The Student Room Group

OCR Physics B G491 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by alex06
Yeah i got the same! For the question above the last one, did you put stress=Force/cross sectional area so therefore more cross sectionalleads to a smaller stress (i think it was 5 correct me if i am wrong) so therefore if you had 1nm of force it would be 1/1 and 1/5 so therefore 1/5 more?

Sorry if that makes little sense!

Yeah I put something like that to the same effect
Reply 121
Original post by metaltron
Really rough unofficial mark scheme, will be added to when people start commenting.

1. D (Diode) F (Fixed Resistor) L (Filament Lamp) (3)

2a) Difficult to scratch or dent (1)
b) Axe head would become blunt if soft (1)
c) Tough (1) so axe head does not shatter if a crack forms
OR Strong (1) so axe head can withstand large forces (1)

3a) 2×105s 2 \times 10^{-5} s
b) 16020=140kHz 160-20 = 140kHz
c) 1000 1000

4a) Current = VG (can't remember values)
b) 15mS 15mS

5a) 5D
b) 4.6 D

6a) 10730J (Is 3sf OK, I settled for 3sf in the end)
b) Energy / 540s = 20W (to 2sf) / 19.9 W (to 3sf)

7. no.of levels = 200/0.5 + 1 = 401
so no. of bits = 9

8a) i) Directly proportional to each other
a)ii) Sensitivity = 1.5
b) 72 bmp
roughly 113 pressure units
c) Heart beats last for same time
Peak pressure heart beats falls then rises then falls...

9a)i) 0.857 Mbyte < 1Mbyte
ii) Estimate and then execution.
b) i) 1.14×105bits1 1.14 \times 10^5 bits^{-1}
ii) Yes because frequency is higher than the information transfer rate.
iii) Stops deforestation linked to climate change/ etc. (1)
Puts people out of jobs/ too expensive for some people to buy appropriate technology/ etc...

10a) i) Concrete made of stones/ aggregate and cement, which both contribute their properties to the material.
ii) Any four from these and possibly more:
Stones are stronger than cement (1)
Weakest point is at boundary between stones and cement (1)
Under compression, the stress is concentrated on the stone (1)
Under tension, the stress is concentrated on the cement (1)
Brittle fracture occurs sooner in the cement that the stones (1)
b) i) 5
ii) 3
c) i) Stress = F / CSA (1), same force but 5 times CSA leads to 1/5 stress (possibly shown through algebra) (2)
ii) 1.5×108Pa 1.5 \times 10^8 Pa

Yayyyyy! I didn't fail :biggrin: probably dropped 3-7 marks but there is no denying that that was a tough paper. Well done to everyone IMO :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 122
Original post by alex06
Yeah i got the same! For the question above the last one, did you put stress=Force/cross sectional area so therefore more cross sectionalleads to a smaller stress (i think it was 5 correct me if i am wrong) so therefore if you had 1nm of force it would be 1/1 and 1/5 so therefore 1/5 more?

I did use stress = F/A but talked about the inverse proportionality is. Stress is proportional to 1/A there fore if area is five times larger, stress = k/5A therefore stress x area = k/5 therefore must be a fifth smaller

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 123
Original post by jehearo
I did use stress = F/A but talked about the inverse proportionality is. Stress is proportional to 1/A there fore if area is five times larger, stress = k/5A therefore stress x area = k/5 therefore must be a fifth smaller

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I talked about the inverse proportionality as well
Reply 124
Original post by alex06

However you would get the marks either way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 125
Original post by Paribas01
Yeah I talked about the inverse proportionality as well

Good good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 126
What was question 3 part c?
I think our paper was harder than last June but easier than January's, so around 42-43 for an A. What do you think?
Reply 128
seems about right
Reply 129
does anyone know the marks that go with each question?
I thought it was harder than January, but I think I'm in a bit of a minority here. So I'd agree with that for an A, with about 48/49 for 90%? (My personal target)
Reply 131
Original post by alex06
does anyone know the marks that go with each question?

Here is metaltron's mark scheme with the marks I am definitely sure about in red:

Original post by metaltron
Really rough unofficial mark scheme, will be added to when people start commenting.

1. D (Diode) F (Fixed Resistor) L (Filament Lamp) (2)

2a) Difficult to scratch or dent (1)
b) Axe head would become blunt if soft (1)
c) Tough so axe head does not shatter if a crack forms
OR Strong so axe head can withstand large forces (2)

3a) 2 \times 10^{-5} s
b) 160-20 = 140kHz
c) 1000 (1)

4a) Current = VG (can't remember values)
b) 15mS

5a) 5D
b) 4.6 D

6a) 10730J (Is 3sf OK, I settled for 3sf in the end)
b) Energy / 540s = 20W (to 2sf) / 19.9 W (to 3sf)

7. no.of levels = 200/0.5 + 1 = 401
so no. of bits = 9

8a) i) Directly proportional to each other (1)
a)ii) Sensitivity = 1.5
b) 72 bmp (2)
roughly 113 pressure units (2)
c) Heart beats last for same time
Peak pressure heart beats falls then rises then falls...

9a)i) 0.857 Mbyte < 1Mbyte
ii) Estimate and then execution.
b) i) 1.14 \times 10^5 bits^{-1}
ii) Yes because frequency is higher than the information transfer rate. (2)
iii) Stops deforestation linked to climate change/ etc. (1)
Puts people out of jobs/ too expensive for some people to buy appropriate technology/ etc...(1)

10a) i) Concrete made of stones/ aggregate and cement, which both contribute their properties to the material. (2)
ii) Any four from these and possibly more: (4)
Stones are stronger than cement
Weakest point is at boundary between stones and cement
Under compression, the stress is concentrated on the stone
Under tension, the stress is concentrated on the cement
Brittle fracture occurs sooner in the cement that the stones
b) i) 5 (3)
ii) 3 (2)
c) i) Stress = F / CSA (1), same force but 5 times CSA leads to 1/5 stress (possibly shown through algebra) (2)
ii) 1.5 \times 10^8 Pa (1)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 132
Original post by Mabes
Here is metaltron's mark scheme with the marks I am definitely sure about in red:

thank you very much! Gives me a better idea on how i did :smile:
Reply 133
How did everyone know what concrete was made from? I just knew about ceramics and then talked about their general structure, and how that means that slips are not able to take place? :/
Reply 134
Original post by HayyanN
How did everyone know what concrete was made from? I just knew about ceramics and then talked about their general structure, and how that means that slips are not able to take place? :/

I talked about ceramics too. I said that there was a polycrystalline nature due to the different materials orientated differently. Then I explained inability to slip etc.
For compression I said that directional bonds gave it a strong, rigid structure.

Hadn't got a clue about composite structures (apart from in a matrix) so just used what I knew. Hopefully the mark scheme will reflect it.
Reply 135
Yeah pretty much the same. I focused a lot on the bonds being directional, so restricted movement in terms of slips. I couldn't think of why it was effective in compression though, so I said that the actually bonds themselves are extremely strong, so therefore high compress ive strength. And also, I talked about the high concentration of stress initially at the tip, but I dont know if that is worth anything :/
Reply 136
I said something like "Concrete is tough when a compressive force is exerted onto the composite, beause it has an amorphous structure, not allowing the grains to slip past each other, however as concrete is a composite, (mixture), the material is not chemically bonded and there are no inter molecular forces, allowing the material to fracture suddenly with out deforming plastically when a tensile force is exerted.
Reply 137
Original post by RevisionEssence
Guys for question 4(b) unfortunately, the answer is not 15mS, it is 30mS. That is because Total conductance across parallel circuits is equal to them being added together. Therefore, 15+15= 30mS. I do hope others got that one right, because many seem to fail to understand why it ISNT 15mS.

sorry, it's definitely 15mS...
Reply 138
On the question about the axe head properties I'm pretty sure that it was asking about a property useful for manufacture in axe heads as opposed to the use of axe heads. I initially put strong but also added high melting point so can be hammered/shaped while hot without melting.
Reply 139
Original post by RevisionEssence
Guys for question 4(b) unfortunately, the answer is not 15mS, it is 30mS. That is because Total conductance across parallel circuits is equal to them being added together. Therefore, 15+15= 30mS. I do hope others got that one right, because many seem to fail to understand why it ISNT 15mS.
Yes the conductances across parallel add up to make 30 mS, but you then need to take into account the 30mS conductor that it is in series with. Because resistances in series add up, 1/((1/30)+(1/30)) = 15mS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending