The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by sweetiepie
thank goddddddddddd found someone else doing that awful book! i hate volpone i don't find it funny or amusing or anything its just really dull and such a chore :frown: we're comparing it to Blake but i have friends doing wife of bath and they say its pretty awful.

have you found anything of interest/relevance for volpone?

im comparing Volp and Blake too - comparing and contrasting isnt too bad as they both satirise greed hypocrisy etc -
Reply 61
is anyone doing antony and cleopatra as their stand alone text?
Original post by simstaaar
im comparing Volp and Blake too - comparing and contrasting isnt too bad as they both satirise greed hypocrisy etc -

struggling to get consistently above 20 in my practice essays to be honest. my arguments are really weak i just find this element of it really difficult. ive found out ive got band 5 on my coursework which is good but i really want an A and i just dont see it happening :frown:
Reply 63
is anyone doing antony and cleopatra as their stand alone text?

Yes! Literally not seen anyone else doing it!
Reply 64
Anyone doing Blake with Tis Pity? It's a nightmare to say the least.
Reply 65
Original post by abismall

What kind of points and such have you got for A&C, mains themes topics etc - anything would be helpful tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by sweetiepie
struggling to get consistently above 20 in my practice essays to be honest. my arguments are really weak i just find this element of it really difficult. ive found out ive got band 5 on my coursework which is good but i really want an A and i just dont see it happening :frown:

Well done on you're coursework! I feel a bit hypocritical giving an A grade student advice lol

Make sure you plan it all out, have sufficient quotes and context points such as Jonson trying to hide the fact he's catholic and blakes religious experiments like swedenborgism becomes evident from the human abstract as the upas tree was featured in a swedenborgist magazine not long before that poem was published

When it comes to actual points in the easy I always use volpone to prompt me (find it easier to work with this text) and then always being Blake into it even if it's opposing your argument because it shows knowledge but always return to your main point

I dunno if any of that helped but good luck and keep practising!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
What kind of points and such have you got for A&C, mains themes topics etc - anything would be helpful tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Themes are pretty much identity and metamorphosis- 'becoming' is used something like 9 times throughout the play. 1st scene- 'triple pillar of the world transformed into a strumpet's fool' By the end, Anthony has become Egyptian/ feminine (passionate, unpredictable, yields to his senses)- loads of 'heart' imagery in his death.In cleo's death she 'becomes' Roman (Rigid, unchangeable etc) 'I am marble constant'- she also becomes masculine- 'i am fire and air' in contrast to earlier scenes where she is compared to the Nile/water etc. Also important things like Enobarbus- he doesn't agree with conventional Roman view of Cleo therefore audience see his viewpoint as reliable.- barge scene etc. CONTEXT-Enobarbus doesn't feature much in Plutarch but Shakespeare uses him as a tool to show A's relationship with his men/ generous personality etc, and as an impartial view of Cleo.(he admires her in some ways but fears her in others) Shakespeare presents Cleo in sympathetic light- she gains nobility in her death as it's done in 'the high roman fashion' which is even praised by Caesar. Only a small bit of info but these are key points and hope it helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have some critics / AO3 quotes for 'Tis Pity She's A Whore?

I can barely find any for 'Tis Pity, even though I've got loads for my other texts...
Reply 69
Original post by garyheehee
Does anyone have some critics / AO3 quotes for 'Tis Pity She's A Whore?

I can barely find any for 'Tis Pity, even though I've got loads for my other texts...

Yep! Look up Larry S Champion, Susannah B Mintz, A.P Hogan- I think Iat have a couple more. I'll post a couple of quotes later

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep! Look up Larry S Champion, Susannah B Mintz, A.P Hogan- I think Iat have a couple more. I'll post a couple of quotes later

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thanks! How many critic quotes are you going to learn?
Any good AO3 critics for King Lear, The Rivals and TWOB?
Original post by HighwayUnicorn

For WoB, I've got a bunch:

Kemp Malone, Winny, Paul Strohm, Kittredge, Tony Slade though I've only got about one or two quotes for each
Reply 73
Original post by alicesimpson2
Is anyone doing tis pity and paradise lost book 9??? :frown:

Yes! do you need help?
Reply 74
Original post by HighwayUnicorn

For Lear: Jan Kott, A.C Bradley, Samuel Coleridge, George Orwell, Charles Dickens - a great book for the A03 is 'King Lear - a reader's guide to essential criticism' published by palgrave macmillan - just full of critics stuff
Reply 75
Original post by JackS94
Hi :smile:

Is anyone else taking the OCR A2 English Lit. exam this June?

What do you think is the best way to revise for your texts (whatever they are)? I find that OCR tends to use some less well known texts for their spec., so i thought it would be good to have a thread to talk about them to try and combat the lack of resources available :colondollar:

I'm doing King Lear for the Shakespeare section, and a comparison between Paradise Lost and The White Devil* for the other section.

*good example of less well known text :wink:

OMG I'm doing Paradise Lost and The White Devil too! How's it going?
Reply 76
Original post by JackS94
Hi :smile:

Is anyone else taking the OCR A2 English Lit. exam this June?

What do you think is the best way to revise for your texts (whatever they are)? I find that OCR tends to use some less well known texts for their spec., so i thought it would be good to have a thread to talk about them to try and combat the lack of resources available :colondollar:

I'm doing King Lear for the Shakespeare section, and a comparison between Paradise Lost and The White Devil* for the other section.

*good example of less well known text :wink:

Hi Im doing the same King lear, the white devil and Paradise lost book 9! I have no idea how to revise the white devil and paadise lost, they are so hard!! Any help would be great :smile: thanks
Reply 77
Original post by LiliaGD
Hi Im doing the same King lear, the white devil and Paradise lost book 9! I have no idea how to revise the white devil and paadise lost, they are so hard!! Any help would be great :smile: thanks

Same Here! YAY!

Currently, I use The White Devil as the base of the essay and then add Paradise Lost stuff in between if that makes sense?
I try to learn quotes suited around a theme and then try and get them to cover other themes so I am able to use more or less the same ones for any essay!
Hope that helps!
Reply 78

Hi

I am doing Antony and Cleopatra as the text which stands alone. I thought it was a sensible idea to revise the text under themes e.g betrayal, changing identity, love, honour, the presentation of egypt and rome, war/politics as well as quotes to suit these themes, context and critics.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by LiliaGD

Original post by Emmester
Same Here! YAY!

Currently, I use The White Devil as the base of the essay and then add Paradise Lost stuff in between if that makes sense?
I try to learn quotes suited around a theme and then try and get them to cover other themes so I am able to use more or less the same ones for any essay!
Hope that helps!

Original post by butchh
OMG I'm doing Paradise Lost and The White Devil too! How's it going?

Hey :smile: me and "dougturnsy" are talking about having a skype session to discuss PL and TWD - obviously chat only, no webcams, so if you're comfortable with that let me know, it could be useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending