The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

I couldn't find a thread about this exam. Not many people are doing it, but some colleges do Unit 2 first in Jan.

Any preparation tips?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm resitting this one from last year :P Watched!
Reply 2
Hey guys, thanks for making this thread. I looked for one too.
I'm sitting this exam because my centre switched the modules (U2 Jan, U1 May).

Revision seems to have been going really well so far for this module. It feels much easier than Unit 2, but I have more exams in May, so it's a close one...

For physics, the method I like (which earned me a decent A in January :P) involves breaking my revision down into three stages:

1: Reading the book, start to finish (for unit 1!) and writing notes as I go (as well as my in-class notes, which I also read through at the same time). When I reach some "pink" (or red, whatever :P) questions at the end of each sub-chapter, I do them, and then mark all questions from a full chapter at once when I reach the end.
(So this step goes: read-test-read-test-read-test... etc. NOT just read-read-read-test)

2: Next, I'll go through and do every exam-style, end-of chapter question (and I mean ALL of them :P). These are really useful, because AQA have full examiner's notes on every single one; pretty much telling you how to do them.

3: Finally, I do all the available past papers (again, I mean every single one! Twice each, if I there's time! :biggrin:), mark them strictly with the mark scheme, and then make notes on where I screwed up (I put the screw-ups on post-its on the front of each paper, too). Looking back to Unit 2, I can spot from my post-its a theme of me being poor at F=K⌂L questions, and yup, that's where I lost the marks in the exam!

(4: Rinse and repeat, if necessary!)

This is just how I revise, though, so I'd like to hear your methods too!

By the way, I've been working on a memory course for this unit too. I've found it pretty useful so far (given the amount of definitions and stuff you just have to remember). Let me know if it's any good, and do feel free to spot any errors!
http://www.memrise.com/course/83265/as-aqa-physics-a/

Good luck!
C.
Reply 3
Does anyone have a link to the jan 2013 Unit 1 physics exam ? AQA
Reply 4
Original post by Usaldo
Does anyone have a link to the jan 2013 Unit 1 physics exam ? AQA

After your mock you can ask your school for it. I'm sure they would give it to you.
Have any of you done the unit 3x empa about waves?
Reply 6
I'm so much better at electricity then particles!
Reply 7
Hi, I recently set up a revision website. So far AQA Unit 1 is the only module I have for Physics but I hope to add unit 2 notes soon, it would be great if you could check it out! http://www.mattsrevision.com/particles-quantum-phenomena-and-electricity/
Reply 8
Original post by mattj94
Hi, I recently set up a revision website. So far AQA Unit 1 is the only module I have for Physics but I hope to add unit 2 notes soon, it would be great if you could check it out! http://www.mattsrevision.com/particles-quantum-phenomena-and-electricity/

Wow brilliant, thanks ! :biggrin:

& nice website :tongue:
Original post by pilotluke1
I'm so much better at electricity then particles!

That's awesome! :biggrin:

You help me with electricity and I will help you with particles. I just cant get my head around electricity at times. :smile:
By any chance might anyone have a copy which they can upload of the January 2013 Unit 1 Physics paper?
Hey guys, I'm doing this paper too :smile: We do both unit 1 and 2 in the summer at our school :/

Particle physics I've got the hang off, but electricity just has pointless and confusing content!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gonna go mad with revision for this :proud:
Reply 13
Original post by posthumus
Wow brilliant, thanks ! :biggrin:

& nice website :tongue:

Thanks!
Original post by mattj94

These were just AMAZING! :biggrin:
I can't thank you enough. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
These were just AMAZING! :biggrin:
I can't thank you enough. :smile:

Its not a problem. If I can, I shall write some Unit 2 notes before the exam too. I will be adding content to all the subjects once my exams are complete.

Matt
Original post by mattj94
Its not a problem. If I can, I shall write some Unit 2 notes before the exam too. I will be adding content to all the subjects once my exams are complete.

Matt

That would be excellent if you could. Seriously, you're a life-saver! My physics teachers are rubbish and I'm just relying on past papers, the Nelson Thrones book and your notes are helping me loads. :smile:
I'm also using your chemistry unit 1 notes, they are very clear and concise.
:smile:
Original post by mattj94

Haha Wow! That's amazing, so useful, thanks a lot :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 18
Jan13 paper
Original post by GeneralOJB
Jan13 paper

Do you have the mark scheme for this paper, by any chance? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending