The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abbseh
Apparently quite a few people for my school and a close school found this really difficult, maybe lower boundaries than people are saying?

A couple of people I know as well messed up a lot as well, but the generally everyone would agree that it's easier compared to past papers.
Reply 1281
Original post by .raiden.
Not necessarily, I got 112 with 64/70. So it seems as though 1 raw mark is just above 1 ums.
Sorry, I meant I got 63/70. Just checked on the aqa website - http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums
Mr Suhk.... Check your revision book and then talk. Do not just say what you think is correct.
Reply 1284
for which question mate, im pretty sure im right about the interactions
Reply 1285
Original post by Abbseh
Apparently quite a few people for my school and a close school found this really difficult, maybe lower boundaries than people are saying?

It all depends on the country. What people must realize is because the people who usually comment here roughly A/B boundary, they're going to say 'oh the exam was easy/moderately easy/fine'. So the grade boundaries here may be augmented slightly. I remember last year during my GCSEs, people here were saying, exam was easy, so 90 UMS will be 54/60. Surprisingly, 50/60 was 90 UMS. It all does truly depend.

My personal belief is that this paper will be 67-68/70 for 120 UMS.
Original post by Mr.Suhk
for which question mate, im pretty sure im right about the interactions

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_hadrons_and_leptons
Reply 1287
of course that true- lleptons are not affected by the strong interaction- this doesnt mean that hadrons are not affected by the weak.
Reply 1288
Original post by Mr.Suhk
what are you on about- they can experience more than one interaction - the weak affects all, strong only if made up of quarks

Hadrons interact through the strong force, Leptons through the weak. Both interact through the Electromagnetic Force if charged. Hadrons decay through the weak interaction, they don't interact through it.
Original post by ac3xx
Hadrons interact through the strong force, Leptons through the weak. Both interact through the Electromagnetic Force if charged. Hadrons decay through the weak interaction, they don't interact through it.

CORRECT! :tongue:
Reply 1290
yes the weak interactions affects all particles though, thats what i mean to say
6c i got 2.9A then the next part i got 1.3A then i got 4.4 ohms then for the next part i calculated all the power dissapated correctly but mines added to 50.7 so when i divided by the current i didnt get exactly 12. how many marks will i get out of 12??? sorry if this poorly worded
Reply 1292
Original post by StalkeR47
CORRECT! :tongue:

A decay is still an interaction I think, and even if it isnt, if it decays by weak then it still experiences the weak force. All particles experience the weak force.
Original post by Mr.Suhk
yes the weak interactions affects all particles though, thats what i mean to say

No, you said hadrons interact through both strong and weak interaction. Careful!
Original post by Blayney
A decay is still an interaction I think, and even if it isnt, if it decays by weak then it still experiences the weak force. All particles experience the weak force.

Yes! And of course hadrons do not interact through weak interaction.
Reply 1295
Original post by pilotluke1
6c i got 2.9A then the next part i got 1.3A then i got 4.4 ohms then for the next part i calculated all the power dissapated correctly but mines added to 50.7 so when i divided by the current i didnt get exactly 12. how many marks will i get out of 12??? sorry if this poorly worded

Did you calculate the power transformed by the battery?
Reply 1296
Omg my bad. In my exam i wrote affects. Im sorry for my miswording, pretty **** at english.
Reply 1297
Original post by StalkeR47
No, you said hadrons interact through both strong and weak interaction. Careful!

What about a neutron-neutrino interaction where the W- boson causes the neutrino to change into an electron? Or a proton - antineutrino interaction where the W+ boson causes the antineutrino to form a postiron?
Reply 1298
Original post by NedStark
A couple of people I know as well messed up a lot as well, but the generally everyone would agree that it's easier compared to past papers.

Everyone I've talked to around hated it and thought it was horrible, very few thought it was good. Thankfully I thought it was good but the overall consensus (not including the student room which obviously would say it was okay) thought it was a bit horrible. Apparently there were tears :/
Original post by GeneralOJB
The frequency of the photons are all the same, it was monochromatic light. There's a max KE as the electrons nearest to the surface only require the work function (minimum energy) to be removed. The one's deepest in the metal will require more energy and have a lower KE.

The question asked what affect would decreasing the frequency so does that agree with what I wrote, I think that's what I was trying to say. If you imagine the threshold frequency of a metal was 6×10146\times10^{14} for example, at this frequency the photons would only have energy to remove the electrons nearest to the surface as the photons absorbed by electrons further in would only cause them to collide with other particles within the metal and lose their KE.

Increasing the frequency then to 7×10147\times10^{14} say, will mean that electrons further from the metal's surface will have energy sufficient to leave the metal so more electrons emitted when freq increased?

I looked at a quick interactive animation and increasing frequency meant higher photoelectric current.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending