The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by yodawg321
Last question= Rubber?

i said it was polymeric
for the young modulus did anyone else get E= stress/(percentage strain/100) ? and omg I ran out of time so I skipped the 1 mark questions near the end to do the graph/ aeroplane question.
Reply 422
Last question= Rubber?

Yeah, that's the type of material I thought :tongue:
Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low :/ So many easy marks lost *facepalm*
Reply 424
Was the GPE lost doing work against the drag force ?
Reply 425
Original post by MikeyP96
i said it was polymeric

Yeah, that, but is rubber an example? Cause I just mentioned it was :tongue:
i said it was polymeric

Polymeric changes shape on load. Don't think engineers will want the aeroplane tires changing shape :s
Reply 427
i said it was polymeric

I said that too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -bethan-
Yeah, that, but is rubber an example? Cause I just mentioned it was :tongue:

Correct answer was polymeric, you should get marks for saying rubber. Welp, I'm off home now guys, be on later maybe! Hope everyone did as good as they hoped!
Last question= Rubber?

I put the material is elastic because it returns to its original shape after the load is removed. It is suitable for plane tires??? because the tires won't be permanently deformed after each landing. The material is rubber - I don't know if that's worth 3 marks or not
Polymeric changes shape on load. Don't think engineers will want the aeroplane tires changing shape :s

The whole point is that the tyres squash a bit and then stretch again on impact, otherwise it would be like having tyres made of concrete...they'd just break
Reply 431
Original post by OllieGCSEs
The whole point is that the tyres squash a bit and then stretch again on impact, otherwise it would be like having tyres made of concrete...they'd just break

Exactly what I thought :yep:
Original post by OllieGCSEs

My bad I meant Polythene
rubber is polymeric and it returns to it's original shape after the load is removed :smile:
Reply 434

rubber is polymeric though, and the graph definately showed a polymeric material, i said that it wouldnt plastically deform from the weight of the plane, because if you use a brittle material it will break and ductile tyres would get squashed and not be wheel shaped anymore
rubber is polymeric though, and the graph definately showed a polymeric material, i said that it wouldnt plastically deform from the weight of the plane, because if you use a brittle material it will break and ductile tyres would get squashed and not be wheel shaped anymore

Yeah I made a mistake thought the other dude said polythene
Reply 436
Dont the tires absorb energy as the areas under the unloading and loading curve are different ?
Reply 437
There was a question in the springs question about the mass. I can't remember how it was exactly worded
What did everyone put down foe it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joeyoh9292
Correct answer was polymeric, you should get marks for saying rubber. Welp, I'm off home now guys, be on later maybe! Hope everyone did as good as they hoped!

The graph showed Rubber. If you put down Polymeric only that could mean rubber or polythene?!?
Reply 439
Original post by ss2012
There was a question in the springs question about the mass. I can't remember how it was exactly worded
What did everyone put down foe it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i put a=f/m so if the mass increases the acceleration decreases

Latest

Trending

Trending