The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Final thoughts on the season whilst I'm watching MOTD ...

I believed at the start of the season that we'd win the title back fairly easily this year. I don't think Mancini did a bad job at City even this year, I just think that our noisy neighbours had a major culture shock. Playing Manchester City has never, ever been any teams "cup final" so to speak, like a game against United. All those teams in the middle third that have no real risk of relegation and no real hope of making Europe by Christmas have always had one major thing they could achieve ... beating the champions. This year, City have had every team in England desperate to beat them, and it's just been too much for them. United are used to teams giving 110% against us week in and week out and we've learned to adapt and pick them off.

From United's point of view, a great season. We walked to the league title fairly comfortably, and we have a great squad going forwards. Players like De Gea and Rafael have really become excellent, with the likes of Cleverley and possibly even Januzaj to come through. Evans, Jones and Smalling are all young and talented defenders that'll plan a major role in our future. Shinji Kagawa has the potential to become an excellent creative midfielder in the Premier League, Van Persie is a world class centre forward. Nani has a lot of potential he's still to realise, if he gets a run in the team he could. Wayne Rooney, assuming he stays, could be a top class attacking midfielder if he's moved back there. Chicharito is great at what he does. Valencia and Young could get back into form again given the chance, even Danny Welbeck is young and has time to work on his end product. And of course Michael Carrick ... top class, the solid driving force behind the team.

This is a very strong squad which has the potential to get better and better within the next three years, even if we don't make any signings. I'm very excited for the future. If Moyes sets United up to play fast attacking football and puts his strongest team out wherever possible, which I actually think he will, we could see something special next season. I hope the football is entertaining, I know that whatever happens it'll be interesting. I haven't been this excited about a new season in a long, long time.

David Moyes' Red and White Army!!! :biggrin:
Reply 4381
Hernandez got to 50 goals for Utd yesterday.

Really impressed with his 18 goals in 36 games this season, especially as so many of those appearances were off the bench. He also got 4 assists. I hope he gets a little more action next year.
Is it me or does anyone else here think United wont make any big signings this summer? i.e Bale/Falcao/Ronaldo etc
I wonder what we'll do with Fabio + Buttner.

It would, in a sense, be overkill having all 3 in our squad. Fabio, imo, is better than Buttner but we can't exactly somehow sell someone who has only been here a year.
Reply 4384
Maybe Fabio will be seen as cover for both flanks. Rio will probably play less, and no one seems quite sure about the status of Vidic's knee, so Jones and Smalling could be required at CB more than previous seasons. And I think against **** opposition it's a shame to play Jones or especially Smalling there because we lose so much attacking threat.

Original post by MancBoy
Is it me or does anyone else here think United wont make any big signings this summer? i.e Bale/Falcao/Ronaldo etc

I'd say we have to address the midfield, but then again i've been saying that for years. Thing is the presence of Sir Alex went a long way to filling that void, he was worth as many points as a good central midfielder, but not the same guarantee with Moyes so hopefully we're finally forced into it.

In terms of 'superstars'...can't see how Falcao would work. But Bale or Ronaldo would fit in ideally, Moyes should just say 'try and make it happen but i'll plan for life without them'. Don't think it can be considered a likelihood...but christ it'd be exciting watching either link up with Kagawa and RVP.
Fellani rumours picking up he would
finally
add
some
bite tto utd
Reply 4386
Original post by MancBoy

Bale won't leave Spurs. But if by some miracle Spurs do decide to sell him, it'll be abroad.
Falcao to Monaco sounds done.
Ronaldo probably won't leave Real. I'd imagine the first thing the new manager there will do is to get that situation sorted out, and selling one of the best players ever won't improve his team.

I'm not sure what we'll do really. I think Moyes will respect Everton and not pinch any of their players, so I don't think there's anything in the Baines/Fellaini stuff. I'm still interested in the Wanyama stuff, but I don't really know how good he actually is, only seen highlights.

We're being linked to everyone left, right and centre naturally. The papers would have you believe we're buying Fabregas, which I find somewhat unlikely. There's the Lewandowski stuff; he's gotta go somewhere, and BVB would rather that not be to Bayern.

I think we need to sign some players. Chelsea and City will strengthen massively this season, and we need to make sure we keep up. There are several positions we need a stronger starter in, namely LW, RW, CM and LB imo. But, of course, the players we have in those positions currently may actually step it up to the levels they've shown before, but that's a bit risky to rely on. Also, it depends on who we sell, as we'll need to then reinforce those positions.
(edited 10 years ago)
The story to watch this summer, if any, is Benzema from Madrid to United.

I dont know how likely it is but its the only one of the rumours that has any actual substance behind it.
Reply 4388
Original post by Kenan and Kel
So, let's see some predictions for our starting XI (and subs) against Wigan in the Community Shield :colone:

Assuming we don't sign anyonre and Rooney doesn't leave I'd like to see

De Gea

Rafael
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Carrick
Cleverley
Kagawa

(With Carrick in the DM, Clevs in the CM and Kag in the AM)

Rooney
RVP
Welbeck

(All interchanging positions depending on the situation of the match)

Would be interesting.

Subs: Lindegaard, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Zaha, Valencia, Hernandez

(I know, no Nani, I'd just like to see Zaha get a run out maybe)
Come to think of it, Marchisio would be a nice fit next to Carrick. I still think we should have pushed to attract Daniele De Rossi all them seasons ago.
Falcao is definitely leaving apparently, it's on :colone:

Wonder if we'll ever find out if the half-reliable rumours we paid an initial fee to be kept in the loop + have first dibs if we match any other bid is true or not.
Reply 4391
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Come to think of it, Marchisio would be a nice fit next to Carrick. I still think we should have pushed to attract Daniele De Rossi all them seasons ago.

Yeah his style would be ideal. Basically anyone who can run could play with Carrick, he just needs a bit of energy alongside him. Shame Modric sorted himself out in the 2nd half of the season. Someone suggested Alex Song before and that's a great shout, even if he did this :mmm:
I'd say the Fellaini transfer is the most likeliest one for the obvious reasons. He's stated he wants to be played in the DM role that he prefers and him alongside Carrick, in Europe and in the big PL games would be a nice contrasting partnership. It would also allow Jones to be focus on a CB slot. Fellaini, if needed, could be pushed further forward if need be and an aerial threat.

Benzema, if Rooney goes (which I doubt as Moyes will probably talk him round unless Roo gets a sniff that he won't be on the same money for when the contract is re-negotiated) isn't the one I was thinking of as a replacement. He did well last season in Madrid's title win but this season he's regressed a few steps back. But maybe that is down to Mourinho's relationship with him, or a lack of it.

Moyes has been discussing his back room staff today. Great to see Albert the kit man get papped with SAF in the front seat and Moyes in the back! I really hope he keeps Rene as his number two and bring Steve Round as a coach. Phil Neville, not really ready for a coaching job with us yet, should stay at Everton for that.
Original post by Aky786UK
I'd say the Fellaini transfer is the most likeliest one for the obvious reasons. He's stated he wants to be played in the DM role that he prefers and him alongside Carrick, in Europe and in the big PL games would be a nice contrasting partnership. It would also allow Jones to be focus on a CB slot. Fellaini, if needed, could be pushed further forward if need be and an aerial threat.

Benzema, if Rooney goes (which I doubt as Moyes will probably talk him round unless Roo gets a sniff that he won't be on the same money for when the contract is re-negotiated) isn't the one I was thinking of as a replacement. He did well last season in Madrid's title win but this season he's regressed a few steps back. But maybe that is down to Mourinho's relationship with him, or a lack of it.

Moyes has been discussing his back room staff today. Great to see Albert the kit man get papped with SAF in the front seat and Moyes in the back! I really hope he keeps Rene as his number two and bring Steve Round as a coach. Phil Neville, not really ready for a coaching job with us yet, should stay at Everton for that.

Rene isn't even no.2 he's first team coach. Mike Phelan is no.2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TopStudent258
Rene isn't even no.2 he's first team coach. Mike Phelan is no.2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct but when I said keep Rene was in relation to keeping him within the first-team routine, he's very much admired.
Rene is far more important than Mike. I'd like to see him become #2 but I can't see him wanting the job, he's good at what he does already.
Original post by IanDangerously
Rene is far more important than Mike. I'd like to see him become #2 but I can't see him wanting the job, he's good at what he does already.

He does seem a reserved type slightly but the number two role's duties, on top of what he does atm, might involve doing the odd press conference or interview for when Moyes is away so I'm sure he could add the duties of number two, be sad if he doesn't.

Mike as number two, I imagine, has been the bridge between the players and manager because he does get on well with the players and maybe Rene has a more distant approach as he directs the training sessions and the only reason he might not want the job is to detract from the efficiency of his coaching?
U21 final kicks off soon

Amos, Vermijl, Thorpe, M. Keane, James, Cole, Pearson, Ekangamene, Tunnicliffe, Lingard, Januzaj.
2-0 down at HT because the tactically inept coach decides to play without a striker, yet again, like the majority of the season where it's continually showed it doesn't work
Original post by Tommyjw
2-0 down at HT because the tactically inept coach decides to play without a striker, yet again, like the majority of the season where it's continually showed it doesn't work

Must have worked a bit considering we're in the final:tongue:

Latest