The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryanb97
i will be aiming for an A* ... but to take in the fact that i only started lit in late january i wouldnt beat my self up with an A :biggrin:

ok...

LOTF

Q1. How does golding Present the character of Ralph within the novel, and what is the signifgance of him?
Q2. The island is the best place for the novel to occur. How much do you agree with this statement and why?

OMAM

ermm.... this is tough... you do this one and then well we do them :biggrin:

:trytofly::thumbsup:

ryan

Okay, here's one for Of Mice and Men :wink:
a) Read the passage at the beginning of chapter 6 from "the deep green pool..." to "reeds at the pool's side."
What methods does Steinbeck use to show the differences/similarities between humans and nature?

b) How does Steinbeck use the American Dream to motivate and connect different characters?
Reply 1361
Is anyone doing the Woman in Black. Completely screwed for that but at least I'm better at Of Mice and Men.
Important
6.5 Insightful exploration of a range of telling detail to support response to context(s)
What does it mean
ASAP
Why is no one doing Sunlight on the grass!!!! i don't want to fail
Original post by VickyHendry

Original post by Olympiad
.....]

i go to a catholic shool and we are not getting clean copies .... we should be happy!

Spoiler

Original post by Jake97
boooooooo you all, IGCSE is way harder

and... you probably have better teacher,,, and start your GCSE's in year 9 ... meh?
Reply 1365
Original post by ryanb97
i go to a catholic shool and we are not getting clean copies .... we should be happy!

Spoiler

and... you probably have better teacher,,, and start your GCSE's in year 9 ... meh?

No actually, my teachers crap, i practically self taught myself, i started in year 10 and i dont do any modules like GCSE candidates, i get 1 shot at it, no retakes. Exactly.
Reply 1366
tbh why are you guys even allowed to write in the books, then the book would always be clean

Important

6.5 Insightful exploration of a range of telling detail to support response to context(s)
What does it mean?
ASAP
OF MICE AND MEN - What actually IS the California Civil Code?
Original post by artyom
No one here has any interpretations related to Mr Birling? I would really appreciate if someone could help me out here, as I don't know the things I could write on Mr Birling, apart from the obvious characteristics and his capitalistic ideology. I would upload revision notes and some essays I had collaborated into one word document in return. Though it may not be finished, it does have a bit over 7,000 words. The document only contains notes on An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men, however.

- Mr Birling is presented by Priestley in a stereotypical manner, for instance he is exactly what the audience would imagine a pompous factory owner to look like, as a 'heavy-looking, rather portentous man in his middle fifties', in 1912. In addition, he is in fact Priestley's own example of the heartlessness of capitalism.

- He is portrayed by Priestley to be 'living in his own little world', which supported by the furniture reflecting his wealth "heavily comfortable, but not cosy and homelike",and the consistent closing of doors to prevent information escaping the room and the 'sharp ring of a front door bell' in order to emphasise the significance of the outside world.

-The character is deceitful in appearance as his business like persona would likely lead the audience to believe that he is grounded in reality, however this is shattered by his over-confidence and the dramatic irony that erupts in Act One. His over-confidence and optimism of the future often gets the better of him, leading the audience to view him as a man that lacks correct judgement, and possibly foreshadows that will be wrong about other things.

- His arrogance and narcissism is frequently expressed, for instance he states that "we hard headed practical business men, we've had experience, we know" which sparks irony as Eric points that he is useless in a real crisis, in addition both him and his wife view themselves as 'pillars of the community', as upholders of the right values which the Inspector contradicts throughout the play.

- He is quite dismissive of negative traits of reality, for example he dismisses Eva Smith's description of death hastily "Yes, yes, horrible business..." presenting him in a childish manner, which is pointed out by Sheila as she realise the irony - "it's you two who are being childish, trying not to face the facts".
Slim analysis anybody?

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone doing To kill a mockingbird????
What actually IS the California Civil Code?
A book about Californian Law. Crooks isn't very likely to come up, but the main points about the code are that it is out of date, and the irony is that although Crooks knows his rights, he has none of them in reality, like when he tells C.W that she doesn't have any right to come into his room, and she threatens to have him killed.
anyone doing A View From The Bridge?
Which characters are most likely to come in OMAM tommorow?
I hope its Slim and not Curley!
Slim is likely to appear, eek.

Has Curley come up yet? I thought he did

Posted from TSR Mobile
What inspector calls Questions will come up?
Original post by unfathomableuser
What inspector calls Questions will come up?

Maybe Eric

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eva wouldn't come up would she? Is he the only character who haven't appeared in past questions?
Original post by unfathomableuser
Eva wouldn't come up would she? Is he the only character who haven't appeared in past questions?

And Mr Birling (I think)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending