The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by IanDangerously
Historically over the whole history of the game there are only three clubs that are undisputedly big clubs. Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal in that order. Villa are the biggest club in the midlands, Leeds in Yorkshire and Sunderland in the North East etc, but they're regionally big. Nationally they're respectable size but a level below the largest clubs.

In the Premier League, Spurs are one of the biggest clubs and Aston Villa are not. The top 5 teams in the league currently are the "big" teams now, although out of the emerging ones Spurs are certainly a more respectable and credible club than Chelsea and Manchester City. I don't mind Spurs, they're a proper football club surrounded by proper football people unlike the ****ing circus going on at some of the other Premier League clubs.

What are you on about?
You can't be ****ing serious.
:lolwut:
Historically over the whole history of the game there are only three clubs that are undisputedly big clubs. Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal in that order. Villa are the biggest club in the midlands, Leeds in Yorkshire and Sunderland in the North East etc, but they're regionally big. Nationally they're respectable size but a level below the largest clubs.

No club that has won the European Cup is only "regionally" big.

Villa are a bigger club than Spurs.
Original post by Wilfred Little
No club that has won the European Cup is only "regionally" big.

Villa are a bigger club than Spurs.

Nottingham Forest have won it as well but they couldn't be considered a big club by the standards of the big 3.
Nottingham Forest have won it as well but they couldn't be considered a big club by the standards of the big 3.

You're usually spot on with everything you say but I think you've called it wrong here.

Villa are big nationally. There is absolutely no doubt about that. United, the bin dippers and Arsenal are not the only three clubs that are big in the country.

Were you lot only big regionally up until 1993? Of course not.
Reply 24
Original post by TheMagicRat
Why do people get so wound up about which club is biggest? Who cares?

Whenever this kind of argument comes up people bark on about the past. Once again, who cares? I only care about one thing; this season.

Hmm.. you support a club with no history? It's bad to be proud of a club's history?
Reply 25
Original post by TM94
What are you on about?
You can't be ****ing serious.
:lolwut:

hmm... how is newcastle bigger? more fans? more tradition?

I'd say personally they were of equal size.
No. Just no.
Original post by wortandbeer
hmm... how is newcastle bigger? more fans? more tradition?

I'd say personally they were of equal size.

Sunderland have won two more leagues, Newcastle have won four more FA Cups.

I think you'd have to say Newcastle are the bigger club to be honest.
Hmm.. you support a club with no history? It's bad to be proud of a club's history?

It doesn't matter who I support and, no, I'm not saying that you shouldn't be proud of a club's past but arguing over who is the "biggest" is pathetic. It reeks of trying to make up for something currently lacking.

There are plenty of teams below Yeovil that are "bigger" but Yeovil are the ones playing in the Championship next season, so who cares about whether those other teams are "bigger" when Yeovil are better.

Spurs a better than Villa. That's it. End of discussion. I couldn't give a damn who's bigger.
Original post by TheMagicRat
It doesn't matter who I support and, no, I'm not saying that you shouldn't be proud of a club's past but arguing over who is the "biggest" is pathetic. It reeks of trying to make up for something currently lacking.

There are plenty of teams below Yeovil that are "bigger" but Yeovil are the ones playing in the Championship next season, so who cares about whether those other teams are "bigger" when Yeovil are better.

Spurs a better than Villa. That's it. End of discussion. I couldn't give a damn who's bigger.

The aim in football is to become a big club. Nothing wrong with reminding people of the fact that you are a big club, it's a legitimate point of discussion for a football fan.
Spurs are the Bigger Club by far within Birmingham the City itself it is mainly Birmingham City Fans who never show up to matches. Where as the Villa take areas such as Litchfield, Warwickshire and Sutton Coldfield. And live all over the Midlands including a few small areas in Birmingham such as Erdington and Kings Norton. There fans are Local glory hunters if there was no such thing as Aston Villa they would support Manchester Utd or Liverpool
That whole post is bizarre and doesn't make sense.

& Sutton Coldfield is in the actual city of Birmingham. It has been since the 70s. Get your facts straight ffs.
If You are a villa fan your opinion is insignificant
Reply 33
These are reasons why:

- Spurs has no European Cup
- Both clubs' average attendances are similar
- Villa has won more trophies overall
- Villa is the biggest club by far in its region. Spurs cannot say that, since their enemy has won more trophies than them and has a larger global brand/name and Chelsea even has more trophies then they do (plus a global brand/name and a Champions League)

I contend Arsenal maybe a larger club than Villa and probably the next biggest club after United and Liverpool, but surely Villa is bigger than Spurs.

I have to agree with you Villa are bigger than Spurs mainly due to European success and the fact that Villa are the biggest club in the region whereas Spurs live in Arsenals shadows

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saj5677
I have to agree with you Villa are bigger than Spurs mainly due to European success and the fact that Villa are the biggest club in the region whereas Spurs live in Arsenals shadows

Posted from TSR Mobile

And the Biggest deluded ***** in the region
Original post by DarrenBCFC
If You are a villa fan your opinion is insignificant

It's not an opinion, it's a cold, hard fact that Sutton Coldfield is in the city of Birmingham and has been for decades, and you are just blatantly lying when you say that it isn't.
Loving the above.

Villa are a well-supported club. So are we. In all honesty, I couldn't care less who is 'bigger'.
Reply 37
I really couldn't care less. Most importantly if both clubs wanted a player 99 times out of 100 he's picking tottenham and villa are **** quite frankly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally I agree although both big clubs with illustrative histories. Up to recently very similar trajectories
Reply 39
If we are going to bring club history into this I really think it's the post war record that should only be counted.

Going back further is silly.

Spurs are one of the twenty richest clubs in the world I believe and they will cement their place in that list when they finish building their much overdue brilliant new stadium.

Latest