The Student Room Group

Government and Politics - Edexcel - Unit 2 - Revision Notes

Hi everyone. I've created these revision notes for the Govt.&Pol Unit 2 Edexcel exam on the 23rd of May 2013. I was hoping that if you use the notes for your revision you could tell me if you think I'm missing anything. My notes for this unit seem smaller than my notes for Unit 1. Please mention anything thats missing!!

Scroll to see replies

I've also got notes for Govt.&Pol Unit 1 and History for Germany and USA (Edexcel)
Reply 3
hey, im a gov and pol student too, your notes are really good but they are missing a bit. I used the excel UK government and politics (HODDER education) book to compare your notes, I would advise getting it, its really good. Constitution is missing: coalition proposals to reform, evaluation of reforming. Parliament: committees, evaluation of house of commons and Lord. Prime ministerial and cabinet: impact of coalition government. Judges and civil liberties: judicial review, civil liberties and individual rights
Reply 4
Original post by eliz96
hey, im a gov and pol student too, your notes are really good but they are missing a bit. I used the excel UK government and politics (HODDER education) book to compare your notes, I would advise getting it, its really good. Constitution is missing: coalition proposals to reform, evaluation of reforming. Parliament: committees, evaluation of house of commons and Lord. Prime ministerial and cabinet: impact of coalition government. Judges and civil liberties: judicial review, civil liberties and individual rights

Hey are you doing unit 1 and unit 2?

If so i was wondering if i could ask something?
Original post by eliz96

Thanks so much for the response. I'll take a good look at the topics you've mentioned. I think I may even have the book your talking about. I use this to get my notes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Government-Politics-AS-As/dp/1444178806/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1365725080&sr=8-4&keywords=hodder+education+government+and+politics

I find in some topics the detail it gives is too comprehensive, whereas in others it does not give enough detail.

Do you think the amount of stuff we have to know for Unit 2 is not as much for Unit 1, because my notes for Unit 2 contains a lot less words?! Just something I've noticed! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Vilhelmschofield
Thanks so much for the response. I'll take a good look at the topics you've mentioned. I think I may even have the book your talking about. I use this to get my notes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Government-Politics-AS-As/dp/1444178806/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1365725080&sr=8-4&keywords=hodder+education+government+and+politics

I find in some topics the detail it gives is too comprehensive, whereas in others it does not give enough detail.

Do you think the amount of stuff we have to know for Unit 2 is not as much for Unit 1, because my notes for Unit 2 contains a lot less words?! Just something I've noticed! :smile:

I have that book. Don't think it's that good. Waffles so much.
Reply 7
Original post by sammyvine
Hey are you doing unit 1 and unit 2?

If so i was wondering if i could ask something?

yes I am doing both units. Like you said I think there much more to learn in unit 1, but think unit 2 requires more facts. I have that text book also and it waffles way too much. A past student at my school gave me the one I mentioned and he managed to get an A :-)
Reply 8
Original post by eliz96
yes I am doing both units. Like you said I think there much more to learn in unit 1, but think unit 2 requires more facts. I have that text book also and it waffles way too much. A past student at my school gave me the one I mentioned and he managed to get an A :-)

Which one did you mention sorry

Exam is creeping up and i know nothing:frown:
Original post by Vilhelmschofield
Hi everyone. I've created these revision notes for the Govt.&Pol Unit 2 Edexcel exam on the 23rd of May 2013. I was hoping that if you use the notes for your revision you could tell me if you think I'm missing anything. My notes for this unit seem smaller than my notes for Unit 1. Please mention anything thats missing!!

Could i have a look at your unit 1 notes? the unit 2 ones are really good btw :biggrin:
Reply 10
does anyone know what the 40 mark january questions were ? And what question is likely to come up.... Codified constitutions ... ??
Reply 11
Yeah does anybody have any knowledge of the questions that came up in January?
Original post by pellish
Yeah does anybody have any knowledge of the questions that came up in January?

I'll get them for you in a second...
1 - Prime Minister's Power
(a) With reference to the source, describe how the introduction of Fixed-Term Parliaments affect PM power
(b) With Reference to the source, and your own knowledge, explain three reforms, other than fixed-term parliaments,which could limit the powers of the prime minister.
(c) To what extent have UK prime ministers become more presidential?

2 - Parliament
(a) With reference to the source, outline two criticms of David Camerons appointments to the HoL
(b) With reference to the source and your own knowledge, explain three considerations that are taken into account when appointing Life Peers
(c) Assess the arguments in favour of a largely or wholly elected second chamber

3 - Constitution
To what extent have constitutional reforms introduced since 1997 made the UK more democratic?

4 - In what ways, and to what extent, is the Human Rights Act controversial?
Original post by Afcwimbledon2
1 - Prime Minister's Power
(a) With reference to the source, describe how the introduction of Fixed-Term Parliaments affect PM power
(b) With Reference to the source, and your own knowledge, explain three reforms, other than fixed-term parliaments,which could limit the powers of the prime minister.
(c) To what extent have UK prime ministers become more presidential?

2 - Parliament
(a) With reference to the source, outline two criticms of David Camerons appointments to the HoL
(b) With reference to the source and your own knowledge, explain three considerations that are taken into account when appointing Life Peers
(c) Assess the arguments in favour of a largely or wholly elected second chamber

3 - Constitution
To what extent have constitutional reforms introduced since 1997 made the UK more democratic?

4 - In what ways, and to what extent, is the Human Rights Act controversial?

What topics do you think are likely to come up in the exam on Thursday?
I'm an A2 student and I'm resitting, I did that exam the January 2013 one and got a B, I need an A in this exam.

I'm thinking Judiciary and Constitution for Section A, and Constitution and Prime Minister and Cabinet for Section B. But I'm not too sure, so i'm trying to revise 3 topics, Judiciary, Constitutions and Prime Minister and Cabinet.
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
What topics do you think are likely to come up in the exam on Thursday?
I'm an A2 student and I'm resitting, I did that exam the January 2013 one and got a B, I need an A in this exam.

I'm thinking Judiciary and Constitution for Section A, and Constitution and Prime Minister and Cabinet for Section B. But I'm not too sure, so i'm trying to revise 3 topics, Judiciary, Constitutions and Prime Minister and Cabinet.

It could be anything - they are known to repeat exams across exams.

I've just finished my notes for the exam. Its attached
It could be anything - they are known to repeat exams across exams.

I've just finished my notes for the exam. Its attached

Hmm...

Thanks so much for posting those notes! They are really helpful, I'll use them to supplement mine. :biggrin:
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
Hmm...

Thanks so much for posting those notes! They are really helpful, I'll use them to supplement mine. :biggrin:

No Problem - is there anything on there you think I may have missed/could have added etc etc?
Reply 18
Hey guys. I've gone through the politics exam papers from 2009-2013(jan) and all of them have Prime Minister+Cabinet on one section, and Judiciary on the other section (they're separate).

Since I'm running out of time and the exam is tomorrow, I'm thinking to just study these two topics and hope for the best. What do you think?
Reply 19
No Problem - is there anything on there you think I may have missed/could have added etc etc?

You missed Judiciary

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending