The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L.Clarke
Hi, i'm starting in october this year (hopefully!)
just wanted some accommodation advice. I've heard william morris is best for partying, how true is this? I want to go to the halls with the best social life, and the most insane freshers fortnight!!
One more thing, sorry, my friend says Loughbotough is renowned for being full of attractive people, is this generally the case?
Thanks !! :smile:

None of the halls are 'best' for partying. It's all about how willing you are to get involved. The more you put in, the more you get out of it. William Morris tend to blow their own trumpet about partying most because they're currently (whilst Falk-Egg is being refurbished) the biggest hall and closest to the Union. I've lived for 2 years in Harry French and I personally think it's TOO much of a partying hall (although I do live in the committee block, who are noisy bastards). I would, however, avoid private halls if you want to party (Waterways, The Holt, The Cube, Hayes Apartments).

Also, Loughborough's infamous for sporty, good looking men, but also not-so-good-looking sporty women and female engineers. Not my personal opinion, however! Arty girls tend to be pretty, and they mainly live in Harry French!
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by thenickoftime
Also, Loughborough's infamous for sporty, good looking men, but also not-so-good-looking sporty women and female engineers. Not my personal opinion, however! Arty girls tend to be pretty, and they mainly live in Harry French!

You been walking round with your eyes closed? There's loads of hot girls around Lboro but admittedly most of them are art students, especially as you say in Harry French :smile:

That's not why I picked to live there, honest :colondollar:
Reply 1582
hey guys. I've recently firmed Loughborough and am looking at accommodation which is catered with en suite, and within 5 mins walk from the library the gym and the economics department. I'm looking at rigg rutt at the moment. Can anybody tell me how it compares to other accommodation in terms of friendliness, atmosphere and socials. Also I heard something about poor signal there???
Reply 1583
Original post by youndan
hey guys. I've recently firmed Loughborough and am looking at accommodation which is catered with en suite, and within 5 mins walk from the library the gym and the economics department. I'm looking at rigg rutt at the moment. Can anybody tell me how it compares to other accommodation in terms of friendliness, atmosphere and socials. Also I heard something about poor signal there???

Hey :biggrin:

I'm in Rigg-Rut, and it's pretty damn good :wink: Of course, I'm biased, but the atmosphere is brilliant and with us being so small, everyone seems to get along well and seems friendly.

The poor signal is correct, but most the time you won't be affected by it. As long as you're near a window (which you will be most the time, if you're in your room or the kitchen) signal is as normal. And you could always use something internet-based like WhatsApp on the wifi network if you want, for even better coverage...
(I'm on Talkmobile/Vodafone, btw)
Does anyone know how good Robert Bakewell and Hazlerigg -Rutland halls are, so far I like what I see but I'm concerned at this statement:

"Hall info: Due to the eco design of this new-build accommodation, there are ongoing problems with regards to mobile phone connection within the building. It may be advisable to make alternative contact arrangements in case of an emergency."

I'm also looking into William Morris. By the way I'm Nick, I'm coming up to study Air Transport Management..hopefully
Original post by nickpatel19
Does anyone know how good Robert Bakewell and Hazlerigg -Rutland halls are, so far I like what I see but I'm concerned at this statement:

"Hall info: Due to the eco design of this new-build accommodation, there are ongoing problems with regards to mobile phone connection within the building. It may be advisable to make alternative contact arrangements in case of an emergency."

I'm also looking into William Morris. By the way I'm Nick, I'm coming up to study Air Transport Management..hopefully

As the above post says, as long as your phone is near a window it's fine :smile: it's a little annoying and takes a bit of getting used to but I barely notice it anymore. Also, if you're lucky and get a top floor room, you'll get signal pretty much everywhere anyway.
Has anyone been able too look around the new Falk Egg yet as I quite like the look of the plans etc but just wondered whether they accurately reflect it?
Think I've chosen Telford as my back up to Bakewell/Rigg-Rut. Is it a hall which has a contract for the full year? (So I won't have to move out part way through for conference accommodation or something)
(edited 11 years ago)
How does parking work at Bill Mo? I've been told there is parking available for first year students for £300
Original post by nickpatel19
How does parking work at Bill Mo? I've been told there is parking available for first year students for £300

That's the case in HF so I'm guessing its the same for Bill Mo.
Reply 1590
Hi i know this thread is mainly for applicants but im currently a 1st year student at lboro living at the holt. In terms of my accommodation next year, i applied for a uni hall (as the holt will become private accom next year) and got offered bill mo. My problem is that now i'm not sure whether to live in bill mo next year or stay in my flat in the holt which is a good place and is quite a good room. My first choice hall when applying last year was bill mo so im kinda 50/50 on where to stay. Although i like to go out, i also dont want social events to be the focal point of my stay at uni, after all im here to learn and try and get a degree. So apologies for the long post but if anyone could give me some kind of advice on what to do that would be great :smile:
Original post by ashk9999
Hi i know this thread is mainly for applicants but im currently a 1st year student at lboro living at the holt. In terms of my accommodation next year, i applied for a uni hall (as the holt will become private accom next year) and got offered bill mo. My problem is that now i'm not sure whether to live in bill mo next year or stay in my flat in the holt which is a good place and is quite a good room. My first choice hall when applying last year was bill mo so im kinda 50/50 on where to stay. Although i like to go out, i also dont want social events to be the focal point of my stay at uni, after all im here to learn and try and get a degree. So apologies for the long post but if anyone could give me some kind of advice on what to do that would be great :smile:

It really depends on what you're wanting from your second year. As a 2nd year living in halls, I wouldn't recommend it. I currently live in the block where most of the hall committee lives and it gets LOUD (even during exam season). If you're put into a quiet returners' block, I think you'll be fine and you'll actually probably like it. Social events still happen, but it's not constant and you've got the regular hall activities free to for you to jump in to.

Personally, I cannot wait to get out of halls. It all gets a bit boring after christmas in the second year.

Original post by Joelcooper
Think I've chosen Telford as my back up to Bakewell/Rigg-Rut. Is it a hall which has a contract for the full year? (So I won't have to move out part way through for conference accommodation or something)

If you go on the accommodation website, look at your chosen halls and if the tenancy is 39 weeks or longer, you won't have to vacate between September and June. I think that only Royce has to move out at Easter nowadays.
Reply 1592
What's Cayley hall like?
Got my email to register for the accommodation application but I can't get onto the link to register. Anyone else had this problem?
What are people's thoughts on a finalist coming back to halls? Living with mates at the moment, in my second year. But i go on placement next year, so might be easier to get a place in halls for final year since i won't be in the country for my placement. Thinking Bakewell as well, close enough to the Library if i need books and the hall itself looks sick.
Original post by IanLim93
What are people's thoughts on a finalist coming back to halls? Living with mates at the moment, in my second year. But i go on placement next year, so might be easier to get a place in halls for final year since i won't be in the country for my placement. Thinking Bakewell as well, close enough to the Library if i need books and the hall itself looks sick.

Yep that's exactly what I did; loads of people do it, this year I'm in a flat of just finalists :smile:
Hi, I've firmed for English and Sports Science :biggrin: yay!
Beginning to look into accommodation now and was wondering what people thought of Elvin Richards? I'd go ensuite and catered, but if anyone knows of any alternatives that'd be great?!
Also, does being catered get annoying? and meals are pre-paid so do you miss many?!
thanks in advance
Hey,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but search function doesn't really come up with an answer... does anyone know (vaguely) the difference between 'Extra small', 'small' and 'single' at Harry French? I'm a postgrad, but I assume it's similar for everyone. Having lived out (at a different Uni) for the past two years I am a bit put off by both the price as well as the space of halls, but I guess it's still the better than living off-campus when I don't know anyone in town yet.

The website also says Telford is moving to a different location and now I am not sure if it will still be where it is on the map. Does that mean the rooms might be refurbished?

Thanks for helping me out :smile:
Reply 1598
Are all of the rooms large enough to store a bike in?
Original post by CF25
Are all of the rooms large enough to store a bike in?

Well, yes but I believe it's against all hall rules to do so.

Latest

Trending

Trending