The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

People who did IC did you do the first one about the ending or the second one about Eric

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did y'all find the exam ... ?:smile::tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1622
Original post by moodavies106
How did people find omam and ic

Posted from TSR Mobile

i found it alright i predicted Slim but i hate how you only have 1hr 30mins to complete the 3 questions i just about finished :frown:
OMAM was harddddd. Crucible was easy... I finished it in under 40 minutes which left me more time for OMAM. What did you guys write about for the context?
Original post by Olympiad
"Skim" as in the character but also the word LOOOL.

...Oh, I'm the only one who found that funny...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahah! No pun intended! :biggrin:
Original post by Peanut247
OMAM was harddddd. Crucible was easy... I finished it in under 40 minutes which left me more time for OMAM. What did you guys write about for the context?

Did you choose the slim question? What did you write about?
How much did everyone right for OMAM part B?
did any of you do the 2nd question for the crucible? if u did, what did u write?
Does anyone get that feeling in essay exams where you just continue to write anything and everything and after the exam you don't even remember what you wrote?
There was only 1 OMAM question...
For OMAM Part B, I wrote about Crooks, Curley and Curley's wife however, I rushed it
Original post by popburrow
For OMAM Part B, I wrote about Crooks, Curley and Curley's wife however, I rushed it

I wrote about Candy and how Slim says to shoot the dog, Curley and how he can't get canned, Crooks and Curley's wife. I didn't finish either.

Same I wrote about how the ranch is a microcosm of American society and represents how the weak and those on the fringes were vanquished by the strong ...
Reply 1633
For OMAM Part B, I wrote about how where they live shows importance. So, Curley and his wife live in their own house, most of workers live in bunkhouse and Crooks in his room. Easy to get context in there.
Reply 1634
On the whole I found it really easy and I actually tried to be really detailed all the way through, it's just the last question for OMAM I needed way more time! I only managed to fit in one big paragraph with different interpretations. I probably got a high B or low A... hopefully anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Farhan96
Same I wrote about how the ranch is a microcosm of American society and represents how the weak and those on the fringes were vanquished by the strong ...

Argh- at the beginning of the exam, I thought to myself- mention the word 'microcosm' but now I've realised I completely forgot to mention it. Hopefully, not too important. :redface:

But rant over, for Of Mice and Men, I talked about how he treats Curley's wife and Crooks with respect and that he is stronger than Curley who is intimidated by him. I also talked about Slim being God-like as he has control over life and death and is just and fair since he offers to help both Curley and Lennie after the fight. Is this the kind of thing I was supposed to talk about? :smile:

Also, I talked more on part a of the question and less on part b...
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes, I agree with you. I found OMAM straightforward. What language devices etc. did you spot? There was hyperbole, that's for sure!

The 'An Inspector Calls' question was tricky. I discussed the main feature, but what interpretations could be made? And did you focus on the ending only?

For a? I didn't talk about devices as it just asked how Slim is presented not what methods used. So I mentioned his importance, benevolence, mysterious nature and power.

I talked about how rest of play linked to ending as well. So mentioned sympathetic and empathc response towards Sheila and Eric, sense of justice to Mr and Mrs Birling and Priestley's condemnation of capitalism
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1637
I wrote about Crooks, Lennie and Candy and how they are not treated equally and are not important due to their faults. Then stated how Curley and Slim were the most important and have examples of imperatives, but how Curley and Slim used their importance in a different way and how Slim was an ideology of how society should be, but isn't.

I predicted Slim, was fairly obvious it would be about him. Felt like I made to many points though and didn't go into enough detail. I did a lot more on part b in Of Mice and Men than part a.

The Crucible was better, glad Elizabeth came up but I focused to much on act 2 rather than the end.

B/C I reckon.
Reply 1638
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries will be like?
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Argh- at the beginning of the exam, I thought to myself- mention the word 'microcosm' but now I've realised I completely forgot to mention it. Hopefully, not too important. :redface:

But rant over, for Of Mice and Men, I talked about how he treats Curley's wife and Crooks with respect and that he is stronger than Curley who is intimidated by him. I also talked about Slim being God-like as he has control over life and death and is just and fair since he offers to help both Curley and Lennie after the fight. Is this the kind of thing I was supposed to talk about? :smile:

Also, I talked more on part a of the question and less on part b...

Sounds really good tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending