The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

I have a question. When did River find out the Doctor's name? It's mentioned that she knows it in Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, and again in Name of the Doctor. We know it wasn't in the Wedding of River Song, because he said 'Look into my eye' instead. So when was it? Did they get properly married on some other unmentioned occasion?

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the John Hurt Doctor might be something more complicated than just the one who ended the Time War? That theory makes sense of course, but it seems so obvious, and it's not in any way a secret...
There's only one thing that bugs me, the prophecy states "On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a Question will be asked, a question that must never, ever be answered."

I somewhat agree that John Hurt is the 9th Doctor, however, that would make Matt Smith's Doctor the 12th making the prophecy null and void.
Unless The Doctor made the prophecy himself because he doesn't the 9th version of himself to be the Doctor at all. =l
Original post by Feefifofum
Yeah, there were loads of references to the fact that it wasn't 'real' River - it was the River that died in the Library and was saved to CAL. There was the stuff about River being dead, about the Doctor having made a backup, and so on.

We didn't actually see it in the mini-sode, but we saw the Doctor and River about to head there. It's hard to explain, you should just watch it! :p: It was in 'Last Night'.

Aha, I must have missed it then - I was too busy at the beginning trying to explain to my boyfriend who River was (he's only been watching since the snowmen at Christmas! :eek3:)

I'll google it :biggrin:
Original post by Scienceisgood
There's only one thing that bugs me, the prophecy states "On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a Question will be asked, a question that must never, ever be answered."

I somewhat agree that John Hurt is the 9th Doctor, however, that would make Matt Smith's Doctor the 12th making the prophecy null and void.
Unless The Doctor made the prophecy himself because he doesn't the 9th version of himself to be the Doctor at all. =l

No no - John Hurt's character is the same person, but isn't called 'The Doctor', because the Time Lords take their own names (eg. the conversation between the Master and the Doctor in the Sound of Drums episodes), and that version of him did something so terrible that he can't be called Doctor. So he's the same character, but not called the Doctor. That means that Matt Smith is the 12th incarnation, but only the 11th Doctor.

That prophecy has been bugging me too, but for a different reason. What was all that 'when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer' stuff about? I mean, the creature that answered the question was not living, it was the dead River, but the Doctor did fail to answer! And why could he not speak falsely? Was any of this explained at all and did I just miss it?
Original post by snowyowl
Aha, I must have missed it then - I was too busy at the beginning trying to explain to my boyfriend who River was (he's only been watching since the snowmen at Christmas! :eek3:)

I'll google it :biggrin:

Fair enough! :p:

After a quick Google it's actually 2 linked mini-sodes - First Night and Last Night.
Original post by Feefifofum
That prophecy has been bugging me too, but for a different reason. What was all that 'when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer' stuff about? I mean, the creature that answered the question was not living, it was the dead River, but the Doctor did fail to answer! And why could he not speak falsely? Was any of this explained at all and did I just miss it?

Actually, I think when the Doctor timelocked the Time War, he referred to himself as his actual name who did it, hence the reason why "The Doctor" was in that book Clara read and his real name only had a TINY reference. It was his actual name so he wouldn't have to carry the guilt of what he did with him whenever he was referred to as "The Doctor".

So, he didn't lie, he just didn't refer to himself as the The Doctor or even see himself as the Doctor during the events which timelocked the Time War hence why he failed to answer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just caught the last couple of minutes again.

Leaning more and more to the '9th incarnation' theory. Hurt is a great actor, and when he turns at the end of the episode he looks distressed/sad/traumatised rather than 'bad'.

Someone I know has suggested that the Doctor before Hartnell was a bit of a tyrant, and Hurt is the last embodiment of this man. The Doctor, first embodies in Hartnell, then travels the galaxy to remedy all the wrong he did.

But I'm not sure I buy this. 6 months is a long time to wait!
Original post by pinkpenguin
Just caught the last couple of minutes again.

Leaning more and more to the '9th incarnation' theory. Hurt is a great actor, and when he turns at the end of the episode he looks distressed/sad/traumatised rather than 'bad'.

Someone I know has suggested that the Doctor before Hartnell was a bit of a tyrant, and Hurt is the last embodiment of this man. The Doctor, first embodies in Hartnell, then travels the galaxy to remedy all the wrong he did.

But I'm not sure I buy this. 6 months is a long time to wait!

Hopefully it will be worth it, although, I REALLY wanted Jack to come back! DX
No Torchwood any more and he hasn't appeared in AGES!
Original post by chernid
For me, most of Series 6 and most of Series 7 I found quite bad. However, after "The Crimson Horror" I actually started to like it again, I don't know why.

Anyway, I thought the finale was incredible, and by the end I was actually really excited about the Anniversary special (as beforehand I was thinking of ways that Moffat could ruin David Tennant's Doctor for me).

I was surprised that Moffat didn't provide an anti-climax to the arch including the question and Trenzalore stuff, which I'm happy about, and the explanation and reasoning behind it was coherent and simple enough to get, while still leaving the audience to think about what happened etc.

I think I saw, in the huge TARDIS tomb, the crack in the window (that the Doctor caused early in the episode). Surely this means that for every other episode of Doctor Who in the future the TARDIS has to have a crack in the window?

Ah, no. Since the Doctor went into his own time stream he can manipulate events as such that he does not die on Trenzalore. The window can be repaired.
Hopefully it will be worth it, although, I REALLY wanted Jack to come back! DX
No Torchwood any more and he hasn't appeared in AGES!

I thought Torchwood was pretty awful.

I mean the biggest problem that show had was Jack was immortal, but apart from that it felt like scooby doo with guns and sex. A teenage boys idea of maturity.

After the mess that was miracle day I would be perfectly happy if they never made another torch wood story or Jack never had another Doctor Who appearance.
Original post by Politics Student
I thought Torchwood was pretty awful.

I mean the biggest problem that show had was Jack was immortal, but apart from that it felt like scooby doo with guns and sex. A teenage boys idea of maturity.

After the mess that was miracle day I would be perfectly happy if they never made another torch wood story or Jack never had another Doctor Who appearance.

To be honest after the abomination that was miracle day I'd be inclined to agree (though I did like most of the Torchwood episodes before that).

It's a shame really - Torchwood, as a concept, isn't bad I think.

Speculation:

Tennant returns in the 50th because he is the actual 11th.
Things that are bugging me about this episode:

- The origin of "run you clever boy and remember" makes no sense at all. It was original Clara's wifi password, but that doesn't explain why she decided to say it before walking into the time stream.
- Pretty much River's whole existence no longer makes sense. How long has she been a ghost that the Doctor has been able to see but for some reason has been ignoring her? How can she possibly be visible to the doctor anyway if her only connection was supposedly through Clara? And how could she activate the TARDIS when, again, she is only connected to Clara?
- The bit with Clara being there when the Doctor steals the TARDIS is really annoying. In The Doctor's Wife, the TARDIS says that she stole him, that she left her doors open on purpose. Having Clara there to tell him which one to steal completely destroys that bit of mythology.
Reply 1353
I just can't accept the fact that John Hurt is 9 or 8 or whatever. no. way no. That just seems waaaayyy to simple
Original post by snowyowl
As in... Screen episodes with him as the Valeyard? I don't think I'd like that.

Neither would I - it'd be heart-breaking to watch.

Unless he goes into some sort of multiple personality disorder phase - in which case that'd still be heart-breaking, but more surprising than just dark.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
And just re-watched the final scene there: I don't think the Hurt Doctor revealed his name - I agree with the interpretation that the Hurt Doctor did harm (hence breaking the promise of the Doctor; primum non nocere) - perhaps he's the one who ended the Time War (I'm hoping this; I'd love to hear more about what went down), perhaps it's something else we haven't heard of yet.

"He is my secret." - implies that it was something done in the Doctor's past, they also made a big deal of Eleven being the 11th Doctor in the dialogue, I think this gives the speculation about the Hurt Doctor's identity some weight.
"What I did, I did without choice [this is how Nine and Ten justified the bispecial genocide] ... In the name of peace, and sanity [this one doesn't fit the Time War for me. It doesn't seem like the event was about bringing peace - what was there left to bring peace to when both sides perished? However, I can see how it can be interpreted as applying to the Time War - bringing peace to the rest of the universe, who no longer had to face certain destruction]."
"But not in the name of the Doctor." - hence justifying Nine, Ten and Eleven feeling they are those respective numbers; the actions were so atrocious that he couldn't even be called the Doctor - he wasn't the Doctor. Not in their eyes.

I don't think they really made such a big deal about Matt being the 11th Doctor in the dialogue (assuming you mean when Clara said "11 faces, all of them are you. You're the 11th Doctor.").

Like you said, if Hurt's Doctor was in fact the Doctor in the time war, then he would undoubtedly be considered not the Doctor owing to the fact that he broke the promise of his name. I think Clara's statement "you're the 11th doctor" is just echoing this fact.

Could be wrong of course. Always a possibility Hurt's Doctor did something even worse that whatever he did during the time war.
Reply 1355
I loved last nights episode, haven't felt so hyped at an ending of a Dr Who finale since I was much younger.

I get the feeling that hurt is the Doctor in-between McGann and Eccleston. His outfit in leaked photos suggests this, and I sense that he was probably the Doctor that killed off all of the Timelords - something the Doctor knows he had to do, but something that torments him more than anything else and something he wants to hide away. That being said, that doesn't exactly make Hurt's doctor a "secret" if what he did was something as enormous as annihilating two of the largest empires in all of space and time. So maybe something else is on the cards.

Anyway I think if hurt is the "real" 9th Doctor then this maybe explains why none of the classic era Doctors have been asked to return, it probably wouldn't be appropriate for them to meet this future Doctor who ends up being a character who defines the ones that lived after them, having him know what he does before he does it, whilst being an interesting idea, would probably be a little messy and lessen its effect on Hurt's Dr and all that followed.
Original post by Watch Key Phone

- The origin of "run you clever boy and remember" makes no sense at all. It was original Clara's wifi password, but that doesn't explain why she decided to say it before walking into the time stream.

Clara said it when walking into the time stream because she thought she was going to die - she wanted the Doctor to run, to save himself, and she wanted him to remember her. Hence, she found the wifi mnemonic fitting. The fact she finds the phrase so significant also explains its earlier use in her other incarnation.
Soufflé girl says it because she's a fragment (i.e. after walking into the time stream), so still remembers it. Same with Victorian London.

-Pretty much River's whole existence no longer makes sense. How long has she been a ghost that the Doctor has been able to see but for some reason has been ignoring her? How can she possibly be visible to the doctor anyway if her only connection was supposedly through Clara? And how could she activate the TARDIS when, again, she is only connected to Clara?

The Doctor told her why he was ignoring her! A very heartstring tugging reason. <3

It's easily explained, though. River was wrong! Since The Doctor was always ignoring River, it makes sense that she thinks that he couldn't really see or hear her - hence why she thought she was only mentally linked with Clara.

- The bit with Clara being there when the Doctor steals the TARDIS is really annoying. In The Doctor's Wife, the TARDIS says that she stole him, that she left her doors open on purpose. Having Clara there to tell him which one to steal completely destroys that bit of mythology.

This is the first thing that came to mind for me. I loved everything about The Doctor's Wife and the Doctor/TARDIS relationship and want that to be preserved in my little fangirl heart forever, so I rationalised it away. Sexy said that she left herself unlocked (not that she left her doors open) so that she could steal the Doctor. The Doctor walks in - sees the doors open, so naturally goes to steal the opened one. Clara steps in to make sure he takes the correct TARDIS (who's unlocked, but the doors are closed). She even mentions the navigation system being a bit naff (reinforcing the TARDIS' personality - not always taking him where he wanted to go (hence it being dubbed malfunctional) but taking him where he needed to go), bringing it all full circle.

And hell, being able to make it look like JLC is talking to William Hartnell is cool as ****.
Original post by Watch Key Phone

- Pretty much River's whole existence no longer makes sense. How long has she been a ghost that the Doctor has been able to see but for some reason has been ignoring her? How can she possibly be visible to the doctor anyway if her only connection was supposedly through Clara? And how could she activate the TARDIS when, again, she is only connected to Clara?

I can't say much about your latter 2 points, but for the first one:

Before she walked into the time stream, Clara began to remember the times she saved the Doctor in his timeline - she specifically remembered the Asylum of the Daleks when she said "run you clever boy, and remember". Like in the Asylum episode, she wanted the Doctor to live on and remember her.
The whole Clara in his past thing reminded me a bit of this:

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Clara said it when walking into the time stream because she thought she was going to die - she wanted the Doctor to run, to save himself, and she wanted him to remember her. Hence, she found the wifi mnemonic fitting. The fact she finds the phrase so significant also explains its earlier use in her other incarnation.
Soufflé girl says it because she's a fragment (i.e. after walking into the time stream), so still remembers it. Same with Victorian London.

Original post by Kagutsuchi
I can't say much about your latter 2 points, but for the first one:

Before she walked into the time stream, Clara began to remember the times she saved the Doctor in his timeline - she specifically remembered the Asylum of the Daleks when she said "run you clever boy, and remember". Like in the Asylum episode, she wanted the Doctor to live on and remember her.

It just seems a bit odd that, at a major time like walking to her almost certain death to save her alien friend - she would then remember a random mnemonic of her wifi password and decide it made for fitting last words.

The Doctor told her why he was ignoring her! A very heartstring tugging reason. <3

It's easily explained, though. River was wrong! Since The Doctor was always ignoring River, it makes sense that she thinks that he couldn't really see or hear her - hence why she thought she was only mentally linked with Clara.

Bah, a silly reason. If the Doctor had been able to see River since she was put into the library (which was a really long time ago now), it seems ridiculous that he would have been completely ignoring her for that long. It makes no logical sense. :unimpressed:

OK, so River may have been wrong. But there's no explanation for how or why that could happen. River thought she was there because she was still connected to Clara from the conference call. But if that's not it, then how is she able to be there? She's a digital ghost, existing in a library somewhere completely distant in both time and space. And yet somehow she is able to just.. be there. And no-one questions it or wonders how it could be.

This is the first thing that came to mind for me. I loved everything about The Doctor's Wife and the Doctor/TARDIS relationship and want that to be preserved in my little fangirl heart forever, so I rationalised it away. Sexy said that she left herself unlocked (not that she left her doors open) so that she could steal the Doctor. The Doctor walks in - sees the doors open, so naturally goes to steal the opened one. Clara steps in to make sure he takes the correct TARDIS (who's unlocked, but the doors are closed). She even mentions the navigation system being a bit naff (reinforcing the TARDIS' personality - not always taking him where he wanted to go (hence it being dubbed malfunctional) but taking him where he needed to go), bringing it all full circle.

And hell, being able to make it look like JLC is talking to William Hartnell is cool as ****.

I still really don't like the fact that Clara interferes with something so central, though. It feels like it ruins the feeling of that meaningful first meeting, because they were actually 'set up' together by an external influence (Clara). And I'm not a classic Who purist or anything. I just don't like the way Moffat dives in and rips apart everything that's ever been done before him as if he has no obligation to at least preserve the show's continuity.

Quick Reply

Latest