The Student Room Group

Higher Biology Exam?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xoJennyox
It is kind of hard to avoid your parents controlling your life if you are brought up in a strict household with pushy parents. I'm not complaining or anything tehehe but sometimes I wish my mum and dad would just chill a little. They wake me up in my sleep to tell me the importance of studying and getting into uni. Seriously. I can't complain to be honest, I wouldn't want my mum and dad not to care about my education :biggrin:.

It is great that you are pursuing what you are passionate about and being a scientist is a very respectable occupation. My younger brother wants to do something in science (even though he is like 12). He is very interested in chemistry and is teaching himself with an intermediate 2 textbook. He is so cute ^_^. However my parents want him to be a doctor haha!

Well I personally dont mind the advice, I just hate the pressure :biggrin:

and hahaha awwh...thats really cute, my little Sister is probably the most advanced person maths wise in her class, iv taught her basic algebra, times tables, decimals etc but they still dont want to move her up for some reason xD

And yeah I know its respectable but I'll put it like this, Science seems like a load of hogwash to them for some reason xD
Reply 201
Original post by Proud_Student
Well I personally dont mind the advice, I just hate the pressure :biggrin:

and hahaha awwh...thats really cute, my little Sister is probably the most advanced person maths wise in her class, iv taught her basic algebra, times tables, decimals etc but they still dont want to move her up for some reason xD

And yeah I know its respectable but I'll put it like this, Science seems like a load of hogwash to them for some reason xD

They have very high expectations. I cam home crying after my biology exam the other day because it went terribly. I couldn't even face my parents :frown:. It has really got me down because I did fairly well in my prelim. Never mind, I have English to worry about!

It must be very frustrating for you sister to sit there are learn absolutely nothing. The school will just throw more of the tedious work at able children when they are finished their tasks. My little brother was interviewed by the head teacher at his primary recently and he was asked: "what have you learnt this year?". And his response was "nothing". It is ridiculous how schools dedicate their time to the children who misbehave and don't follow rules -_-.

It just really hinders the ones that want to learn. And it is really nice of you to teach your sister stuff. My little brother is also very good at maths but I cannot teach him because I suck at it. He has just started to use some standard grade stuff but I have forgotten how to do all of it since I did not choose Higher Maths this year!

What does your sis want to do?
Original post by xoJennyox
They have very high expectations. I cam home crying after my biology exam the other day because it went terribly. I couldn't even face my parents :frown:. It has really got me down because I did fairly well in my prelim. Never mind, I have English to worry about!

It must be very frustrating for you sister to sit there are learn absolutely nothing. The school will just throw more of the tedious work at able children when they are finished their tasks. My little brother was interviewed by the head teacher at his primary recently and he was asked: "what have you learnt this year?". And his response was "nothing". It is ridiculous how schools dedicate their time to the children who misbehave and don't follow rules -_-.

It just really hinders the ones that want to learn. And it is really nice of you to teach your sister stuff. My little brother is also very good at maths but I cannot teach him because I suck at it. He has just started to use some standard grade stuff but I have forgotten how to do all of it since I did not choose Higher Maths this year!

What does your sis want to do?

She's undecided..and thats ok since shes only 10 :biggrin:

And I can understand your frustration, that biology paper was a nightmare, I dont think the full course was even addressed, there was so much that was missing, from viral replication to Animal behavior. Although I personally found it more of a problem solving paper, I hated it downright and I personally dont know how I did D:

As for the Schools yes I totally agree, I find it so annoying that so many people focus so much on the naughty children and I personally think they have dumbed down everything, when I was in P5 I was taught long division and big numbr sums involving multiplication and Algebra was introduced in Primary 7, my sister is in P6 and still has not covered it in class, thank god im going over some things and lol...im bad at maths too, just go over things you know well that make sense and link together, they will end up being enthusiastic and pick up things faster,

Oh your doing English too..yeah me too :biggrin:

I hate it ><

I'll be glad to see the back of it after this year and I have maths on Wednesday so its a busy week for me..then I have 8 days or so to study for Chemistry..which should be ok since It is usually a predictable paper and I enjoy revising it :biggrin:
Reply 203
I'm Indian. I was born in India but I moved here when I was 3 so I was brought up Scottish :smile:

I am planning on moving, I'm hoping to get a place in a university abroad, honestly (no offense to any Scottish patriots here) I find Scotland dull and I want to move asap xD

hahaha..you fainted, the most I do is panic and get confused, I did my History paper in Red ink despite it being told not to (my marker will love me for that) and I forgot my SQA number, my seat number, a calculater for my Biology one :lmao

Just stressing about English atm xD....and then Maths D:

I'm Indian. I was born in India but I moved here when I was 3 so I was brought up Scottish :smile:

I am planning on moving, I'm hoping to get a place in a university abroad, honestly (no offense to any Scottish patriots here) I find Scotland dull and I want to move asap xD

hahaha..you fainted, the most I do is panic and get confused, I did my History paper in Red ink despite it being told not to (my marker will love me for that) and I forgot my SQA number, my seat number, a calculater for my Biology one :lmao

Just stressing about English atm xD....and then Maths D:

Oo normally it is the Chinese who pressure their children into medicine and law sort of thing :lol: My mum and dad are always like "do what you want" "just try your best" :lol:

Wow I am insulted. Joke it's sht... but I think I'm going to go to uni here, we do have some good unis :smile:

Aye int 2 admin, I was looking at the computer screen and I was like.. I think I'm going to be sick so I asked to leave and then fainted into the teachers arms infront of the class... how embarrassing.

Stressing about English, then maths, then geography, then chemistry. THEN RESULTS

Soz for taking so long to reply internet went off then watch les mis :lol:
Original post by CSM1996
Oo normally it is the Chinese who pressure their children into medicine and law sort of thing :lol: My mum and dad are always like "do what you want" "just try your best" :lol:

Wow I am insulted. Joke it's sht... but I think I'm going to go to uni here, we do have some good unis :smile:

Aye int 2 admin, I was looking at the computer screen and I was like.. I think I'm going to be sick so I asked to leave and then fainted into the teachers arms infront of the class... how embarrassing.

Stressing about English, then maths, then geography, then chemistry. THEN RESULTS

Soz for taking so long to reply internet went off then watch les mis :lol:

I Know we have good uni here but I'v lived in Scotland all my life :d

I want a change of scenery I guess xD

And i have the exact same timetable as you only im not doing Geography.
Reply 205
I Know we have good uni here but I'v lived in Scotland all my life :d

I want a change of scenery I guess xD

And i have the exact same timetable as you only im not doing Geography.

So have i, doesn't mean i'm leaving!

And yeah a lot of people take 2 sciences so I've ended up with the same timetable as a lot of people on here :smile:
Original post by CSM1996
So have i, doesn't mean i'm leaving!

And yeah a lot of people take 2 sciences so I've ended up with the same timetable as a lot of people on here :smile:

I want to explore the world :wink: I want to see as much of it as possible :wink: yolo xD

and yeah, although only 3 ppl in my year other than myself following the exact same timetable, its a nightmare this year for me, cant wait to get it down and start again :P
Reply 207
I want to explore the world :wink: I want to see as much of it as possible :wink: yolo xD

and yeah, although only 3 ppl in my year other than myself following the exact same timetable, its a nightmare this year for me, cant wait to get it down and start again :P

Well same, but I will probably do it when I leave uni.

Well there are 8 people in my year with the exact same timetable as me then plus me :~) Although I'm quite looking forward to next year because there will not be a lot of people in my class. What subjects you doing next year?
does anyone have a copy of the paper?
Reply 209
Original post by scottishstudent462
does anyone have a copy of the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 211
If anyone has a copy of the paper, please upload it!
Original post by CSM1996
Well same, but I will probably do it when I leave uni.

Well there are 8 people in my year with the exact same timetable as me then plus me :~) Although I'm quite looking forward to next year because there will not be a lot of people in my class. What subjects you doing next year?

xD sorry for late response, Been hectic with English..and yeah Im planning on taking

Adv Biology
Adv Chemistry
Adv History (maybe)
Physics
Reply 213
xD sorry for late response, Been hectic with English..and yeah Im planning on taking

Adv Biology
Adv Chemistry
Adv History (maybe)
Physics

God I know, same! Eh how did English go??

I'm taking adv bio and chem too!! And maybe advanced maths but I'm still yet unsure, it's either that or higher pe :lol:
Original post by CSM1996
God I know, same! Eh how did English go??

I'm taking adv bio and chem too!! And maybe advanced maths but I'm still yet unsure, it's either that or higher pe :lol:

Its like im talking to my double education wise :eek:

And I'm considering advance maths but considering I hate Maths I think I'll struggle with it..my teacher will go "well you'll need to work and you dont show much love for it blah blah blah"

ANd English was okish...I did all the questions on the close reading but im still worried about it since I hate English (we go way back) and the Critical essays were a pain but I finished both so it could help me pull through :biggrin: my second essay was better than my first since I had a brainfreeze and picked a question that made sense, I did it but I realized there was a better one above it :awesome: but It was still done well to an extent (wish I put more quotes in now lmao)
, the second one was a godsend but I did it all but I wanted more in now that im sitting here typing and plotting revenge on English in general :biggrin:

how did English go for you? :3
Reply 215
Its like im talking to my double education wise :eek:

And I'm considering advance maths but considering I hate Maths I think I'll struggle with it..my teacher will go "well you'll need to work and you dont show much love for it blah blah blah"

ANd English was okish...I did all the questions on the close reading but im still worried about it since I hate English (we go way back) and the Critical essays were a pain but I finished both so it could help me pull through :biggrin: my second essay was better than my first since I had a brainfreeze and picked a question that made sense, I did it but I realized there was a better one above it :awesome: but It was still done well to an extent (wish I put more quotes in now lmao)
, the second one was a godsend but I did it all but I wanted more in now that im sitting here typing and plotting revenge on English in general :biggrin:

how did English go for you? :3

I really enjoy maths and it is one of my better subjects (well normally it is) so I think I would enjoy it (probably not though) :lol:

Yeah I felt it went ok, but people on here seem to be more confident that it was quite easy and I'm just like :[ "It was ok" :frown: Oh god I hate English too, I just feel that it was a waste of a subject for me this year because I won't ever use it again, but you need it to get into most unis so meh, it's over now (unless I have to resit then) I think I done the best questions for my texts but you could argue I didn't as I had a choice for both of mine :colone:

For the close reading I hate the evaluation questions then the end question :[ Hoping I at least pick some marks up in them :frown:
Original post by CSM1996
I really enjoy maths and it is one of my better subjects (well normally it is) so I think I would enjoy it (probably not though) :lol:

Yeah I felt it went ok, but people on here seem to be more confident that it was quite easy and I'm just like :[ "It was ok" :frown: Oh god I hate English too, I just feel that it was a waste of a subject for me this year because I won't ever use it again, but you need it to get into most unis so meh, it's over now (unless I have to resit then) I think I done the best questions for my texts but you could argue I didn't as I had a choice for both of mine :colone:

For the close reading I hate the evaluation questions then the end question :[ Hoping I at least pick some marks up in them :frown:

I misread it and scored out 1 page of writing and I had to redo it xD, most ppl I spoke to enjoyed Av maths but I dont think i'd like it ><

I'd much rather do History...xD
Reply 217
I misread it and scored out 1 page of writing and I had to redo it xD, most ppl I spoke to enjoyed Av maths but I dont think i'd like it ><

I'd much rather do History...xD

Omg..... how did you finish?

Geography > history :wink:
Original post by CSM1996
Omg..... how did you finish?

Geography > history :wink:

Well technically I did not finish for HIstory hahaha..well you see...I had to skip one paragraph on the final essay on Hitler but since I expanded on it before hand its not big loss since i put tons on analysis and more than the required number of facts, I finished the first essay bang on the time limit..the second..well I lost steam but did it :P

And I gave myself 15 mins for the last question incase of a brainfreeze like that xD
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 219
Well technically I did not finish for HIstory hahaha..well you see...I had to skip one paragraph on the final essay on Hitler but since I expanded on it before hand its not big loss since i put tons on analysis and more than the required number of facts, I finished the first essay bang on the time limit..the second..well I lost steam but did it :P

And I gave myself 15 mins for the last question incase of a brainfreeze like that xD

I would hate to do history... my friends always complain about it. Although probably because the higher history teacher is crap.

I couldn't do the last question :[

Quick Reply

Latest