The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by ra-ra-ra

Well, this is it then... tonight Porto will be crowned champions. I can't see anything other than a Porto win and I'd bet my life that that will be the case, the club are used to performing when it counts and tonight will not be an exception.

And to think it could have been us in this position if the match had finished on 91 minutes >_<
Original post by aa22
Well, this is it then... tonight Porto will be crowned champions. I can't see anything other than a Porto win and I'd bet my life that that will be the case, the club are used to performing when it counts and tonight will not be an exception.

And to think it could have been us in this position if the match had finished on 91 minutes >_<

And that is the reason why Liedson came to Porto - he can finally add the Liga title to his name.

I won't say much, the last thing you'll want is to hear a Porto fan.

Benfica did what they had to do tonight but then so did we. James' dive was outside of the box and he fell over his own feet. Jacksons goal was a nice volley.

I do feel very sorry for you and Benfica. This title has not been deserved as i keep saying to you, very lucky!
Reply 242
Original post by ra-ra-ra
And that is the reason why Liedson came to Porto - he can finally add the Liga title to his name.

I won't say much, the last thing you'll want is to hear a Porto fan.

Benfica did what they had to do tonight but then so did we. James' dive was outside of the box and he fell over his own feet. Jacksons goal was a nice volley.

I do feel very sorry for you and Benfica. This title has not been deserved as i keep saying to you, very lucky!

Heh, liedson probably deserves a Portuguese league title for what he did for Sporting. He didn't play much for Porto, but still..

I honestly don't mind at all. I had already resigned to losing the title after the Porto match and even a little bit after the Estoril match. Like JJ said, all champions deserve their title. Porto had a couple of draws earlier in the season, but we've also made the same mistakes only later on in the season. It all evens out in terms of who has had a better season league wise. The only difference being that in the head to head, porto were better..

That penalty + red card made things hard for Paços. There wasn't much hope for them with 11 men, so with 10 it was already impossible.

Oh well.. Congrats to Porto. But hopefully next season will be ours!
At least benfica put in a great shift this season, a european final too I'd say they've improved than recent years, where everyone talked about porto(under AVB e.g.) but I've kind of grown warming to benfica. It's kind of sad that you guys can't keep your players, if porto and benfica could keep their players they'd be in for the CL every season.
Original post by aa22
Heh, liedson probably deserves a Portuguese league title for what he did for Sporting. He didn't play much for Porto, but still..

I honestly don't mind at all. I had already resigned to losing the title after the Porto match and even a little bit after the Estoril match. Like JJ said, all champions deserve their title. Porto had a couple of draws earlier in the season, but we've also made the same mistakes only later on in the season. It all evens out in terms of who has had a better season league wise. The only difference being that in the head to head, porto were better..

That penalty + red card made things hard for Paços. There wasn't much hope for them with 11 men, so with 10 it was already impossible.

Oh well.. Congrats to Porto. But hopefully next season will be ours!

It's true, he does deserve a Liga winners medal. From his point it's a shame he never got one when at Sporting and it just happens he's got one by playing very few games. Although, i guess he did get one of the most important assists of the season.

I don't know. Playing wise we've been putting in some ugly performances and i know it's only about winning but with who deserves it most i really don't think we do. Benfica fell at such a crucial point and we're very lucky to be getting our 7th Liga trophy in 8 years.

Still the Taça left for Benfica though. Sadly i'll be missing this game. I love the Jamor (I think i've told you about this weird love for that ground before...) even though i usually hate grounds with an athletics track around it. I don't know what it is, I just love watching the Taça final as it's my one chance to see that ground so i am gutted to be missing this. One last chance for Benfica to get something.

Poor Moreirense, came up and now straight back down. Estoril on the other hand... wow. Europa League for them. Like with Paços getting the CL place, a fantastic achievement for Estoril to grab a place in Europe too. Nice to see RvW go out on a high for Sporting with grabbing a few goals. Quite interested to see how he'll do for Norwich now!

Original post by jam277
At least benfica put in a great shift this season, a european final too I'd say they've improved than recent years, where everyone talked about porto(under AVB e.g.) but I've kind of grown warming to benfica. It's kind of sad that you guys can't keep your players, if porto and benfica could keep their players they'd be in for the CL every season.

We know we can't keep these big players and some players just come to this league as this see this as a step into getting noticed throughout Europe. Hector Herrera is a prime example of this. He's due to be joining Porto (seems like he'll be a replacement for Moutinho) and he's already said he wants to join Porto so he can get noticed and get a move into La Liga.

Some interesting comments from the Porto players after the game when they were interviewed. It really sounds like Jackson will be leaving. He was very gracious and thankful about his time at Porto. Maybe it's just how he is but it really sounded as though this is it with the club. João not wanting to comment on his future - but since getting involved with Jorge Mendes i think we know he's gone. James is the other one, he actually said he wants to stay. I'm hoping with his wife being heavily pregnant she won't want to go through the whole moving house process... One more season? I think we've had our luck with having him and João to stay this season though. It'll be a busy summer!
Reply 245
Imagine a tournament between different leagues.
Yes it has many flaws but I think it be great!
EPL XI, Erdivisie XI, La Liga XI, Serie A XI, La Ligue XI, Primeira Liga XI, Bundesliga XI and Russian Premier League/Turkish Super League or any other leagues.

Each squad can only consist of a maximum of 2 players from each club.
Original post by senz72
Imagine a tournament between different leagues.
Yes it has many flaws but I think it be great!
EPL XI, Erdivisie XI, La Liga XI, Serie A XI, La Ligue XI, Primeira Liga XI, Bundesliga XI and Russian Premier League/Turkish Super League or any other leagues.

Each squad can only consist of a maximum of 2 players from each club.

Would be a good tournament at the end of the season.
Like an all-star tournament.
Reply 248
Original post by jam277
Would be a good tournament at the end of the season.

Original post by Malevolent
Like an all-star tournament.

Exactly. Non-Euro/Non-World cup year though.

Plus clubs may not be so willing.

--------

Mourinho has left. Maybe to Chelsea then?
Original post by senz72
Exactly. Non-Euro/Non-World cup year though.

Plus clubs may not be so willing.

--------

Mourinho has left. Maybe to Chelsea then?

Maybe the winner of that tournament could have the CL final be held in a venue of their choice :tongue:
Reply 250
Maybe the winner of that tournament could have the CL final be held in a venue of their choice :tongue:

Yeah, sounds good!

If only this tournament could actually happen!
Think the best XI match should be done every 10 years.
Original post by senz72
Yeah, sounds good!

If only this tournament could actually happen!

Would have the same problem as the other all star games in NFL and NBA. No incentive to do it since its a crowd-pleaser. If they had something to play for like that then that would be sweet.
Reply 253
Would have the same problem as the other all star games in NFL and NBA. No incentive to do it since its a crowd-pleaser. If they had something to play for like that then that would be sweet.

If it had an input into the UEFA coefficients then it increases the incentive but that's it I guess.
Charity :cool:
Reply 255
Original post by Multitalented me
Charity :cool:

If only....

We all know about these footballers.
I am going to see two MLS matches this summer. Both times I ma seeing Seattle Sounders at home XD. I am wondering how they will compare to the premiership and football league.
Original post by jacob1208
I am going to see two MLS matches this summer. Both times I ma seeing Seattle Sounders at home XD. I am wondering how they will compare to the premiership and football league.

If its anything like their NFL team since they play in the same stadium if I'm not wrong you will not be disappointed atmosphere wise and kit wise :tongue:
If its anything like their NFL team since they play in the same stadium if I'm not wrong you will not be disappointed atmosphere wise and kit wise :tongue:

That sounds great!. Have you seen them before? I am hoping to also see some NFL. What sport seasons are there in july? (which is when I am over there).
Original post by jacob1208
That sounds great!. Have you seen them before? I am hoping to also see some NFL. What sport seasons are there in july? (which is when I am over there).

I've seen the Seahawks and they were unlike anything I've seen in soccer or Basketball. Crowd noise level was unreal.

I think you may be in a bad spot there. NFL season is currently in off season and starts in late August. NBA season will be in off season when your there and starts October. Ice Hockey will be off season as well and start not in time. College Basketball and Football same thing :sad:

Only the MLS and Nascar is during July man.

Quick Reply

Latest