The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by westarmy
Y-gain and time base control...
However knowing the value of these settings are necessarily required in unit 1 exam, you should explain by saying 'adjust until a full cycle in shown on oscilloscope screen'

Sorr,y but you do need to know the values. I know the value for the time base, 2.5 ms/div, and for the Y-gain, I got 20 V/dis which is correct, but I can't quite remember how I got there...
Original post by yajman
Can someone please help me with question 3b? I got the right answers initially but when I go back and look over it, I can't quite figure out what I did. Any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.egsphysics.co.uk/files/a_level_past_papers/Jan04/AQA-PHA3W-W-QP-Jan04.pdf

Say that you will need to alter the scale axis. (x and the y-axis). Or, you need to decrease the frequency.
Reply 642
Original post by StalkeR47
Say that you will need to alter the scale axis. (x and the y-axis). Or, you need to decrease the frequency.

Hey mate. I know that the y-gain and the time base need to be adjusted, and know how to get the value for the time base. Initially, I managed to get the value for the y-gain too, but seem to have forgotten how to get there, if that makes any sense at all... :colondollar:
Reply 643
Original post by yajman
Sorr,y but you do need to know the values. I know the value for the time base, 2.5 ms/div, and for the Y-gain, I got 20 V/dis which is correct, but I can't quite remember how I got there...

The exact values aren't required if you look at June 2012 PHYA1 pastpaper thats probably the highest point on being asked about a oscilloscope.
The old spec may have asked for exact values on the oscilloscope setting, but trust me you won't get asked like the exact values etc...

This is the most you'll require on the exam for explaining how the oscilloscope works
This is the most you'll require on the exam for explaining how the oscilloscope works

Yup! there are the buttons/settings on the oscilloscope. The x and y-axis are time base and y-sensitivity.
Reply 645
The exact values aren't required if you look at June 2012 PHYA1 pastpaper thats probably the highest point on being asked about a oscilloscope.
The old spec may have asked for exact values on the oscilloscope setting, but trust me you won't get asked like the exact values etc...

I appreciate that, but I just need the reassurance that I can calculate it... Really sorry for being pedantic and a right nuisance, but it's frustrating having initially worked out, and not being able to retrace your steps. :frown:
Are many people resitting? I got a B last year.

How's everyone feeling?
Original post by yajman
I appreciate that, but I just need the reassurance that I can calculate it... Really sorry for being pedantic and a right nuisance, but it's frustrating having initially worked out, and not being able to retrace your steps. :frown:

Are you talking about Q3a or 3b?

Then again I'm a guy who loves his mechanics :colone:

That makes me more attracted to you than it should.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 649
Oh don't worry guys, I think I understand it! It says that the peak-to-peak has to occupy the fully screen. As there are 8 divisions, the peak will occupy 4 divisions, with 80v divided into these 4 divisions. Hence, there has to be 20V/cm. Thanks for your help. :biggrin: The very best of luck to you all for tomorrow.
Original post by yajman
Oh don't worry guys, I think I understand it! It says that the peak-to-peak has to occupy the fully screen. As there are 8 divisions, the peak will occupy 4 divisions, with 80v divided into these 4 divisions. Hence, there has to be 20V/cm. Thanks for your help. :biggrin: The very best of luck to you all for tomorrow.

Anyway, Very bad luck to you then! (Note: I think whenever someone says "good luck to you", I usually end up failing (literally) everything. So why not try bad luck? HAHA:smile:)
Reply 651
Original post by yajman

No problem haha :smile: it's fine :P

Original post by reemaisthinking
That makes me more attracted to you than it should.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really? :colone:
Would you like to balance my pivot by placing weights on either side? :ahee:
Reply 652
Anyway, Very bad luck to you then! (Note: I think whenever someone says "good luck to you", I usually end up failing (literally) everything. So why not try bad luck? HAHA:smile:)

Lol, ha ha! No problems mate... Shall I wish you bad luck then? :wink:
If they ask for the definition of a:

Antiparticle:

Is this just a corresponding particle to another particle which gas the same rest mass (energy) but different quantum properties such as charge or baryon number.

Exchange particle:

Is this a particle that mediates a force and transfers momentum to create other particles.

Are these definitions okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am tired now! I think I am done with physics unit 1. Does anyone need any particular help? (EXCEPT JUMMY20002013 hahahaa only joking:sheep:) ?
Original post by yajman
Lol, ha ha! No problems mate... Shall I wish you bad luck then? :wink:

of course!!! Thanks :hoppy:
Reply 656
Original post by Jimmy20002012

Antiparticle:

Is this just a corresponding particle to another particle which gas the same rest mass (energy) but different quantum properties such as charge or baryon number.

Exchange particle:

Is this a particle that mediates a force and transfers momentum to create other particles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! Look good to me.
Reply 657

Antiparticle:

Exchange particle:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Antiparticle = A particle with the same mass but opposite charge
Exchange particle = A particle that mediates a interaction and transfer charge...

Don't over complicate terms, just a simple conclusion is okay dude :smile:
However nothing against your definition terms they're excellent! But from my experience over complicating = No marks :frown:

Antiparticle:

Exchange particle:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should be perfect!:cool:
anyone care to explain 5 b) on this paper? http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-W-SQP-07.PDF

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending