**A2 Classical Civilisation**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingFalcon
Anyone doing the Augustus unit? :eek:

I'm doing the same as you! Augustus & Tiberius and Claudius :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
OMG :eek:

Haha! How are you finding revision? I've like finished the scheme of work and now just doing the past papers and general revision... :confused:

Original post by Jeanie_Olivia
I'm doing the same as you! Augustus & Tiberius and Claudius :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingFalcon
OMG :eek:

Haha! How are you finding revision? I've like finished the scheme of work and now just doing the past papers and general revision... :confused:

I'm finding I relatively easy so far but I haven't done any of their foreign policies or Augustus' constitutional politics yet! So I'm stressing about that :P have you revised any quotes from Suetonius, Tacitus or the Res Gestae yet? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing the Aeneid and Art & Architecture units. :smile: Struggling to memorise all the dates and places at the moment eek!
Reply 24
Original post by vanessadixit
I'm doing the Aeneid and Art & Architecture units. :smile: Struggling to memorise all the dates and places at the moment eek!

Finally someone else doing this unit! :biggrin:
I'm actually dreading this exam though, how are you finding it? Don't suppose you have any predictions of what may come up?!
Original post by Alejandro
Finally someone else doing this unit! :biggrin:
I'm actually dreading this exam though, how are you finding it? Don't suppose you have any predictions of what may come up?!

I'm finding the Art revision difficult because unless you know the dates and stuff you can't move on! Haha. I have a feeling that they might ask a Delphi vs Olympia question for sanctuaries, because it hasn't come up as an essay question for ages. The other art... who knows... I'm just preparing answers to questions like How typical is A of the time period/How original/How influential/which is more aesthetically pleasing.

The Aeneid... very little revision done so far! I'm hoping they'll ask something general like role of the gods or heroism. :P

How is revision going for you? :smile:
Reply 26
I'm also doing Virgil and Art and Architecture. My teacher says that you will be fine if you learn the centuries and the Period in which the art work fits in. However I am learning all the exact dates just to be safe, my teacher has made these grids which I'm just testing myself on constantly. I Think that for the Art and Arch exam I am praying for a early black figure vases question!! I also have a feeling that female 5th Century sculpture might come up but I may be wrong!!! With Virgil, they asked about the gods in an essay last year so I don't think it will come up as an essay this year.. I have a feeling that women might though again I may be wrong. How are you all revising for it though? I'm going through all the characters thematically in three sections; Men and Heroes, Women and Gods+Goddesses and then ill go through how each of those characters fits into themes, what about all of you?
Reply 27
I'm finding the Art revision difficult because unless you know the dates and stuff you can't move on! Haha. I have a feeling that they might ask a Delphi vs Olympia question for sanctuaries, because it hasn't come up as an essay question for ages. The other art... who knows... I'm just preparing answers to questions like How typical is A of the time period/How original/How influential/which is more aesthetically pleasing.

The Aeneid... very little revision done so far! I'm hoping they'll ask something general like role of the gods or heroism. :P

How is revision going for you? :smile:

Oh good luck with The Aeneid! I've already sat that exam thankfully (This art one is a resit unfortunately!) I found that so much easier compared to this art exam :frown:

I agree about the Delphi vs Olympia question, I reckon it will definitely be a question on sanctuaries and as you said neither of those have come up in a while!
I hope they come up because I'm focusing a lot of my revision on them!
Oh good luck with The Aeneid! I've already sat that exam thankfully (This art one is a resit unfortunately!) I found that so much easier compared to this art exam :frown:

I agree about the Delphi vs Olympia question, I reckon it will definitely be a question on sanctuaries and as you said neither of those have come up in a while!
I hope they come up because I'm focusing a lot of my revision on them!

I see! For the Aeneid, do you feel like the time was tight? Whenever I do mocks I run out of time. :frown: Even though Sanctuaries is my favourite topic, I'm mainly going to focus on the other three because they aren't as broad. What went wrong last year, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 29
I see! For the Aeneid, do you feel like the time was tight? Whenever I do mocks I run out of time. :frown: Even though Sanctuaries is my favourite topic, I'm mainly going to focus on the other three because they aren't as broad. What went wrong last year, if you don't mind me asking?

Oh really? I always assumed there was more to learn in the other 3! What section do you find easiest then?

No, I don't mind you asking :smile: Well basically I (very stupidly) barely revised for the paper at all and that really isn't an exaggeration, I think I glanced at my notes briefly the night before the exam! I basically focused all of my revision into the Aeneid and all of my other exams! - Very bad move though, ended up coming out with a U in this paper haha :frown: I literally got to the exam and didn't really write anything!

Luckily I only need a mid D overall in this exam to get a B in the Alevel overall, but I'm still panicking loads as if you don't know a question, you're kinda stuck completely!

With regards to the Aeneid, I did kind of find the time was tight, however thankfully the literature type essays have always been one of my strong points (unlike the art/architecture essays) and so I always found them pretty easy. I think the best thing to do is carry on with the past papers and of course ensure you know the text inside & out, that way when you get the exam question, you can quickly write down a short plan so you know exactly what you'll be writing and therefore hopefully you're time keeping will be a little more well managed!

This is really really bad, but in all honesty I'm actually kind of taking a risk with this paper anyway, I'm kind of focusing mainly on the sanctuaries and temples + 1 other module for my revision, that way it really cuts down what I have to learn. But of course this is very risky as not only may I get a question I really don't like, but there's also the risk of two of the sections I revised most coming up in the same section of the exam, meaning I could only answer one! It's all very stressful, can not wait till it's over! :colondollar:
Reply 30
I've covered all of the content like from the specification. I've learnt a few quotes from all of the texts but because the spec is so vast and covers a lot of topics, it is really unpredictable of what actually might come up... :confused:

Trying to just cover everything hopefully and hoping that the 40 mark essay isn't too bad on both of the papers!

Have you had any like tips on how to do the essay? I'm teaching myself the whole of A2 Classics with some help and guidance from my AS Classics teacher (long story) so yeah just trying my best to kind of make sure I know the stuff for the exam :eek:

Original post by Jeanie_Olivia
I'm finding I relatively easy so far but I haven't done any of their foreign policies or Augustus' constitutional politics yet! So I'm stressing about that :P have you revised any quotes from Suetonius, Tacitus or the Res Gestae yet? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh really? I always assumed there was more to learn in the other 3! What section do you find easiest then?

No, I don't mind you asking :smile: Well basically I (very stupidly) barely revised for the paper at all and that really isn't an exaggeration, I think I glanced at my notes briefly the night before the exam! I basically focused all of my revision into the Aeneid and all of my other exams! - Very bad move though, ended up coming out with a U in this paper haha :frown: I literally got to the exam and didn't really write anything!

Luckily I only need a mid D overall in this exam to get a B in the Alevel overall, but I'm still panicking loads as if you don't know a question, you're kinda stuck completely!

With regards to the Aeneid, I did kind of find the time was tight, however thankfully the literature type essays have always been one of my strong points (unlike the art/architecture essays) and so I always found them pretty easy. I think the best thing to do is carry on with the past papers and of course ensure you know the text inside & out, that way when you get the exam question, you can quickly write down a short plan so you know exactly what you'll be writing and therefore hopefully you're time keeping will be a little more well managed!

This is really really bad, but in all honesty I'm actually kind of taking a risk with this paper anyway, I'm kind of focusing mainly on the sanctuaries and temples + 1 other module for my revision, that way it really cuts down what I have to learn. But of course this is very risky as not only may I get a question I really don't like, but there's also the risk of two of the sections I revised most coming up in the same section of the exam, meaning I could only answer one! It's all very stressful, can not wait till it's over! :colondollar:

I think there's way more facts to learn in the Sanctuaries bit, whereas in the other three you can kind of wing it as long as you have an opinion. I'm finding the dates/artists easiest to learn for Free Standing, but I prefer answering questions on Vases and Architectural. Hehe.

I'm sure you can pull out an A this time since you know exactly what to do this time around, so good luck! :smile: Haha yeah the format is sneaky cause you're have to know everything inside out to really be on top of it. I'm going to focus on the three I like and go in with average knowledge of the sanctuaries. I hope if Sanctuaries do come up it'll be an essay question, cause if it's a picture question then it'll be all technical and I just can't get my head around the terms.

It is very stressful, definitely! Class. Civ. is my priority this year so hopefully I'll revise enough for it! I've got AS units to do first though (fast-tracking!), but come half term I'll be all over Art and The Aeneid! :biggrin:

Original post by jrom1
I'm also doing Virgil and Art and Architecture. My teacher says that you will be fine if you learn the centuries and the Period in which the art work fits in. However I am learning all the exact dates just to be safe, my teacher has made these grids which I'm just testing myself on constantly. I Think that for the Art and Arch exam I am praying for a early black figure vases question!! I also have a feeling that female 5th Century sculpture might come up but I may be wrong!!! With Virgil, they asked about the gods in an essay last year so I don't think it will come up as an essay this year.. I have a feeling that women might though again I may be wrong. How are you all revising for it though? I'm going through all the characters thematically in three sections; Men and Heroes, Women and Gods+Goddesses and then ill go through how each of those characters fits into themes, what about all of you?

I'm learning all the exact dates/artists/places/materials, as the specification asks us to. 5th century sculpture and Women in The Aeneid would just be a godsend! I hope the Parthenon friezes/pediments don't come up in any way cause I still can't tell the difference between East and West. For Virgil, I'm revising by theme (e.g. Honour & Reputation, Women, Family, Gods...) and comparing Homer/Virgil. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by fullstars
HI,
I’m doing Greek tragedy and the Aeneid, so a bit of Augustus stuff. I’ve heard class civ is a good A level for law. Got a friend doing straight law at UWE Bristol and she’s really enjoying it. Good luck!

Hi! I'm doing Greek Comedy and the Aeneid+Illiad! finding it really hard to revise the epics, how are you preparing?
Reply 33
HI,
I’m doing Greek tragedy and the Aeneid, so a bit of Augustus stuff. I’ve heard class civ is a good A level for law. Got a friend doing straight law at UWE Bristol and she’s really enjoying it. Good luck!

Hey, I am also doing the Aeneid and Greek Tragedy. How are you finding the Greek Tragedy practice papers? I have done a couple, really struggling... what has your teacher told you about exam technique for it? Mine's given me nothing!
Heyy - I'm doing Augustus and The Aeneid :smile:

Question for fellow Augustans:

How are you approaching your revision?
I've learnt his rise to power but after that it gets very bitty with his dealings with the different groups - I'm not sure where to start!
Any advice or resources you recommend?

Thank youuu! :smile:
Reply 35
HI,

hey i'm doing Greek tragedy and the Aeneid too was wondering if you could offer any revision tips?
HI,

Hey I'm doing those modules this summer too :smile: how are you finding Greek tragedy? My weakest play is Hippolytus so I hope it doesn't come up :/
Original post by AliceA
Hey, I am also doing the Aeneid and Greek Tragedy. How are you finding the Greek Tragedy practice papers? I have done a couple, really struggling... what has your teacher told you about exam technique for it? Mine's given me nothing!

Hi, I've just seen you are doing the same modules as me as well :smile: is it essay technique or the plays themselves you are finding difficult?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by hannah_lou
Hey I'm doing those modules this summer too :smile: how are you finding Greek tragedy? My weakest play is Hippolytus so I hope it doesn't come up :/

hey iv been told that for the 40 marker we need to know all the plays to be able to right a synoptic assessment.... so don't shy away from revising it :smile:
Original post by Aamna01
hey iv been told that for the 40 marker we need to know all the plays to be able to right a synoptic assessment.... so don't shy away from revising it :smile:

Oh yeah I know that, I mean for the Section A and Section B part, couldn't be lucky enough to avoid it altogether :P I'm doing alright on the 40 markers, it's just when the first part of the exam has a Hippolytus bit haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending