The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

im hoping something of a cliche like the light brigade will come up on thursday
Original post by NorwichCityFC
Just realised that forever reason (lets blame it on the pressurised 'exam situation), I said "Capable" (in the Slim OMAM extract) was a verb. Will I get marked down for this?

why would you be marked down for that?
Original post by sarahrimington
You only answer one of the two questions :smile: I answered part a.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to do both part a + b in OMAM section to give yourself a chance at attaining 34/34. Please tell me you didn't do both the questions for section a...
Reply 1923
For AIC I answered question 17 about the extract at the end but I also wrote the majority on language used throughout the book e.g dramatic irony and imagery? Did i answer this question wrong or will i still get marked for it? What was the actual Question?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AND REPLY
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
That's pretty much what I did! I just talked about Curley and his boots etc, I briefly mentioned the Boss. I didn't even write about Slim, as I'd just be repeating what I put for part a :/

yeah... I think it'd be quite unfair if we got penalised a fair bit tbh... maybe a few marks, but im sure if you mentioned the context (which I did), it shouldnt be too bad. Its actually annoying, cos i think my actual essays were pretty decent... hopefully it shouldnt affect anything
Reply 1925
For OMAM part b), I just wrote about Crooks- his room 'leaning off the side of the barn', and a little bit about how Curley's wife treated him. Maybe 1 1/4 page. Don't think I did enough... the invigilator didn't tell us how long we had left, just told us to stop writing, which annoyed me.
Original post by haqi2
I did just over 10 pages in total, but I rushed it a lot.
Here are the points I made: AIC: Eric is nervous, there is a generation gap and they live in a rose tinted bubble of wealth while he does not
OMAM: Question A: The solitaire cards were upside down to him,he wore denim jackets..like the others, he is kind and understanding to George and Lennie
Question B: Water snake eaten, survival of the fittest, Curleys wife higher than Crooks, solitaire involves stacking, it was like the Wild West e.g. mob rule, no fair trials

Did anyone do the same/similar points, and are these imaginative and insightful enough?

Basically me and you wrote the exact same for part b of OMAM.
For QA - I wrote about his Tall figurative influential figure.
Long black, damp hair - biblical reference/anti-christ/ he befriended the ranch workers like Jesus befriended lepers/lower-class
Godly like figure (forgot quote)
Slim being an almost paradoxical dictator whose democratic within the ranch.
He was the only one who understood G+L
He offered hope to members within the ranch (absolute forgot the amazing point I made on this)
Slim is the anchor of the ranch family. And wrote a fair bit more.
How he is the only guy within the entire ranch who is shown as almost as a perfectionist with very little weaknesses (again relating to Godly characteristics) Infallable.
Eric question went fairly well - couldn't do a mini conclusion because ran out of time.
Just poetry to go now and Language exam :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1927
Soooooo glad thats over... My worst subject out the way!! Wooooooo ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369067486.065810.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ryanb97
hey i did ralph :teehee:

i started of by doing the beast then i thought.... i dont know crap about it... i only revised for the conch and ralph

then i switched..made a new plan and then scribbled like hell !!

i thought LOTF is always fairly good though - i think i did really well here!!

how much did you write??

oh and i hated the OMAM question to... i actually thought that he was to minor... grr.... hopefully i can still get an A

are you doing poetry on thursday..if so what cluster??

ryan
Someone else did Lord of the Flies :biggrin:?! I'm not the only one!!
Reply 1929
Original post by Sivvy
I was so happy they asked about Slim! And then in Part B talked about Candy and Crooks who were treated the worst and seen as less important. And my class did the crucible and I answered the question about witch hunting. Disappointed that I didn't speak about the themes enough.

what did you write for the crucible Q?
Original post by cleveradam
You have to do both part a + b in OMAM section to give yourself a chance at attaining 34/34. Please tell me you didn't do both the questions for section a...

What's OMAM?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1931
Original post by queenly
anybody do sunlight on the grass? managed to misread the question as carla's relationship with the head instead of the head and teachers and answered that instead. luckily i had time at the end to edit and add in more paragraphs like the class divide that kenward symbolised and knot of teachers etc.

but i'm curious to see which stories other people did?

For Polish Teacher's Tie, my brain just locked up. Couldn't find any quotes. Managed to pull a few paragraphs together from 'I'm half-polish. They don't know that here.' and 'very keen on fairness, we are, here.' Wish I'd revised that more. For part (b), I wrote about Compass and Torch, with two paragraphs for the Boy+Jim and the Boy+his Father. That was much easier.
Reply 1932
Original post by laylarose
Royally ****ed this exam up. I'm absolutely devastated as English Literature is meant to be my best subject :emo:

I picked the beastie question for LOTF - this was an utter joy to write and I feel I did really well here. However, I almost yelped in pain when I saw that Slim was for OMAM - I had prepared more thoroughly for a George or Lennie question. And to top it all off, I didn't finish my OMAM essay - I only made two points :frown:

PITY ME, SOMEONE!

Dont worry I feel you , my AIC was dreadful , when I came out of my exam and people saw my face , they were like 'who died?' I just said my chances of getting an A* :no::no:
Original post by cycahm
Me too but I don't think my points were outside the box.. I think you'll definitely get a solid A at least since your points sounds great :smile:

Thanks love, hopefully we both get A/A* overall, cant wait for AS; No more English, lmao.
Original post by laylarose
Royally ****ed this exam up. I'm absolutely devastated as English Literature is meant to be my best subject :emo:

I picked the beastie question for LOTF - this was an utter joy to write and I feel I did really well here. However, I almost yelped in pain when I saw that Slim was for OMAM - I had prepared more thoroughly for a George or Lennie question. And to top it all off, I didn't finish my OMAM essay - I only made two points :frown:

PITY ME, SOMEONE!

I feel the same! I did the 'beast' question too (putting it in speech marks throughout the answer, I was unsure whether to or not) and it was AMAZING, there was so much to say! But I struggled more with the OMAM essay, there was less to say. In part a), I ended up continuously referencing how the ideas preseted in the passage were build up in the rest of the novel: 'godlike eyes', understanding George killing Lennie etc :/ -High five- LOFT chum.
Original post by Ryan Mc17
No, sorry, you answer both parts (a) and (b) either separately or as one big essay

What exam do you do? On mine it says answer one or the other haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1936
For the Slim passage in OMAM, I mentioned that 'long dark hair' is a similar appearance to Jesus, with obvious connotations, which was something I read here. Is that a valid point or too silly?
Original post by jay_em
For the Slim passage in OMAM, I mentioned that 'long dark hair' is a similar appearance to Jesus, with obvious connotations, which was something I read here. Is that a valid point or too silly?

I write that to as he is appeared to be god like by his age less fc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1938
Original post by harris12345
it was about the witch hunts!!

Was the Q how does Miller present the ideas about witch hunts?
Original post by jay_em

Sounds valid to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending