The Student Room Group

BUSS1 May 20th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by midnightice
Did anyone else notice that you couldn't define a term in the last question? I defined 'decision', not taking any chances!

Yes I did, so I just did not define anything. When looking through previous past papers I noticed that sometimes especially on the last question there is nothing to define!
Reply 181
Did anyone else notice that you couldn't define a term in the last question? I defined 'decision', not taking any chances!

Yeah dw, you didn't need to define anything for that last one?
Original post by Frostyjoe
I honestly can't remember it was the last one that was bad. What did you do for the trademark one?

Defined trademark haha- Just that it might add value to the product so they can differentiate themselves from competitors and provide a USP and charge a higher price, increasing profit margins, something along those lines ...
Reply 183
Original post by Coldeversince
I did exactly the same way, think i got like 110,400 or something around that, everybody was telling me it's wrong etc but if you look at a break even chart then you can use a bit of common sense to use that formula, the fixed costs divided by the CPU was just a long way to do it XD

I got the 101-something answer. I can't really remember though i might have done something different... all v confusing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samboJ
I said it differentiates itself from the competition and without it in the case study it said 'nobody would buy their products'. So therefore I said that demand for gluten free goods appears to be price inelastic meaning they can charge high prices and increase upon their £300,000 expected revenue. :smile:

Oh I didn't do any of that. I just defined it and then said 3 advantages that I learn't from the book.
Reply 185
On average, 50/51 would be 80/80.

The paper was out of 60? 80/80 ums? So I need roughly 50/60 for 100% UMS?
these were all the questions

define demand (2marks)
define total contribution (2marks)
why he would want to use a trademark (6marks)
calculate breakeven output (5marks)
why he used stratified sampling (6marks)
problems in setting an accurate income budget (10marks)
was he right to choose the private limited company over being a sole trader (or words to that effect) (15marks)
was he right to choose option a over option b (or words to that effect) (15marks)

I thought the weird one one was the stratified sampling one. final 2 questions also overlapped slightly.

now for buss2!
Wow your answer sounds amazing. I said that it was a recognised symbol by those who were looking for gluten free products and therefore they wouldd be likely to trust that it was gluten free and purchase it therefore leading to increased revenue. I was thinking if there was not the logo then they might be unsure about whether to purchase the product. I don't think it is very good though/ ;/
Original post by samboJ

yea the average is between 48-52 for full UMS. the highest i've ever seen is 53/60 for full ums.
Reply 189
Oh I didn't do any of that. I just defined it and then said 3 advantages that I learn't from the book.

I defined it too. What were the 3 advantages? I hadn't got a clue what the book said. I just applied to the case study.
Original post by samboJ

Yeah. The lowest it has been was 47 and the highest was 55. I reckon 49/60 will be 100%.
Reply 191
Original post by Supernatural17
Wow your answer sounds amazing. I said that it was a recognised symbol by those who were looking for gluten free products and therefore they wouldd be likely to trust that it was gluten free and purchase it therefore leading to increased revenue. I was thinking if there was not the logo then they might be unsure about whether to purchase the product. I don't think it is very good though/ ;/

That's good too! Roughly the same as mine without the elasticity of demand which is Economics anyway. But sometimes they include elasticity in the business case studies. I don't know if it's even in the syllabus but I've seen it in the cases before so I thought I'd throw it in there when I was checking my work.
Reply 192
Yeah. The lowest it has been was 47 and the highest was 55. I reckon 49/60 will be 100%.

Thanks for the information! :cool:
Original post by samboJ
I defined it too. What were the 3 advantages? I hadn't got a clue what the book said. I just applied to the case study.

Well I said basically that:

1. It can act as a USP.
2. Brand image makes it easier to launch new products.
3. The brand image means that they can increase prices above average.
Reply 194

Haha I noticed that - option B meant they would be using the internet so I just defined electronic market. Regardless of whether or not it did or didn't have a definition atleast it should get us some knowledge marks :smile:
Does it really matter about 100UMS as long as you get an A?
Reply 196
I CAN'T BELIEVE I SCREWED UP THE BREAK EVEN! I knew the formula but for some reason decided to do it differently in the exam because the break even formula came out as a decimal number..... So I did total costs/ selling price =110,400 -.-
Original post by samboJ
That's good too! Roughly the same as mine without the elasticity of demand which is Economics anyway. But sometimes they include elasticity in the business case studies. I don't know if it's even in the syllabus but I've seen it in the cases before so I thought I'd throw it in there when I was checking my work.

That was good I always remember elasticity for the second module rather than the first. What did you put for the stratified sampling and this sounds stupid but we all know how vital one/ two marks are. What did you define as Demand? I have not learnt it so I had to make it up in the exam.
The hardest question for me was the first one. Demand means demand! Don't demand a definition of demand; it defines itself! I put something like 'the extent of want/need of a product/service'.
Reply 199
Well I said basically that:

1. It can act as a USP.
2. Brand image makes it easier to launch new products.
3. The brand image means that they can increase prices above average.

Oh good. I guessed at roughly the same and applied to case study. I'm sure you'll get marks for that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending