The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olympiad
Yeah!
He's another kid in inspector calls - TSR also predicted him :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaah, I do Sunlight on the Grass. It's an anthology and there's always a choice of questions, unfortunately, one of the questions that came up was to explain feelings in 'Something Old Something New', which was the only story I didn't read, (because it's incredibly long and I'd heard it's not really worth it if you know the others inside out) and one other story. The other question was about relationships but it was in the story I liked but the relationship isn't very fun to write about. I was hoping for the thoughts and feelings question but on a story called 'The Darkness Out There' or '100% Perfect Girl' or 'When the Wasps Drowned'. It didn't go too bad though, could have done worse... I'm just hoping to do well to make up for my pitiful performance in poetry to come on Thursday :tongue:
Original post by techno836
I mentioned that too xD :five: !!!

and I did that exam in june last year and got full UMS (not bragging or anything ;D ) ... no idea how I though I had messed it up :lol:

I did lord of the flies and blood brothers :smile:
if I remember correctly the questions for LOTF were 'which characters do you feel most sympathy for explain why ?' and a diary question I think :/

How did you revise for it? I'm sound on lord of the flies but dreading a view from the bridge as I know like nothing!! :tongue:
Reply 2782
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
What exam board were you for English Literature?

I was with Edexcel

AQA :smile:
Yes please please with a cherry on top :biggrin:
Speaking of cherries, I haven't had one in ages :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't like cherries :/

Where would you like me to start? From the beginning? Inverse functions?
Original post by Pabblethefish
Aaah, I do Sunlight on the Grass. It's an anthology and there's always a choice of questions, unfortunately, one of the questions that came up was to explain feelings in 'Something Old Something New', which was the only story I didn't read, (because it's incredibly long and I'd heard it's not really worth it if you know the others inside out) and one other story. The other question was about relationships but it was in the story I liked but the relationship isn't very fun to write about. I was hoping for the thoughts and feelings question but on a story called 'The Darkness Out There' or '100% Perfect Girl' or 'When the Wasps Drowned'. It didn't go too bad though, could have done worse... I'm just hoping to do well to make up for my pitiful performance in poetry to come on Thursday :tongue:

I did the anthology as well :smile: What story did you compare the first question to?
Original post by Bude8
I don't like cherries :/

Where would you like me to start? From the beginning? Inverse functions?

Yes please :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any predictions for what will come up in the Edexcel iGCSE English Literature tomorrow for An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men?
1st one I put he can put a lid on it to stop energy being wasted to heat surroundings and also surround the beaker with cotton wool for the same reason :smile:

2nd one I put ... because they can be measured in J/gram or something and each will have the same inaccuracy with same control variables :smile:
( summat along those lines :L )

yes physics -_- where I can't get an A* :frown: and need 68 UMS for an A ... I say is there any point in revising ?

I was going to say put a lid to prevent heat loss to the surroundings :/ .. but I thought they weren't asking that, so I put that he should repeat the test several times to improve the repeatability and that he should calculate an average, discarding the anomalous results.. Would I get some marks :frown:
Original post by IGCSE Student
Any predictions for what will come up in the Edexcel iGCSE English Literature tomorrow for An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men?

Have you tried looking on the thread for that paper? People may have already written predictions there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilialucy
How did you revise for it? I'm sound on lord of the flies but dreading a view from the bridge as I know like nothing!! :tongue:

http://www.sparknotes.com/

took some ideas from here :smile: already had my own planned and I made sure I knew a load of small quotes that I could use for themes and symbolism as they can be used for characters as well :smile:
Original post by PriyaPaul
I was going to say put a lid to prevent heat loss to the surroundings :/ .. but I thought they weren't asking that, so I put that he should repeat the test several times to improve the repeatability and that he should calculate an average, discarding the anomalous results.. Would I get some marks :frown:

yeah I would imagine so :smile: that is accuracy :smile:
yeah I would imagine so :smile: that is accuracy :smile:

I hope I do.. thanks :wink:

So, a function, f(x), can be applied to any valid 'input'

f(x)=x2+2f(x)=x^2+2
examples
f(19)=192+2=363f(19)=19^2+2=363
f(a)=a2+2f(a)=a^2+2
f(a+1)=(a+1)2+2[br]=a2+2a=3f(a+1)=(a+1)^2+2[br]=a^2+2a=3

Basically - you sub whatever's into the bracket wherever there's an x. Even if there's a fraction or w/e (more common in compound functions which I will cover now)

so let's say,
f(x)=x2+2f(x)=x^2+2 again
g(x)=x+5g(x)=x+5

What would fg(x) be? You can simply work out g(x) and then do f to g(x). Note that the order is right to left.

But if we express fg(x) in one function, it would be:
(x+5)2+2(x+5)^2+2
Yup - it's that easy, just put whatever's set as x, into x.

Compound functions can also be repeated but I've never seen it in a question, you could get gg(x).

Inverting functions functions:
Usually expressed as f^-1(x)
All you have to do is:
Take your function, let's use f(x)=3x+2f(x)=3x+2.
Replace f(x) with y.
y=3x+2y=3x+2
Solve for x
x=y23x=\frac{y-2}{3}
Now swap the x and y around, and then swap the y for f^-1(x)

Let me know if anything is unclear :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bude8
So, a function, f(x), can be applied to any valid 'input'

f(x)=x2+2f(x)=x^2+2
examples
f(19)=192+2=363f(19)=19^2+2=363
f(a)=a2+2f(a)=a^2+2
f(a+1)=(a+1)2+2[br]=a2+2a=3f(a+1)=(a+1)^2+2[br]=a^2+2a=3

Basically - you sub whatever's into the bracket wherever there's an x. Even if there's a fraction or w/e (more common in compound functions which I will cover now)

so let's say,
f(x)=x2+2f(x)=x^2+2 again
g(x)=x+5g(x)=x+5

What would fg(x) be? You can simply work out g(x) and then do f to g(x). Note that the order is right to left.

But if we express fg(x) in one function, it would be:
(x+5)2+2(x+5)^2+2
Yup - it's that easy, just put whatever's set as x, into x.

Compound functions can also be repeated but I've never seen it in a question, you could get gg(x).

Inverting functions functions:
Usually expressed as f^-1(x)
All you have to do is:
Take your function, let's use f(x)=3x+2f(x)=3x+2.
Replace f(x) with y.
y=3x+2y=3x+2
Solve for x
x=y23x=\frac{y-2}{3}
Now swap the x and y around, and then swap the y for f1(x)f^-1(x)

Let me know if anything is unclear :smile:

You are amazing.
Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are amazing.
Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, you don't need to keep on reminding me :colondollar:
Original post by PriyaPaul
I hope I do.. thanks :wink:

np :h:
Original post by Bude8
I know, you don't need to keep on reminding me :colondollar:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369073236.340777.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Half an hour of watching BBC parliament has concluded I hate a lot of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MattFletcher
Half an hour of watching BBC parliament has concluded I hate a lot of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lool..I'm not really interested in politics and the government :/
Maybe I should be...
Have you tried looking on the thread for that paper? People may have already written predictions there

Posted from TSR Mobile

What thread? Could you perhaps direct me towards it?

Latest