The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Any questions? In Italian the subjunctive is used a lot more:smile:

Not at the moment! Yeah, I've seen the Italian subjunctive, I actually stuck to the examples that time! To be honest I didn't know where to use it so just stuck in a 'credo che sia...' every so often, it seemed so work :wink:
Original post by EmilyJayne14
Est-ce que quelqu'un sait je peux trouver un explication du subjonctif en Français? Ma professeure a dit que nous devons savoir seulement les examples mais moi, je veux apprendre à faire la grammaire! :smile:

Have you not done it in Italian? The subjunctive is quite basic in Italian, n'est-ce pas? :s

Non è molto difficile
compare
Non credo che sia molto difficile.

A lot of the rules are transferable between Italian and French in the subjunctive, but there are major exceptions!:

In Italian, you use the subjunctive after 'I think that', 'I don't think that', and 'Do you think that..?'

Credo che sia piccolo, Non credo che sia piccolo, Credi che sia piccolo?

In French it's the same, except for 'I think that', which is normal:

Je pense qu'il est petit BUT Je ne pense pas qu'il soit petit, est-ce que tu penses qu'il soit petit?

If in doubt, use this: http://french.about.com/library/verb/bl-subjunctivator.htm
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Schrecklich, oder?

Ja wohl :tongue:

(I'm not entirely sure about this phrase but from what I know I felt this was suitable situation, although it may give unintended connotations of submissiveness)
Schrecklich, oder?

(I'm not entirely sure about this phrase but from what I know I felt this was suitable situation, although it may give unintended connotations of submissiveness)
Not at the moment! Yeah, I've seen the Italian subjunctive, I actually stuck to the examples that time! To be honest I didn't know where to use it so just stuck in a 'credo che sia...' every so often, it seemed so work :wink:

Explained above ^ :
Original post by MangoFreak

It has what connotations?

Excuse me while I have a self-indulgent moment of panic about my ignorance of German. And while I check all German textbooks within a 5 metre radius.
Here is a bit more to twist your mind. The number 999,999 written out in Finnish :biggrin:

For reference, here is the number in English: Nine hundred ninety nine thousand, nice hundred ninety nine.

Yhdeksänsataa yhdeksänkymmentä yhdeksän tuhatta, yhdeksänsataa yhdeksänkymmentä yhdeksän.

:biggrin:
Reply 1267
Original post by constantmeowage
Have you not done it in Italian? The subjunctive is quite basic in Italian, n'est-ce pas? :s

Non è molto difficile
compare
Non credo che sia molto difficile.

A lot of the rules are transferable between Italian and French in the subjunctive, but there are major exceptions!:

In Italian, you use the subjunctive after 'I think that', 'I don't think that', and 'Do you think that..?'

Credo che sia piccolo, Non credo che sia piccolo, Credi che sia piccolo?

In French it's the same, except for 'I think that', which is normal:

Je pense qu'il est petit BUT Je ne pense pas qu'il soit petit, est-ce que tu penses qu'il soit petit?

If in doubt, use this: http://french.about.com/library/verb/bl-subjunctivator.htm

I have done it in Italian, but we just used set examples!! I was just wondering how to conjugate it and stuff in French. I'm also not really sure where to put it- I know what it's meant to express but I can never get my head around it!!
Why is it not: Je veux tu ailles avec moi...

J'espère que tu ailles avec moi...

Both are wants/desires but we don't use subjunctive for the former.
Original post by Floydacious
Here is a bit more to twist your mind. The number 999,999 written out in Finnish :biggrin:

For reference, here is the number in English: Nine hundred ninety nine thousand, nice hundred ninety nine.

Yhdeksänsataa yhdeksänkymmentä yhdeksän tuhatta, yhdeksänsataa yhdeksänkymmentä yhdeksän.

:biggrin:
I have just added Finnish to my list of Languages That Are Too Hard For Me To Learn

Languages on the list include Arabic, Chinese and Japanese.
I have just added Finnish to my list of Languages That Are Too Hard For Me To Learn

Languages on the list include Arabic, Chinese and Japanese.

I hate how those three are on my list:frown:

I know the Arabic alphabet though, and I can "read it"
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I hate how those three are on my list:frown:

I know the Arabic alphabet though, and I can "read it"

Est-ce que tu as l'intention de apprendre la langue arabe en été?
It has what connotations?

Excuse me while I have a self-indulgent moment of panic about my ignorance of German. And while I check all German textbooks within a 5 metre radius.

I heard somewhere (on a forum) that it had connotations of submissiveness, and was as such used in the military, etc. :tongue:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jawohl
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1915451

It might actually not have that meaning in two words :lol:
I have done it in Italian, but we just used set examples!! I was just wondering how to conjugate it and stuff in French. I'm also not really sure where to put it- I know what it's meant to express but I can never get my head around it!!

What do you mean? :smile:

To conjugate:

Take the ils form in the present tense (eg parlent), take off the -ent (parl), and add:

Je: -e
Tu: -es
Il: -e
Nous: -ions
Vous: -iez
Ils: -ent

So for ir verbs:

finir - finissent - finniss:

Je finisse
Tu finisses
Il finisse
Nous finissions
Vous finissiez
Ils finissent

:smile: Exceptions:

Être - sois, sois, soit, soyons, soyez, soient
Avoir - aie, aies, ait, ayons, ayez, aient
Faire - fasse, fasses, fasse, fassions, fassiez, fassent
Savoir - sache, saches, sache, sachions, sachiez, sachent
Pouvoir - puisse etc
Vouloir - veuille etc
Aller - aille etc

That's all I can remember atm...
I heard somewhere (on a forum) that it had connotations of submissiveness, and was as such used in the military, etc. :tongue:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jawohl
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1915451

It might actually not have that meaning in two words :lol:

Oh, ja!

When I watch Stargate SG1 dubbed into German, the military characters sometimes say Jawohl to orders they don't like, and have just protested to!
Est-ce que tu as l'intention de apprendre la langue arabe en été?

Non, il y aurait trop de(s) langues! :eek:
Oh, ja!

When I watch Stargate SG1 dubbed into German, the military characters sometimes say Jawohl to orders they don't like, and have just protested to!

ERMAHGERD I NEVER THOUGHT OF WATCHING SG1 IN GERMAN I LOVE THAT SHOW :gah:

(I literally have my Sky box set to record every episode aired daily on Sky1 :mmm:)
Reply 1277
Original post by constantmeowage
What do you mean? :smile:

To conjugate:

Take the ils form in the present tense (eg parlent), take off the -ent (parl), and add:

Je: -e
Tu: -es
Il: -e
Nous: -ions
Vous: -iez
Ils: -ent

So for ir verbs:

finir - finissent - finniss:

Je finisse
Tu finisses
Il finisse
Nous finissions
Vous finissiez
Ils finissent

:smile: Exceptions:

Être - sois, sois, soit, soyons, soyez, soient
Avoir - aie, aies, ait, ayons, ayez, aient
Faire - fasse, fasses, fasse, fassions, fassiez, fassent
Savoir - sache, saches, sache, sachions, sachiez, sachent
Pouvoir - puisse etc
Vouloir - veuille etc
Aller - aille etc

That's all I can remember atm...

Merci beaucoup!! I'm too tired to be dealing with grammar now, but I'll look at it tomorrow :smile:

Oh, and I just don't know when to use it- I couldn't even identify the subjunctive in English!! :s-smilie: I'll browse the Internet tomorrow and see if I can find anything that will finally allow me to wrap my head around it!
(edited 10 years ago)
ERMAHGERD I NEVER THOUGHT OF WATCHING SG1 IN GERMAN I LOVE THAT SHOW :gah:

(I literally have my Sky box set to record every episode aired daily on Sky1 :mmm:)
Viel zu wenige Staffeln werden auf Deutsch synchronisiert.

Aber einige Staffeln waren.

Look on Amazon.co.uk for boxsets that say they have English and German. And then look on Amazon.de for the remaining series.

EDIT Die Untertiteln auf Deutsch und die Synchronisation zusammenpassen überhaupt nichts!
(edited 10 years ago)
Viel zu wenige Staffeln werden auf Deutsch synchronisiert.

Aber einige Staffeln waren.

Look on Amazon.co.uk for boxsets that say they have English and German. And then look on Amazon.de for the remaining series.

Klasse :mmm:

Latest

Trending

Trending