The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
Original post by Jimmy20002012
When it said shows how the reaction is conserved with that feynam diagram what did people put I did:

Charge and lepton number and the showed it by writing the equation of:

P ----> n + e+ + neutrino

Posted from TSR Mobile

The equation had to include up and down quarks, as opposed to protons and neutrons, I'm afraid.
Do the answers to these answers to the last page sound familiar to people.

1.03x10^-4
V=0.51
Voltmeter reading will increase
30,000 ohms. ?
Am I the only one that found it hard?
Reply 1323
Original post by StalkeR47
Interaction is always either w+ or w - in decay. Proton ---- turns into a neutron. So a hadron is responsible for weak since they decay through weak interaction. Not interact.

You're wrong. A decay is still an interaction. All fermions, that is, all particles with half-integer spin feel the weak force. You probably can't even explain how leptons even "interact" via the weak force so I don't know why you argue that so adamantly. Quarks can undergo neutral current interactions for the transfer of momentum, which are interactions not decays, and are mediated by the Z boson (a weak force mediator).
Original post by Me123456789

I found it midway compared to other papers i've done. :smile:
Hi guys,

The test was okay; didn't expect that 6-marker!

These are my answers. I'm not sure if they are right.

Q1
28 n, 20 p, 18 e
charge=+3.2x10^-19
specific charge=4.0x10^6 Ckg^-1

Q2
D quark, W+ boson, positron, electron neutrino
Weak interaction
B was the exchange boson
photon has infinite range, W+ has limited range
Charge conserved, baryon number conserved

Q3
6 marker, hadrons experience strong and weak, leptons weak only. hadrons are protons neutrons, leptons are electrons, neutrinos. both experience weak, both have antiparticles, both have charge. hadrons include baryons and mesons etc
proton, antiproton
antiparticles have opposite charge sign

Q4
E depends on f. 1 electron absorbs 1 photon. KE=hf-work function. Max value. KE is less than max if work is done on deeper electrons.
work function=1.8eV
frequency=4.4x10^14 Hz
frequency reduced, less energy, less kinetic energy
intensity increased, more photons per second, more electrons per second.

Q5
peak to peak=128V
peak=64V
RMS=45(.3)V
frequency=100Hz
DC= straight ine at 45V
Oscilloscope, y-gain is same as before, 20Vdiv^-1. Change time base to include 2 cycles. 1 cycle=10ms, 2 cycles=20ms, so 2msdiv^-1.

Q6
6.3V
5.7V across 2 ohm resistor
2.85A across 2 ohm resistor
1.35A across unknown resistor
4.2 ohm resistance
2.86 ohms total resistance
power: Internal resistor=26.5W, 2 ohm resistor=16.2W, other resistor=7.7W
energy conserved: battery power-total power dissipated=0
50.4-26.5-7.7-16.2=0

Q7
6.7x10^-5 A
1/3 V
resistance of LDR decreases, so greater proportion of pd across resistor, reading increases
30000 ohms resistance.

Tell me if there are any issues.
Good Luck!

PS, any ideas for grade boundaries?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1326
Original post by Me123456789

Original post by g.k.galloway
I found it midway compared to other papers i've done. :smile:

I didn't think it was especially difficult, but not the easiest. I think it was more that it was a "different" paper compared to most of the past papers, slightly different style questions. I agree with the "midway" comment though.
Anyone get 5.99 for one?...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeneralOJB
Oh I thought you were talking about the max KE question. Decreasing the frequency would mean the emitted electrons have a lower kinetic energy. If you decreased it enough, then yes, less electrons would be emitted and then eventually zero when it goes below f0.

Did you get these answers on the last page? you seem to know what you were doing.

1.03x10^-4 A
V=0.51
Voltmeter reading will increase
30,000 ohms. ?
Reply 1329
is 20v per division in the y-gain right or not?
Reply 1330
Original post by `God

I put 20V it seems the most sensible, but who knows. Does anybody know if it matters which way around you wrote the positron and electron neutrino for the feynman diagram? And also can you say that photon has infinite range and w boson does not for a mark? Cheers.
Original post by ac3xx
I didn't think it was especially difficult, but not the easiest. I think it was more that it was a "different" paper compared to most of the past papers, slightly different style questions. I agree with the "midway" comment though.

I think lots of exam boards are changing the style of their questions from Jan 13, I've found it to be the case so far, certainly for maths. We will have to see how biology differs, unit 1 (OCR) tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Jimmy20002012
When it said shows how the reaction is conserved with that feynam diagram what did people put I did:

Charge and lepton number and the showed it by writing the equation of:

P ----> n + e+ + neutrino

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey Jimmy! how are you and how did you find the exam. For me, it was an easy paper, definitely got an A!:smile:
Original post by Maloneyyy
Yeah that's what I did and got 30000 ohms :smile:

Really? Because I thought I got like 7xxxxx something, but I can't even remember :L Here's praying I got it right!
Reply 1334
Original post by g.k.galloway
I think lots of exam boards are changing the style of their questions from Jan 13, I've found it to be the case so far, certainly for maths. We will have to see how biology differs, unit 1 (OCR) tomorrow :smile:

Yeah, I've found that as well, especially with my Edexcel M1, question style was fairly different to the past papers. Good luck :smile:. I've got History wednesday, only subject I struggle on.
Reply 1335
Argh, i wrote 30 instead of 30,000 for the last question:angry:
Original post by ac3xx
Yeah, I've found that as well, especially with my Edexcel M1, question style was fairly different to the past papers. Good luck :smile:. I've got History wednesday, only subject I struggle on.

Yeh S1 was a little weird, but okay :smile:
Good luck! I abandoned History at GCSE, too much writing!!
Original post by frony0
You're wrong. A decay is still an interaction. All fermions, that is, all particles with half-integer spin feel the weak force. You probably can't even explain how leptons even "interact" via the weak force so I don't know why you argue that so adamantly. Quarks can undergo neutral current interactions for the transfer of momentum, which are interactions not decays, and are mediated by the Z boson (a weak force mediator).

I am correct! This is even written in the revision book.
Reply 1338
Original post by `God

I had 16 since:

8 vertical divisions,
Peak to Peak = 128V
so (128/8) = Y-sensitivity = 16.
Original post by Khenir
I had 16 since:

8 vertical divisions,
Peak to Peak = 128V
so (128/8) = Y-sensitivity = 16.

I got same.

Quick Reply

Latest