The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unfathomableuser
What inspector calls Questions will come up?

I'm assuming Eric will appear in one of them. Looking through past papers, he's the only Birling who hasn't been mentioned. I hope the question is about him; I find him to be one of the easier characters.

EDIT: Eva Smith/Daisy Renton hasn't been mentioned either. The rest of the characters have been in past papers.
Original post by student.wizz

Important

6.5 Insightful exploration of a range of telling detail to support response to context(s)
What does it mean?
ASAP

Put more than one quote in for each paragraph and analyse it further:

E.g.

The mood is shown by the 'blue curtains' that hang in the bedroom. The word 'blue' suggests that the occupants of the room are feeling low and perhaps even slightly depressed. This is furthered by the point that outside the window is a 'drab city' implying that everything is the same and nothing changes.

Alternatively, the curtains could just be friggin blue but, you know, whatever.
Can someone help me on too what to write about Eric essay or something, would be greatly appreciatedddd
Please help and i will quote you and you're reputation will gain and many people don't know what it means.
Important
6.5 Insightful exploration of a range of telling detail to support response to context(s)
What does it mean?
ASAP
Original post by Olympiad
Slim analysis anybody?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Time to exercise my knowledge of Slim, hope he comes up in the exam

- Slim is presented to be Steinbeck's own example of ideal human nature, for instance he treats Crooks with respect despite the strong presence of racial prejudice within the era, and is the first to comfort George after Lennie's death - "come on, George, me an' you will go get a drink". In addition, he could also be interpreted as the characterization of Steinbeck, as he is clearly the most contrasting character within the ranch and is the socially aware and realist figure of the novel.

- There is various imagery relating to his perfection and how this is emphasised implicit relations to Jesus Christ, for instance his 'long, black, damp hair' is a comparison with Jesus, which also increases his importance as he is key to people and acts as a symbol of guidance. This is increasingly emphasised by the combing of his hair, which not only reflects his vanity and humanises him, but shows great care for others as his hair is a metaphor for people, and how he tries to look good for people as they always look to him for assurance.

- Slim is the giver of life and death, which is shown once he breeds and drowns several puppies, which also emphasises the theme of weakness within the novel, and doesn't argue against the killing of Candy's dog and Lennie.

- It is mentioned that he is 'capable of driving ten, sixteen and even twenty mules', which expresses his strength and importance on the ranch as he is able to carry out jobs, which was of great value during the Great Depression.

- The 'gravity of his manner' suggests that he may be a realist, which is enforced as he displays no desires or dreams throughout the novel. It also infers that bears positive attributes and intimacy to his presence, as gravity holds stars together (shows he is important , and stars are warm, bright subjects. This concept is supported by 'the table was brilliant with light' upon his entry into the bunkhouse.
Original post by LazyBazooka

- Slim is presented to be Steinbeck's own example of ideal human nature, for instance he treats Crooks with respect despite the strong presence of racial prejudice within the era, and is the first to comfort George after Lennie's death - "come on, George, me an' you will go get a drink". In addition, he could also be interpreted as the characterization of Steinbeck, as he is clearly the most contrasting character within the ranch and is the socially aware and realist figure of the novel.

- There is various imagery relating to his perfection and how this is emphasised implicit relations to Jesus Christ, for instance his 'long, black, damp hair' is a comparison with Jesus, which also increases his importance as he is key to people and acts as a symbol of guidance. This is increasingly emphasised by the combing of his hair, which not only reflects his vanity and humanises him, but shows great care for others as his hair is a metaphor for people, and how he tries to look good for people as they always look to him for assurance.

- Slim is the giver of life and death, which is shown once he breeds and drowns several puppies, which also emphasises the theme of weakness within the novel, and doesn't argue against the killing of Candy's dog and Lennie.

- It is mentioned that he is 'capable of driving ten, sixteen and even twenty mules', which expresses his strength and importance on the ranch as he is able to carry out jobs, which was of great value during the Great Depression.

- The 'gravity of his manner' suggests that he may be a realist, which is enforced as he displays no desires or dreams throughout the novel. It also infers that bears positive attributes and intimacy to his presence, as gravity holds stars together (shows he is important , and stars are warm, bright subjects. This concept is supported by 'the table was brilliant with light' upon his entry into the bunkhouse.

Please help and i will quote you and you're reputation will gain and many people don't know what it means.
Important
What does it mean?
ASAP
Important
What does it mean?
ASAP

You mention context and use examples and explain how they relate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
**** English, I'm gonna eat a Cherry tart.ImageUploadedByStudent Room1368991230.362390.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please do NOT write "his hair is a metaphor for people", the examiner will find that a bit...bizarre.
Original post by marie farie
Please do NOT write "his hair is a metaphor for people", the examiner will find that a bit...bizarre.

I thought bizarre was good? I got the impression as long as I can justify it, it counts as an answer.
I've posted this before but here's a last minute video for those doing Of Mice and Men :smile:
[video="youtube;D-bD2r_S8hM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-bD2r_S8hM[/video]

Good luck everyone! :biggrin:
Am I the only one that doesn't want Slim to come up? I don't know if I could talk about him enough... But thanks everyone for your resources/analyses here, I'm going to read them and try and learn some stuff.

How many paragraphs does everyone usually write for OMAM? Would you say 3 paragraphs for each part, so 6 in total, is about right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you're best
Hope you do well in tomorrow exam
Hi guys.. so I'm sitting this exam tomorrow on 'Lord of the Flies' and 'Of Mice and Men'..

I believe that during the main paragraphs of my essays I will succeed as I understand how to make a point, provide (embedded) quotations to back up said point, and then elaborate sophisticatedly to show my understanding. However, what I do struggle on is forming an opening paragraph and a concluding paragraph.

Can somebody inform me exactly what is an ideal opening paragraph? For example on Ralph/Roger in LOTF or Curley/Slim in OMAM, what would I write about that I wouldn't simply write about in a main paragraph? And what exactly shall I write in a concluding paragraph?

If someone could give me an example opening/concluding paragraph on any of the 4 characters above (or any other aspect of either novel) then that would be fantastic.

Thank you.
I thought bizarre was good? I got the impression as long as I can justify it, it counts as an answer.

I understand that but Steinbeck is a realist and such metaphors kind of contradict his point. I mean sure if you justify your interpretation then good for you but it still has to be plausible. I could say that by Curley's wife wearing "ostrich feathers" she is hiding her true self since ostriches bury their heads in the ground? I don't know...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you
Thank you're best

Thanks, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1397
Original post by BLTontour
I am also doing relationships. Do you have any idea what poems may feature?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Remember
the beginning of Of Mice And Men hasnt come up yet so that might come up to(the description of the salinas river)
Original post by Dougieowner
Am I the only one that doesn't want Slim to come up? I don't know if I could talk about him enough... But thanks everyone for your resources/analyses here, I'm going to read them and try and learn some stuff.

How many paragraphs does everyone usually write for OMAM? Would you say 3 paragraphs for each part, so 6 in total, is about right?

I'm exactly the same! So scared if it comes up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1399
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE for tomorrow!
Will hope it all goes well.

For an A* we need 49/68 according to january...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending