they even gave examples of time settings i.e months, times of day, specific years e.t.c...if i hadn't seen that i would have thought it meant linking setting with times and would have instead gone with conflict..which would have been tragic!..since i failed at crises in the mock..so good i didn't lol..and you said we needed a longer time i had like ten minutes left! lol..which is really rare for me in English lit..i usually never finish let alone have spare time left..

times of day include daytime and nighttime and there were lots of this TRoTAM..moon and sun should be evident enough lol..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SkittlerSnicks_x
lol section B that is half of the marks..so you're looking at a D or lower :/...is that a decent enough grade?..though that still depends on how well you answered section A..

You're not quite right there, 46/84 for the past two papers has been an A.

In theory, if you got fully marks on Section A you could 42/84 , which is a B. You'd have to do really well though. So in reality, you do need some form of answer in Section B.
Original post by dsfdsfdsf
You're not quite right there, 46/84 for the past two papers has been an A.

In theory, if you got fully marks on Section A you could 42/84 , which is a B. You'd have to do really well though. So in reality, you do need some form of answer in Section B.

i still added though depends on how well you do on section a...
Reply 318
I think I only will have got 15 marks in the last section and maybe, if I'm lucky.. 25 in the first section. I'll probably get a C/D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 319
By the way guys, I didn't miss out the 42 marker, that's just stupid, I was just wondering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending